Nervous about Mediterranean cruise in three weeks

MyMustang

Hi all! I'm Nervous about our Mediterranean cruise in three weeks. We are flying from the western US to Paris on Air France and are sailing from Genoa Italy going to several ports in Greece, then Israel, then back to Genoa. Since our stay in Israel is two days we have booked a hotel in Jerusalem near the old city for one night.

Has anyone cruised in these areas recently? Is anyone going soon or considered cancelling?

Has anyone recently been through Charles de Gaulle airport who could relate their experience regarding safety and security?

We have cruised in those areas (many times) but not recently. The current terrorist situation would not have any impact on our plans...if we were going on your cruise. To be honest, we would be a lot more concerned about December weather then terrorism.

As to CDG, you can anticipate that security will be tighter then normal. Personally we have no problem with CDG unless we have to change planes at that airport. This can be a real pain in the behind....especially if one has to change terminals.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Can't really answer your questions other than I have an employee who is in Paris this week and a good friend and her family traveling through Europe this week. Neither hesitated nor changed their plans. Security was tighter but manageable as long as you give yourself plenty of time

Have a great cruise

Hi all! I'm Nervous about our Mediterranean cruise in three weeks. We are flying from the western US to Paris on Air France and are sailing from Genoa Italy going to several ports in Greece, then Israel, then back to Genoa. Since our stay in Israel is two days we have booked a hotel in Jerusalem near the old city for one night.

Has anyone cruised in these areas recently? Is anyone going soon or considered cancelling?

Has anyone recently been through Charles de Gaulle airport who could relate their experience regarding safety and security?

Israel is probably the safest country to be in.

My cousins were to have a three day stop in Israel late last month, but the cruise line canceled those stops, so you must be prepared for anything, including your itinerary being changed. They were not told of the change until the day before they embarked the cruise.

I would not hesitate to go back to the Mediterranean.

No one can tell you how you should feel, but if it were me I would be prepared for more stringent security, and the possibility of delays, but that wouldn't stop me.

There is always the possibility of itinerary changes in any cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

A colleague of mine traveled to Paris (via CDG) for a meeting on the Sunday after the Friday terror attack and was there for two days. He said the airport security was tight with delays -- probably better now.

People are cruising the Med all the time. I have read in the past couple of weeks reports from cruisers just returned from river cruises that stopped in Paris and also from ocean cruises.

Of course, no one can guarantee that all will go smoothly and that everything is safe. (But one cannot guarantee that even if you stay at home....)

My only small concern would be that the ship might make a late decision not to port in Israel depending on the day-to-day situation. More of a risk in Ashdod than Haifa.

Just add that small risk to the usual small risks of a port being missed due to weather, mechanical issues, industrial action by dock workers etc.

Is your Jerusalem hotel stay while your ship overnites in port?

Other than the possibility of the port being cancelled (check your travel insurance & the hotel's cancellation policy), no worries. :)

Or are you overniting there while your ship sails from a day in Haifa to a day in Ashdod?

That's more of a concern, the second port might be cancelled late - same risk when planning a catch-up at any port in the world, for any of the above reasons.

So there are always risks to your logistics.

But risks to your safety?

More than 500 million people live in Europe.

Every day, including the day of the Paris atrocity, over half as many folk are killed on the roads as those in the Paris attacks.

So take care when crossing the road ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Several years ago, had both Haifa and Alexandria cancelled, on short notice and due to what was really a minor blip. So your travel agent should have warned you that cruise lines will cancel these stops at the drop of a hat before taking your booking, if these are must-see stops, should have recommended a different package. It bears no more resemblance to real security than the TSA theatrics at airports.

Edited by Dancer Bob

We also have been to many of these ports. While not recently I would not be concerned about the trip. Jerusalem is still one of the safest places in the world and I would not worry about the other areas.

Keith

How did you arrive at the conclusion that Jerusalem is one of the safest places in the entire world?:confused: