New Luggage Recomendations

:D Fellow cruisers: My DW is in the market for new luggage. So many choices. Soft sided, Hard sided, Duffel, Two wheels, 4 wheels. Looking for recommendations. Currently using Atlantic 10 yrs old, thanks to work related travel on my part, it's time. Looking at 28" for checked baggage. :cool:

Got some great rolling duffles (1 small / 1 medium size) from Travel Smith a few years ago. Small size fits under seats and in overheads on a plane. Each have loads of outside pockets and great space inside. They fold almost flat and roll effortlessly on 2 wheels. Best luggage I've ever had.

Probably cannot mention website here but I have had great luck with an online site. A google search should bring up a bunch of sites for you to do a price comparison. Just got a 4 wheel garment bag and so far so good. I would suggest looking for light weight. When it is time to replace our big suitcase we are lokking at a hard sided. Have had great luck with the Delsey brand. Excellent warranty.

We bought new luggage about a month ago. The luggage we have been using for the past 7 or 8 years is still in good shape but the weight of it is not good by airline weight regulations. We chose Samsonite Lift Spinner, two 29" one 25" and two 21" in a distinctive purple/blue color. Got it for an extremely good price too. :)

If you do go the spinner route (that is, a four wheeled suitcase), make sure it works just as well dragging it behind you (in the more traditional 2 wheel mode) as it does on four wheels. Also, as you are getting a giant suitcase, getting one as light as possible is important as it will be easy to make it way overweight for the airlines (if you plan on flying with it). At that size you may also want to consider maximum dimensions for checked baggage; it may be considered both heavy and oversized. Cha-ching.

I agree with Jake- the 29" is most likely going to be too heavy to fly with when filled. I have a 25" that I can pack and even extend if I must and it still is a bit less than 50 lbs. That and a carry on (a tote style) will be fine for a 10 day cruise for me- and I need "choices" for clothes and shoes :rolleyes:! If you dont have to fly- go for the 29"! I would love to have one for those 10 night cruises that I don't fly! Almost all will fit under the bed if you lift it up a bit to clear the metal frame.

After having the airlines break brand new luggage 3 times in a row... We have decided to go with LL bean luggage. Yes, its more expensive at first, but, when the airlines break a zipper, a wheel, etc. its guaranteed for life. Living in Maine, i will just plan on headed to ll bean after every trip in case it ends up broken.

just went through this also, need to stay light, yet maximize space. We found the spinners are great but add weight. Expensive isn't always better if its broke after two flight/ cruises. We found an amazing american tourister at of all places WM, 29" 7 lbs. only 2 wheels $69 3 or 4 colors, wont feel bad if they get damaged. About the color thing, buy a unique strap to wrap around any bag, secures it and makes it stand out

We are well aware of the size and weight restrictions. The night before flights, DW and I are constantly checking weights on both bags, average is 46 pounds. Yes dirty laundry does weigh more for the return flight, but we leave some behind. Oops, was that out loud?:D :eek: :D

Our newest luggage was a set of Ricardo, 28", 25" 22" and DH Garmet Suitcase. The upper compartment in each piece is like a garmet section for ladies pants, dresses or mens slacks. The bottom compartment carries everythig else and I had the 28 & 25 full of clothes and Roll Call stuff and kept each luggage around 45 lbs. If I didn't have all the door signs name tags etc to deal with, I probably could have taken the 25 plus my carry on.

I agree with those that posted re spinners. Yes it adds a little weight due to the wheels but man, is it easy to maneuver! We travel a fair amount (he 12-15 trips a year, me 6-8) so our luggage takes a beating. He really likes his Victorinox but to me it just looks dirty. I have samsonite spinners, not sure of the model, but I really really like them. I decided against the 29" due to it being too easy for me to overpack and go over weight! We went to local outlet mall and found them there.

I also have a hardsided spinner that is 19 or 20" and I prefer the soft side but thats why they make all kinds - so you pick what you like best!

If you plan on flying with the luggage I would be very careful with the 'total' size of the 28 inch bag. Some airlines may add the wheels and handles - and charge you an oversize bag fee. I bought a 25 inch so I would not have to worry - about the airlines getting stricter with their rules.

I agree with Jake- the 29" is most likely going to be too heavy to fly with when filled.

I love my 29 inch and it still stays under weight when full. My last flight it weighed in at 49.8 lbs :) Most of the time it is between 44-47lbs. Guessing the luggage weight in my family has become a game. I don't know how but my mom's carry on is always 40 lbs. I don't know how she does it.

We went through this about 2 years ago also as our favorite check in had finally come to the end of it's life. We decided we wanted a well made bag that preferably had a lifetime guarantee. What's interesting is some of the 'better made' non-lifetime bags were almost as expensive and definitely not that well made anymore.

We found a Briggs & Riley 28" (I think) that had all the bells & whistles we wanted. Hubby has a B&R carry on that's over a dozen years old and has traveled many times each year and still looks and feels brand new. So we got the new one. Used it for the first time in March and it handled like a champ. For the size it's amazingly light weight and held LOTS of stuff.

FYI - There are only about 4 or 5 companies that have lifetime guarantees on their luggage, one of which only has it on a certain line.

Happy luggage shopping. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Erika

Archived