Inside cabin

Opinion 1: We have cruised in oceanviews and in balcony cabins. When our kids were smaller, the balcony cabin was the cheapest way of obtaining a little extra space. Our preference is to cruise in a balcony cabin, and right now while we're still working and can't vacation all that often, we spring for the nicer cabin for our few vacations.

However, once we retire we plan to vacation more often, and at that point we'll start watching for last-minute /off-season deals. When we're able to vacation more often, we'll be more willing to take the cheaper rooms. Having said that, it'd have to be very, very cheap for me to go with an inside.

Opinion 2: I wonder if the "oh, you're never in your room anyway" comment is a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is, you're in a small, dark room; thus, you stay in the room less.

Not a particularly practical comment, more philosophical in nature.

Total of 5 inside cabins booked on FOS, never hesitated... We shoot for deck 7+ mid ship and have never had any trouble with noise. I enjoy the complete darkness while sleeping as well.

Edited by thegima

:GSt, it really depends on your priorities and only you can decide. Did you?

I have been in balconies, outside and inside and to save money and have my own cabin (my choice) I would book an inside first. I actually like them.

If I were with a special someone, I'd rather have a balcony - no matter what the cost.:)

Your choice?

We have usually booked balcony cabins, but with smoking not allowed on balconies, there is no reason to pay twice as much for a cabin anymore. We are sailing inside and outside our next 2 cruises. For inside cabin, I bring a nightlight with green bulb [seems more soothing for some reason] at night we turn television on to the bow cam, and turn sound off. In the morning as the sun comes up, the room gets lighter, and we can see what the weather is like.

We like 'em. Quiet if you choose a good spot (like any other cabin category; look what is above and below). Great for sleeping; super dark. Have not felt confined in them. Do suggest bringing a little plug in clock or setting phone to airplane mode so you can still see the time. When you wake up you have no feel for what time it is; always dark o'clock with lights off in an inside.

My first cruise was on Oasis with a Boardwalk balcony and loved it. I will taking a cruise on Freedom in Nov with my parents and brother in an inside. Space was my major concern for four people. But now I look back and we rarely spent time in our room when we were on Oasis. We were only there to sleep, shower and watch a little TV while people were getting ready or sleeping.

Plus we booked when it was 3rd and 4th sail free, and paid less than $1800 for the four of us. To get an ocean view or balcony, it would have been a good $1500-2000 more! We would rather save money on the cruise and spend more on board or on excursions, etc! Also I was willing to pay more for a bigger room, but my mom said that if we get an inside, I'll pay for the port fees and taxes, and you just pay airfare.....lol

Take the inside, save the money, and utilize deck 4. Its pretty much deserted out there at all times and you will have a HUGE "balcony".

Its one of my most favorite places on the ship. . . .

We think alike. On the Freedoms, my favorite place is where the promenade deck juts out around the MDR -- maybe my favorite outdoor spot on ship, see below:

DSC00295_zpsf9186c83.jpg

We think alike. On the Freedoms, my favorite place is where the promenade deck juts out around the MDR -- maybe my favorite outdoor spot on ship, see below:

DSC00295_zpsf9186c83.jpg

Excellent picture! I have to say that wheeling around that in my wheelchair while the ship is in motion was a little unnerving :D

Edited by ryano

I've only cruised once, and we had a balcony. My friends say they would NEVER cruise with an inside cabin - they did it once and felt it too confining. They say

"don't do it, you'll be sorry." But I was looking at this SUNDAY on the Freedom, and the only rooms left are inside. Good price, but if it's going to feel like a cave in my room, and if it's going to be noisy (which is what my friend experienced), I don't want to do it. There's always another time.

Any thoughts, cruisers?

I was one who said "no balcony, no cruise", ... well I lied. We've booked a window only cabin for next Oct. It's a New England cruise.

I figure it will be cool so we wouldn't use the balcony much anyway.

Two things I'm hoping for, ... that I don't hate it, and that the weather doesn't play games and we have usually warm weather. :eek:

If I were doing a Caribbean cruise, no way would I do an inside. Some people love them. Hope it works out for both of us. :)

I was one who said "no balcony, no cruise", ... well I lied. We've booked a window only cabin for next Oct. It's a New England cruise.

I figure it will be cool so we wouldn't use the balcony much anyway.

Two things I'm hoping for, ... that I don't hate it, and that the weather doesn't play games and we have usually warm weather. :eek:

If I were doing a Caribbean cruise, no way would I do an inside. Some people love them. Hope it works out for both of us. :)

Well, I'm headed out on Sunday - with a positive attitude. Yes, let's hope it works for both of us! Right now I'm just happy to be headed to a cruise ship...;)

To Inside Cruiser: So that walkway goes all the way around the ship? And past the main dining room windows? Wow! Good to know!

Edited by GonnaSailtoo

To Inside Cruiser: So that walkway goes all the way around the ship?

Almost all the way around but not quiet. The only Promenade deck that circled the entire ship was on Sovereign class I believe. Someone can correct me if Im wrong. :)

Edited by ryano

We went with my sister and brother in law on the Dream and they had an inside room. It was very small, but they managed pretty good. The only thing I can recommend is to be sure to bring a night light. It was VERY dark in their room with the door closed and no light on. It was really crowded with two in the room, but I would keep checking the prices and if it goes down, then I would get a room with a window or balcony. To us, a balcony is the only way to go. We spend a lot of time out of our room, but we also enjoy going back to our room and sitting out on the balcony. In the morning it is really nice.

For many, that balcony is a must. But people like me, I don't see the allure.

I've had a couple balconies in my cruises. I rarely used it. I didn't like the truncated view very much and the balcony above me seemed to obstruct the sky. I felt actually cramped on the balcony and really wanted to just get up on deck.

I go on a vacation to be around the ship, not hang out in my cabin. Therefore, interior cabins are what I prefer. I like sleeping in total darkness. It can be a little disorienting in the mornings, but its not a big deal.

As a little compromise, I didn't mind the promenade interiors that had windows to the promenade on the Independence of the Seas. I liked people watching from that little perch, but the window wasn't very clear, so it was barely passable. I would pay only a little extra for this, but not all the time.

I really loved hearing all the responses. You folks ROCK! I forgot to get a night light or electric candle today - one day left to do that. Looking forward to this experience now - want to know what I'll think when I'm inside. I DO love the dark...

:eek:

Edited by GonnaSailtoo