Are suites worth getting over a balcony room?

caryrae

Never cruised before but going for 1st time Oct 2011 on the Freedom 6 day Western Caribbean. Was wondering about rooms, it is just my wife and I, is an Ocean Suite worth the upgrade over a standard balcony room? I am thinking a room mid-ship may be better for movement since we have never cruised and don't know if any ship movement will affect us. I was pricing rooms and rooms on the Empress deck are Ocean Suite $2094 and standard balcony room is $1494 both mid-ship section. This cruise will be for my wife's 40th Birthday so I want something nice. Or if there is better rooms other places on the ship please give your opinions.

Never cruised before but going for 1st time Oct 2011 on the Freedom 6 day Western Caribbean. Was wondering about rooms, it is just my wife and I, is an Ocean Suite worth the upgrade over a standard balcony room? I am thinking a room mid-ship may be better for movement since we have never cruised and don't know if any ship movement will affect us. I was pricing rooms and rooms on the Empress deck are Ocean Suite $2094 and standard balcony room is $1494 both mid-ship section. This cruise will be for my wife's 40th Birthday so I want something nice. Or if there is better rooms other places on the ship please give your opinions.

I dont know what ship you are sailing on.. but I would suggest looking into an aft wrap (9C).. HUGE balcony .. cabin is standard size .. but so worth it for quality time on the balcony and the aft view is the best;)

I did put that it would be on the Freedom ship.

Missed it sorry...:o I would still go for the aft wrap... do a google search for aft balconies on Carnival. ... you will see ...I have had a normal suite once and have had aft wraps ever since... you need to prioritize what is more important a tub alittle more space a changing area.. or a HUGE balcony...

Sorry me too. If there are any aft wraps left, and you arent prone to getting seasick ... these cabins are awesome with balcony on two sides. Balconys are HUGE, bigger than on the suite.

That's the hard part since we have never been on a cruise I am not sure if we are prone to getting seasick or not, I mean we handle turbulence on planes and trill rides at theme parks fine but not sure if that's the same as a ships motion.

Unless you plan on spending time in the cabin there is no reason to upgrade to a suite for two people. We are in the cabin to dress and sleep, the rest of the time we are out and about so for us it would be a waste of money for the suite.

Looks like almost all of the aft wrap/premium Vista Balcony rooms are available. The ones available are the 2 on the upper deck, one on the empress deck (room 7445) and the 2 on the verandah deck. Which is best?

Unless you plan on spending time in the cabin there is no reason to upgrade to a suite for two people. We are in the cabin to dress and sleep, the rest of the time we are out and about so for us it would be a waste of money for the suite.

That's another thing to consider. Since it will be our 1st time we may wonder the ship more.

With the suites, you get a larger room, longer balcony and a larger bath w/tub and a dressing area...also more closet space, although not needed.

Is the suite $600 total more, or $600 pp? I'd take it if it were $600 total.

What other perks does a suite get you on Carnival? I've been in one, but cannot remember. Is gratuity more?

With the suites, you get a larger room, longer balcony and a larger bath w/tub and a dressing area...also more closet space, although not needed.

Is the suite $600 total more, or $600 pp? I'd take it if it were $600 total.

What other perks does a suite get you on Carnival? I've been in one, but cannot remember. Is gratuity more?

The prices I gave was the total for both of us together, so yes it would be $600 total more not $600 pp. As far as I can tell from reading the only perk I see for suites is VIP check-in during embarkation.

We usually book an OS (formerly known as CAT 11) suite, but since we cruise with kids......the extra room and storage really helps.

The bathrooms in the suites are larger and much nicer (marble and usually a whirlpool tub) than standard balcony cabins, if that sort of thing is important to you.

Also you will get VIP checkin and debarkation which is a very nice perk.

Since we only get to cruise as a family once a year......we don't feel to bad about the extra cost of the suite...

I have a different point of view: if this is your first cruise, and you're getting a suite, you could very well spoil yourself into not wanting any other type of room ever again! I'd gladly take a balcony or even an oceanview if that meant i could cruise more often :)

If you can easily afford a suite, then go for it...and yes, the aft wraps are great! I loved our suite with the extra room and all, but would we pay for one all the time? No. To us a regular cabin is ok, as long as we have a balcony, and the longer the better! We actually have 7439 booked on the Freedom...it is one of the less expensive cabin categories but has a VERY long balcony:D 7434 is the same but on the opposite side of the ship...

You're gonna be hooked!;)

Looks like almost all of the aft wrap/premium Vista Balcony rooms are available. The ones available are the 2 on the upper deck, one on the empress deck (room 7445) and the 2 on the verandah deck. Which is best?

That's another thing to consider. Since it will be our 1st time we may wonder the ship more.

I recently had an Aft Balcony on the Empress (unfortunately not a wrap) but love the location. Cabins both above and below - so you don't have to worry about common area noise. Plus 2 levels up to the Lido or 2 levels down to the Promenade made it easier to get around.

I would also go more for the balcony than having a tub and a little extra room inside. It's so nice to be able to drink your own wine and relax on your balcony watching the sun set.

I have a different point of view: if this is your first cruise, and you're getting a suite, you could very well spoil yourself into not wanting any other type of room ever again! I'd gladly take a balcony or even an oceanview if that meant i could cruise more often :)

I was thinking the same thing....very hard to go back once you've been at the top!;)

Valid point. Vacation avaliablily and school schedules pretty much limit us to one cruise a year so that's why we choose to splurge a little.

Once the kiddos are grown and gone, we may feel differently. :)

I have a feeling I am making the choice harder then it should be. I should just pick something and most likely will like whatever I choose once on the cruise. I just want to make it special for my wife's 40th B-day and our 1st cruise. I would ask my wife but it's a surprise and she doesn't know I am doing this.

IMHO, it is not worth $1200. You can do a lot of nice things on a cruise for $1200.

DON

Well it's not $1200 it's $600 more. Standard balcony is $1500 total ($750 pp) and Ocean Suite is $2100 total ($1050 pp) totals include pre-paid gratuities. Or if I do an aft wrap/Premium Vista Balcony it's $2000 total ($1000 pp).

We've had balcony cabins & more recently, a suite on the Destiny. While we LOVED the suite, the extra room & such, we probably wouldn't pay the significantly higher price for a suite again. We got an upsell call for the Desinty suite, and it was a pretty good deal, but probably will stick to our balcony cabins in the future. But that's just us.

Archived