Losing Weight for Your Cruise

dolphinmar

For those of you who want to lose weight before your cruise, I have a couple questions.

1. What are your biggest obstacles?

2. What motivates you?

3. How soon before your cruise do you start?

I sometimes think that cruising is one of my best weight control methods because in between cruises I don't want to gain weight where I wouldn't be able to wear my awesome cruise clothes!

Pam

Well I started my weight loss journey in January 2011. I've since lost 64 pounds. I have about 21 more to go to reach goal and I'm using my October 2012 cruise as my goal timeline.

1. My biggest obstacle is that I still like to enjoy an ice cold beer or a glass of wine. It's been very hard to get the last 20 off. I just maintain because I exercise a lot but I still drink.

2. What motivates me is that I want to look good in my cruise pictures. :p But seriously, what motivates me is the fact that I don't want to have a heart attack like BOTH of my parents. They both had bypass surgery 4 years ago and are doing great. They were my inspiration and we all motivate each other now.

3. I've given myself ample time to reach my goal.

I know you meant this post for those that only have 5 or 10 to lose I'm sure. But I still am trying to do this for my cruise! i just had a lot more to go than the average person.

Here's the thing...you go to all the trouble to lose weight...and on the cruise, you'll gain in back...in spades!

Either adopt a healthy eating regimen, or don't worry about it. This business of "losing for the cruise" is useless and silly.

You do it for YOURSELF...not to look good (or better) on a ship....and not for a week, but for a lifetime! That's what you're after...more time to live!!!!

I have never been successful in using a cruise or a vacation as a reward for losing weight. As cb said, you do it for yourself, not for a specific event.

I am only ever successful when I am dead serious about it and am willing to make sacrifices and hard choices every single day, and change the way I live every single day.

Don't diet for a cruise or you'll probably gain it all back. Diet because you need to lose weight and you want to make a lifelong commitment.

I started this mission around the end of September 2011. I have lost about 20 pound thus far. My goal was 30 to 40 pounds, so I've still got a ways to go, but I'm down about a size and feeling better about myself. I'm pretty consistent with my exercise regime but food is my 'down fall'. I'm definitely doing better then I was, because I'm more calorie conscience then I've been in a LONG time, but I think I'm going to have to be more dedicated to staying within my budget of 1256 calories EVERY DAY to lose the rest. <SIGH> :eek:

The cruise and the possibility of having some nice photos taken with the Mr. are part of my motivation, but I'm definitely in it for the long haul! :o

For those of you who want to lose weight before your cruise, I have a couple questions.

2. What motivates you?

Not sure how much weight loss you are talking about... 10 pounds versus 100 is a huge difference.

1. Your brain is the biggest obstacle. You have to really want to lose and be in that place or it will never work. This is why so many people start a diet and then give up just weeks into it. You have to be ready mentally before anything will stick and work long term.

2. Being healthy motivates me.

3. The cruise was not the reason to lose weight. I lost 100 pounds because I knew it was what was best for me. I did reward myself with a cruise when I hit my goal of 185 and could fit back into an old gown of mine that was in a size 14. Now I'm down to size 10/12 dresses.

Here's the thing...you go to all the trouble to lose weight...and on the cruise, you'll gain in back...in spades!

UNTRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost 2 (more) pounds on my Mariner cruise. Not everyone gains weight on a cruise. It's about choices.

OP, this thread will probably be moved like other weight loss threads are moved. Here is a link to a recent thread which discusses this; it was moved to another forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1601509

UNTRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost 2 (more) pounds on my Mariner cruise. Not everyone gains weight on a cruise. It's about choices.

That was cb's point. Lose weight just for the cruise, and you're likely to gain it back. Make lifestyle changes and choose wisely, the weight will stay off.

I don't diet to lose weight for a cruise but am struggling to lost the last 5-10 pounds. I also don't use a cruise as an excuse to eat everything that I normally would not eat at home. I no longer eat meat so the burgers for lunch are out; for breakfast I'll either have oatmeal and fruit or maybe an omlettte. I seldom order desert but if I feel like having something, my husband and I will share it. I do go to the gym every day on the cruise and workout on the treadmill every day at home so that's not a change. At home, I only drink wine, but my indulgence on a cruise is a martini every night before dinner. Watching what I eat has become more of a lifestyle thing but that doesn't mean that it isn't a struggle.

There is a whole "Lose before you cruise" board here on CC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149

I have to agree with others here. If you lose weight fpr an event, after the event the weight will creep right back on. I lost weight last year, not by dieting but because of a health issue and I certainly don't recommend that method ;). I'm wanting to lose more and I have changed my eating habits to do this. That and more exercise is the real secret to losing weight...no gimmicks. Vegetables and fruits at every meal, lean protein and cutting out fats, sugars and bread.

You can eat this way on a cruise as well, no need to worry the weight will come back. I eat dessert every night on a cruise and I don't gain extra weight. But I eat a normal meal (for me) at breakfast and lunch, I will indulge a little at dinner with some red meat a couple nights. The thing I miss most on cruises is fresh vegetables and salads. Yes, they have salad bar, but like most salad bars the lettuce is from a bag, not fresh. I'm a bit picky about fruits and vegetables, I want them really fresh and I'm willing to wash them all at home, just takes a minute or so, no biggie.

I agree with all of you, losing weight is not specific for cruising or any other reason but for my health. And the most healthiest way is by doing what Kathy stated with diet and exercise.

I also know for myself that I must watch my sodium intake, along with foods high in sugar. It is amazing to me that convenience foods that are 100 calories are so high in salt, or sugar. So I'm preparing more of my meals myself because I also cannot tolerate wheat and gluten.

It's a total mindset change and healthy lifestyle for me.

I am a yo yo. Definately up and down. Recently I have lost 30 pounds, of which 17 pounds were from emergency surgery. I have lost a couple of sizes and the number one thing is better health, however my suitcase does weigh less with those smaller clothes.

Judee

2. What motivates you?

I sometimes think that cruising is one of my best weight control methods because in between cruises I don't want to gain weight where I wouldn't be able to wear my awesome cruise clothes!

Pam

1. My biggest obstacle is my LOVE of eating carbs, fat, and grease :p

2. What motivates me? Fitting into my awesome cruise clothes and going "shopping" in my closet.....being able to fit into clothes I've had for years, but haven't been able to wear for years.

3. I usually start a couple months before the cruise. I start by trying on all my summer clothes to see how far I have to go to look decent.

This year, in January, I made the jump to buy a treadmill mainly for my health, but hoping a side benefit would be losing weight. It's amazing! I power-walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes, and I noticed results after about 3 weeks. It's going on 3 months, and today I bought my first size 10 jeans in about 10 years (been in a 12 for a long time). It feels great, and knowing I'm getting healthier and looking younger than my 40 years is very motivating.

Good luck to all who are trying to lose weight, for a cruise, or just in general. I love these threads, and I think it's great sharing on here.

• 1 month later...

Either adopt a healthy eating regimen, or don't worry about it. This business of "losing for the cruise" is useless and silly.

You do it for YOURSELF...not to look good (or better) on a ship....and not for a week, but for a lifetime! That's what you're after...more time to live!!!!

Not everyone goes through the trouble of losing just for a cruise. I want to lose a few lbs. before my cruise for one reason only. I am sure I will be eating more on the cruise than at home and in order for me to stay slim, I prefer to lose a few lbs before my cruise. This way I am back to square one when I return. Same thing with the holidays. You tend to eat more, so right before, I slow down a little to compensate in case I gain a couple. That is probably the reason I have maintained my weight for years. There are people who do not like to see the scale go up 2 or 3 lbs. and will take care of it before it gets worse and then there are others who do nothing.

Sorry cb but you are negative towards every post ! Personaly I am trying to lose it for my crusie! Hey I gained a bunch of weight last may due to high doses of steriods for my asthma. Hitting 45 didn't help either my metabolism has changed alot . So now I have 469 days ;) to lose the 20 pounds I want to lose! Ok I just want to do it but YES the cruise is my goal time to lose it all by. That is what made me take a good look in the mirror was booking the cruise. Saying you don't lose it for the week is insane! I always (even when I was skinny) would diet before a vacation just so that I could have that drink or extra dessert without the guilt. My biggest obstacle is that I HATE to exercise ! Being out of shape has made it even worse !!! UGgg !!!!!!!!!

Sorry cb but you are negative towards every post ! Personaly I am trying to lose it for my crusie! Hey I gained a bunch of weight last may due to high doses of steriods for my asthma. Hitting 45 didn't help either my metabolism has changed alot . So now I have 469 days ;) to lose the 20 pounds I want to lose! Ok I just want to do it but YES the cruise is my goal time to lose it all by. That is what made me take a good look in the mirror was booking the cruise. Saying you don't lose it for the week is insane! I always (even when I was skinny) would diet before a vacation just so that I could have that drink or extra dessert without the guilt. My biggest obstacle is that I HATE to exercise ! Being out of shape has made it even worse !!! UGgg !!!!!!!!!

Hi:).....if you are on here for any amount of time you will learn that

is always how she sounds:rolleyes:......I gave up on questioning her

responses years ago........:eek:

Hoping you lose whatever amount you are seeking:)

Archived