Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old July 8th, 2012, 09:24 AM
5,000+ Club

We enjoy walking on the top decks in the open air (though the jogging track on the S class ships is a joke) most of the time, but there are times when it is nice to be able to walk on the promenade deck due to wind, colder weather, rain, etc.

The covered promenades offer some protection from such things and are often less crowded. On many ships that have a wrap-around promenade, though, many people do there walking there and it can get a little crowded at popular times.

It's also nice to not have to keep going in tight circles to make up a mile too; 2.5 laps to a mile just seems easier than 8-11 laps!

Old July 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopsailor View Post
Are you responding to another thread? I don't get what point you are trying to make? I thought we were talking about promenade decks. Are you still as confused as you were on that other thread about the appeal of the lawn?

But since you brought it up, there are several places where a person can see both sides of the ship.
I did not bring it up.
This is Christine Frances who metioned the lawn.
Please read posts before you respond.

"Relaxing sitting places on the lawn from where you can have a great view to both sides of the ship" do not exist on S-class ships.
I believe you have not been on these ships.

The only lawn area open to both sides is often used as a playground.
It does not have "relaxing sitting places".

On the Silhouette the former open playground has been monetized into cabanas.

There are sitting places along the wall of the superstructure with a view to one side of the ship.

Old July 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetrail View Post
That's a sparkling new idea of cruise ship design.
The only useful areas are those which are "utilized".
The more utilized - the better.
Make them smaller and squeeze more people into them - even better utilized.
No space at all? Perfect ship!
I think budget cruise lines owe you a cruise.

Promenade deck on a cruise ship.
Im guessing 95% of those folks out there have inside cabins. Why would I sit out there all those folks if i have a balcony? Promenade decks were important on ships that didnt have or had limited balconies but nowadays with ships having 6, 7, 8 decks worth of balconies I dont think the promenade decks are as needed..... IMHO...

My Pictorial review of Labadee and Nellies Beach
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770883

My pictorial review of the Celebrity Eclipse:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1400893

Vision Hawaii 2000, Grandeur Mexican Riviera 2002, Legend 2003

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebr.cruiser View Post
We enjoy walking on the top decks in the open air (though the jogging track on the S class ships is a joke) most of the time, but there are times when it is nice to be able to walk on the promenade deck due to wind, colder weather, rain, etc.

The covered promenades offer some protection from such things and are often less crowded. On many ships that have a wrap-around promenade, though, many people do there walking there and it can get a little crowded at popular times.

It's also nice to not have to keep going in tight circles to make up a mile too; 2.5 laps to a mile just seems easier than 8-11 laps!
I agree 100%. The promenades are great for romantic late evening strolls. This was what we missed most during our first S-class cruise on the Solstice last month. Otherwise, it was nearly perfect.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetrail View Post
"Relaxing sitting places on the lawn from where you can have a great view to both sides of the ship" do not exist on S-class ships. I believe you have not been on these ships.

The only lawn area open to both sides is often used as a playground. It does not have "relaxing sitting places".

On the Silhouette the former open playground has been monetized into cabanas.

There are sitting places along the wall of the superstructure with a view to one side of the ship.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitshel View Post
Im guessing 95% of those folks out there have inside cabins. Why would I sit out there all those folks if i have a balcony? Promenade decks were important on ships that didnt have or had limited balconies but nowadays with ships having 6, 7, 8 decks worth of balconies I dont think the promenade decks are as needed..... IMHO...
Excellent point that I had not considered before. Makes perfect sense.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Whitshel - we book suites and I still love wraparound decks for taking walks around the ship. It is very different from walking around the small crowded jogging track on top deck with the sun beating down on me.

One thing I've learned recently is that the amount of a ship that is devoted to public spaces is more important than number of passengers in determining how crowded a ship feels. Our recent Disney cruise had 3,700 passengers, but never felt crowded because of all its public spaces. We never had trouble finding a table in the buffet, lounge chairs by the pool, lounge chairs on its private island, or a quiet place on the ship to chat with other passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bridge Maven; July 8th, 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
By your logic anyone sitting outside in a public area of the ship has an inside cabin. I always book a balcony or a suite, but still enjoy being around the ship including the Promenade Deck. Wouldn't want to be on my balcony the whole time.

The Promenade Deck certainly makes it easier to muster if you need to get in the lifeboats.

Phil

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by excitedofharpenden View Post
By your logic anyone sitting outside in a public area of the ship has an inside cabin. I always book a balcony or a suite, but still enjoy being around the ship including the Promenade Deck. Wouldn't want to be on my balcony the whole time.

The Promenade Deck certainly makes it easier to muster if you need to get in the lifeboats.

Phil
Hi Phil, OT for one moment.....watched Wimbledon....Andy
almost came through....I was cheering for him but Federer is just
too tough........

Back to regularly scheduled programming.............
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No, Celebrity ships do not have Promenade decks. They also do not have water slides, rock climbing walls, Movies Under the Stars, smoking in inside areas, cartoon people, and constant announcements. You choose who you sail with depending only on what is important to you. We can debate this all day but if to get a promenade deck it means I have to cruise with a line that allows smoking on the balcony's or inside the ship - I will happily pass.

Yet to come

Oct 27/14 X Equinox - Spanish Serenade WB TA
Aug 22/15 X Eclipse - 8nt Norway
Aug 30/15 X Eclipse - 14nt Mediterranean

217 days @ sea

TRAVEL IS THE ONLY THING YOU CAN BUY THAT MAKES YOU RICHER!

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Christine Francis - I agree that we have to prioritize what is important. Celebrity is probably the best value of any cruise line based on what you get for the price of a Celebrity cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I didn't have access to my pix when I posted above in this thread. Here's what I mean by feeling closed off from the ocean and claustrophobic on the S-class non-promenade deck (not a reason not to sail on these ships, but it is a negative to me):

By contrast, and just by way of example, this is the promenade deck on NCL's Jewel class ships:

(photos by turtles06)

Old October 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love wraparound promenade decks; even though we always book balconies, we spend a lot of time there. It's one reason I may cancel my Solstice booking to Alaska in May and go with Princess. I was excited when I heard the ship was coming to Seattle, without having looked at the deck plans.

For some itineraries it might not matter, but for Alaska, and all of the wildlife/glacier viewing, I think it does.

** We've done many cruises on multiple lines, with Hawai'i in between!!! **

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I once heard a comedian on a ship talk about how everyday he was taking the elevator up to the 14th floor to the gym to walk on the Stairmaster. Then one day it came to him that he should just take the stairs instead and he'd be done with his work out by the time he got there.

You can then enjoy the ocean view from a nice comfy chair somewhere or out the window at the Sky Lounge

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulann View Post
Cathy,
Love tread mills with the ocean view too.

I could care less about a promenade deck.

Walking up and down the stairs of all decks is also a work out.

Last edited by tserface; October 5th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think it's a trade off. It may be better to not have those boats more prominent from the promenade and less in the way of the view from balconies. I've never been on NCL, but I've been on lots of older RCCL ships and many of the balcony or porthole view rooms had nice views of the lifeboats.

I think these boats need to be somewhere. At least there's a little patch of vitamin D showing through. I'm not sure where they put them on NCL.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtles06 View Post
I didn't have access to my pix when I posted above in this thread. Here's what I mean by feeling closed off from the ocean and claustrophobic on the S-class non-promenade deck (not a reason not to sail on these ships, but it is a negative to me):

By contrast, and just by way of example, this is the promenade deck on NCL's Jewel class ships:

(photos by turtles06)

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM
20,000+ Club

I've often thought about the location of these lifeboats and their affect on the ability to see the sea. However from a safety aspect I think it is the perfect location to step from the deck into the tenders without having to wait for the hoists to lower them into place in case of need.

Old October 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Some of us wondered if the additional deck and rearranging on the Reflection would cause the walking area to be extended on this ship. Guess I will find out 1 week from today when I board and will report back! LOL

Man, the things I do for cruise critic.

Prior cruises:

Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - Western Caribbean - 12/7/2013 - Cabin 8151 (Wedding cruise!)
Summit - Celebrity - Canada/New England - 10/05/2013 - Cabin 8046

Reflection - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/12/2012 - Cabin 8279
Equinox - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/10/2011 - Cabin 8279
Nieuw Amsterdam - Holland America - Mediterranean - 10/6/2010 - Cabin 5051
Seabourn Spirit - Seabourn - Mediterranean - 10/10/2009 - Cabin 322

Holland America

Old October 5th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtles06 View Post

Yikes! I think I'll be spending a grand total of 0 minutes on that pseudo-promenade deck

Past Pleasures:
Amari, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Elation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Ecstasy, Celebrity Solstice, Costa Europa, Cunard Dynasty, Dawn Princess, Diamond Princess, Gemini, Oriana, Pacific Dawn, Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star, QE2, Royal Viking Sun, Sapphire Princess, Sea Dream II, Sea Goddess I, Sea Princess, Silver Wind, Sun Princess, Vision of the Seas, Vistafjord, Volendam

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default That sums it up quite accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebr.cruiser View Post
I much prefer the wrap-around Promenade found on many ships too, though we have walked back and forth on the Promenade before. You can also kind of make a round trip by going through the ship to the other side and back again, but it's awkward.

The walking/jogging path on these ships is very stupidly designed as it goes right through, and is part of, the only way to get from the front of the ship to the back areas, including the buffet. The hamburger place is there too.

So, besides lots of other walkers, there are also all kinds of people just meandering along, often the wrong way, heading to the lawn, the aft, the buffet, the pool, etc. Or stopped in groups, talking, oblivious to those who have to go around them.

To make it worse, the track goes right through deck chairs on both sides of it for much of the way. Chairs are often sticking right out into the path, which makes for traffic foul-ups and barked shins. I've even seen people fall over them. And it goes through the smoking area.

The only good thing is that it is fairly long, about 8 laps to a mile; I've been on ships where you had to go 15 laps for a mile!
It's basically impossible to "run" or even "jog" the track during high traffic times, its MUCH more akin to a military obstacle course.

But, as with other activities on a ship with 3000 passengers, just modify your schedule to take advantage of OFF PEAK times.

The change in conditions (balance, stress, exertion) from jogging DOWNWIND on one side of the ship to UPWIND on the other side, literally makes me laugh out loud as I am running. I can NOT do treadmills, just too boring for this hampster.