Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Counting down to my target retirement date July 20th 2020. A few days short of my 58th birthday. From then it is another life.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

I thought I was the only one counting down that far out. I hope to retire in June 2020 and I will be a few months shy of 60, I just don't want to work another summer working while my husband is off for the summer from teaching. He will retire in 2 more years after I do. So looking forward to longer trips with no worries of getting back to a job.

I thought I was the only one counting down that far out. I hope to retire in June 2020 and I will be a few months shy of 60, I just don't want to work another summer working while my husband is off for the summer from teaching. He will retire in 2 more years after I do. So looking forward to longer trips with no worries of getting back to a job.

We are right behind you. Our goal retirement is Oct 2020.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

After today, it is 24 days for me. In one sense, I am going to miss the company I worked for almost 19 years in March, but then out of around 300 people, there may be around 20 that started out with me years ago. Makes a big difference.

I have 87 days, 1 hour and 28 minutes until I retire! :) Originally I was going to retire in August of 2015 and I had to delay that until May of 2016. but my sister passed away in Feb of 2016(she was the main reason I was retiring in 2016) so extended it another year, every extra dollar helps! I am looking forward to this next chapter of life.

I live in Alaska, at the very top of the United States, in Barrow. I will be relocating to Anchorage to live but will only be there for 2 months before I leave the state for the next 5 months. I will be visiting friends and family for several months; then in September my BFF and I will be going to Ireland and the UK for 6 weeks! We are so excited for that adventure.

I have a week long cruise planned for October 2017 on Celebrity to the Caribbean. It will be my first solo trip as my sister was to go with me. I don't mind being alone, I just wish I didn't have to pay the price!

Darcey

After today, it is 24 days for me. In one sense, I am going to miss the company I worked for almost 19 years in March, but then out of around 300 people, there may be around 20 that started out with me years ago. Makes a big difference.

I remember your posts from a couple years ago when I was counting down. Its been 2yrs and 1 week since we retired, though I'm working a temporary job for a few months, nothing stressful for sure. Pick up some extra $$ for golf & travel :D

I have 87 days, 1 hour and 28 minutes until I retire! :) Originally I was going to retire in August of 2015 and I had to delay that until May of 2016. but my sister passed away in Feb of 2016(she was the main reason I was retiring in 2016) so extended it another year, every extra dollar helps! I am looking forward to this next chapter of life.

I live in Alaska, at the very top of the United States, in Barrow. I will be relocating to Anchorage to live but will only be there for 2 months before I leave the state for the next 5 months. I will be visiting friends and family for several months; then in September my BFF and I will be going to Ireland and the UK for 6 weeks! We are so excited for that adventure.

I have a week long cruise planned for October 2017 on Celebrity to the Caribbean. It will be my first solo trip as my sister was to go with me. I don't mind being alone, I just wish I didn't have to pay the price!

Darcey

It sounds like you have quite the itinerary planned for your first several months of retirement. Enjoy!

When you're home again and looking for cruise deals, check out the solo thread. You'll often find deals there you might not otherwise find on your own.

Less than 2 years to go. I think I first posted to this site when I had 4 years left...time has flown but not fast enough. :)

I did two cruises last year, NCL in February (Caribbean) and Princess in October (repositioning from New York to Caribbean). While I hadn't planned to book anything this year, a really good deal on the Princess Crown in September (Canada/New England) came up and I simply couldn't resist.

I guess the lesson learned is that I need to keep booking cruises. They give me something to plan for, look forward to, and I need to keep working to pay for them.

• 4 weeks later...

We meet with our financial advisor this week and find out his recommendations for retirement. At the present time I have 7 years 4 months and 4 days left. If I can sneak away sooner I would love it, but definitely have at least 5 years 4 months and 4 days left until Medicare takes over. DH begins his retirement plans in 3 years by turning some of his business over to our son. He hopes to be fully retired in 7 years as well. I hope our health holds so that we can take some of the trips we have thought about. 10-14 day Alaska Cruise tour the summer we retire, 14 night Panama Canal full transit, and for me, a British Isle cruise. We look forward to being able to cruise at will without restrictions of vacation days and farming season!

We meet with our financial advisor this week and find out his recommendations for retirement. At the present time I have 7 years 4 months and 4 days left. If I can sneak away sooner I would love it, but definitely have at least 5 years 4 months and 4 days left until Medicare takes over. DH begins his retirement plans in 3 years by turning some of his business over to our son. He hopes to be fully retired in 7 years as well. I hope our health holds so that we can take some of the trips we have thought about. 10-14 day Alaska Cruise tour the summer we retire, 14 night Panama Canal full transit, and for me, a British Isle cruise. We look forward to being able to cruise at will without restrictions of vacation days and farming season!

IMO, I guess health should be in the same ranking as financial when thinking about retirement as a requisite to enjoying a vacation.

Misty57

Good luck with your planning.

I agree that health is everything. I currently plan onretiring in just under 2 years’ time but have been planning for quite some time. Yes, its fair to say that the house could dowith some re-modeling but I choose to leave some of that until I retire and havemore time on our hands. It is our intentionto see as much of the world as we can whilst we can, hence why we are off toAustralia in 4 weeks’ time. We may never be able to go again so let’s do it nowas none of us are getting any younger. We did a Panama full transit in 2005 (SanDiego to San Juan) and enjoyed it very much and would love to do it again. Alaskais on our bucket list and after watching recent documentary it has whetted our appetite even more.

Good luck with your plans.

Ron.

10 DAYS!!!!!!!!! March 31, 2017. So excited. Living in St. Thomas, VI, and came on to look for last minute cruise deals out of San Juan. Empty nesting. Divorced. Looking for the best solo cruise deals. There are some awesome trips. Travel, travel, travel.