Victor Bodden - fun n sun questions

Newcruiser35

I know they have a private tour available but for $80 and seeing the same things - as we are not snorkel or many of the other add-on activities people $50 is more in our range of what we'd like to spend for this type of tour.

Can anyone tell me how many people typically are in one van for this tour?

One of the stops is Victors Monkey business: It says monkeys, parrots, island deer and other animals. what are the "other animals"????

What part of west bay beach do they drop you off at? Is there anything to do in the area while the others lay on the beach and go in the water?

Are the sight seeing stops on the route for photo ops busy tourist spots or just random places on a road that are cleared enough for people to stand and not get hit by other passing cars.

Having been there, done that, if there are just two of you , you are better off with the $80 deal..This way you have control of your whole day, no worries about timing with other people, and you can fit in a nice tour with what all else you want to do on your own time...If you tried both ways , you would opt for the $80 deal...

Last year, we partnered up with three other people on our roll call, so the cost was only $25 per person. We had talked about it on here leading up to the trip, so we had already decided what we wanted to do. There's not a lot to see at Victor's Monkey Business, but getting to interact with the monkeys was definitely worth the $5.00 per person entry fee. If you decide on a tour with Victor, make sure you have your guide take you somewhere for an authentic Belizian lunch. Francisco, our guide, did just that and it was a truly amazing experience with native Belizians! They are very friendly and welcoming! And your guide will take you wherever you want to go and stay as long as you want, yet be very careful to get you back to the port in plenty of time to board your ship! I highly recommend Victor Bodden's tours. As a matter of fact, we've already made a reservation with him for this November! Roatan is gorgeous and the people are simply wonderful!

Please explain how doing the exact same itinerary as the group tour (minus the beach time) then getting back on the ship is worth the extra $30 to do the tour in private?

We are not beach people and don't plan on sitting on a beach for 2hrs unless we have to. Also as we are not athletic people and not interested in ziplines or snorkeling which is pretty much all thats available to do at this stop.

How can anyone say that the private tour is worth the money for us??

Really the only reason we prefer to go with the tour company is the promise to get us back to the ship on time a taxi won't always be so helpful. Not to mention the fact the general taxis in ports aren't always kept well mechanically speaking.

Please explain how doing the exact same itinerary as the group tour (minus the beach time) then getting back on the ship is worth the extra $30 to do the tour in private?

We are not beach people and don't plan on sitting on a beach for 2hrs unless we have to. Also as we are not athletic people and not interested in ziplines or snorkeling which is pretty much all thats available to do at this stop.

Really the only reason we prefer to go with the tour company is the promise to get us back to the ship on time a taxi won't always be so helpful. Not to mention the fact the general taxis in ports aren't always kept well mechanically speaking.

I think to get acurate answers emailing Bodden is your best course of action. This way you get the skinny from the horses mouth. :) They may be able to sort an "tour" that fits both your interests and your bank account.

By the by ~ I think every one should have a look at West Bay Beach, no need to sit on the beach, plop yourself at Foster's and chat with whoever passes by, sit on the deck over the water at Bite on the Beach and watch the water. Hang a Sundowners in West End taking in the sites in West End. Pop up to Smugglers looking toward the mainland... or have a romp about the island. No need to me pushed into doing anything you don't want to do.

Hello. It sounds as if the Fun n Sun is the best option for the two of you, unless you can find two or more people in your roll call who would like to "share" a private tour, making it the same $25 (plus $5 extra for the monkeys if you choose to see them).

If you can find two or more people to join you (and yes, they will be strangers, but so will anybody you get hooked up with in the group tour), there are a lot of reasons to opt for the private tour

(1) You will be in a very small group (as few as 4 people). The group tour can be up to 35 people on a busy day.

(2) The tour is longer for the same price...you keep the guide for as long as you want.

(3) You can do EXACTLY what you want to do, rather than be held to the schedule of the group tour. So you can tour only the sites that YOU want to tour and stop at the photo opportunities that YOU want.

(4) You can spend as much time at each place as you want, rather than leaving when the group is ready to go.

If you can't find another couple to hook up with, it sounds like the Fun 'n' Sun is the better option for your needs. I agree that $80 is a lot of money if you don't have big plans for the island. However, I bet you'll have no problem finding somebody to do the private tour with you, even if you don't find them until after you get off the tender boat. Lots of people don't make plans ahead of time...

We used a driver last year. We are not beach people. Our driver took us all over the Island. We went to were the people live. We went to an orphange we stopped on the way and bought some food for the children. We went to a museum. Shopped for coffee. Cameo factory. and many other things. I think the $40.00 dollars each was well worth it. I could see more and do more than what the cruise line was offering. We also found out that they have so many kids in Roatan they have school in shifts. 8-12,1-4,4-8.

Hello. It sounds as if the Fun n Sun is the best option for the two of you, unless you can find two or more people in your roll call who would like to "share" a private tour, making it the same $25 (plus $5 extra for the monkeys if you choose to see them).

If you can find two or more people to join you (and yes, they will be strangers, but so will anybody you get hooked up with in the group tour), there are a lot of reasons to opt for the private tour

(1) You will be in a very small group (as few as 4 people). The group tour can be up to 35 people on a busy day.

(2) The tour is longer for the same price...you keep the guide for as long as you want.

(3) You can do EXACTLY what you want to do, rather than be held to the schedule of the group tour. So you can tour only the sites that YOU want to tour and stop at the photo opportunities that YOU want.

(4) You can spend as much time at each place as you want, rather than leaving when the group is ready to go.

If you can't find another couple to hook up with, it sounds like the Fun 'n' Sun is the better option for your needs. I agree that $80 is a lot of money if you don't have big plans for the island. However, I bet you'll have no problem finding somebody to do the private tour with you, even if you don't find them until after you get off the tender boat. Lots of people don't make plans ahead of time...

I have to agree with rockback on finding someone to share the tour with you. We made arrangements with a couple on our roll call, whom we had never met, and had the best time on the tour! We also made some lifelong friends that we still keep in touch with. I hope you get to do exactly what you want in beautiful Roatan!

• 1 month later...

I just did the fun n sun. it was $25pp. It was a tour of the island, a couple of stops to shop, the Monkey Business, and then the beach. I thought it was well worth the $25. My mom hates the beach and just hung out at a restaurant/bar right on the beach while the rest of us swam.

• 3 weeks later...
I think to get acurate answers emailing Bodden is your best course of action. This way you get the skinny from the horses mouth. :) They may be able to sort an "tour" that fits both your interests and your bank account.

By the by ~ I think every one should have a look at West Bay Beach, no need to sit on the beach, plop yourself at Foster's and chat with whoever passes by, sit on the deck over the water at Bite on the Beach and watch the water. Hang a Sundowners in West End taking in the sites in West End. Pop up to Smugglers looking toward the mainland... or have a romp about the island. No need to me pushed into doing anything you don't want to do.

My husband booked a tour with Bodden Tours for our anniversary a few years ago, It was a private tour and we even got Victor himself for our driver. Money is tight for us but i can tell you that a private tour is well worth the money. Victor was waiting for us when we got off the ship and even had some island flowers to carry with me the whole day long. He took us to his home, made drinks for us and we watched the dolphins on his back porch doing their tricks that folks on the dolphin tour had paid $100 for. We told him we wanted to do a little shopping and he stayed with us the whole time to be sure that we were not taken advantage of. We went to a great restaurant to eat, saw som ewonderful artichture (sp. wrong) feed the Iguanas (which was a blast) with food that Victor collected for me. He stopped when we wanted to stop and took us whereever we wanted to go. I think we circled the whole island and were back to the boat with time to spare. We are doing the fun n sun with his company this year and are looking forward to it.

The bottom line, if you have never been to the island then take the private tour. It will be well worth it and you will get a lot more out of it then with a larger group. Have fun!!!!

It sounds like you have made up your mind. If you don't see the value in having a private car and driverthen choose some kind of tour to see more of the island.

With the private tour you can check out all the tours Bodden offers and just choose things you would like to include on your personlized tour. Work out a schedule with Bodden when you book so they have the driver and time to do your wish list.

With this company, getting to the ship on time is not a problem. They are reliable. Tell them when you want to be back at the dock when you make up your itinerary.

I agree if you would go to your roll call, you might find another couple to share the private car and save some money. But you need to come to a concensus on your agenda with them so neither you or the other couple are unhappy.

Enjoy the island.

We are going to use Victor Bodden its the only way to do things privately! No need to wait for others in taking photos getting back into the car, etc. I won't take a tour any longer with others we hire our own private tour guide its the best way. You come and go and do what you want when you want and go back to the ship when your ready not mentioning not being told what time you have to be there to start the tour.

We not want to see monkeys, iguanas, butterflies, orphanage (that just get me depressed ), we not want to shop heck I do enough of that at home. We not ever going to trust or do zip lining hate heights and no watersports father in law can't swim and my honey hates the sand.

So any suggestions all?

We would consider sightseeing tour and perhaps finding a nice place on the water where there is shade and sit and have a cocktail and listen to some live music any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...
Last year, we partnered up with three other people on our roll call, so the cost was only $25 per person. We had talked about it on here leading up to the trip, so we had already decided what we wanted to do. There's not a lot to see at Victor's Monkey Business, but getting to interact with the monkeys was definitely worth the $5.00 per person entry fee. If you decide on a tour with Victor, make sure you have your guide take you somewhere for an authentic Belizian lunch. Francisco, our guide, did just that and it was a truly amazing experience with native Belizians! They are very friendly and welcoming! And your guide will take you wherever you want to go and stay as long as you want, yet be very careful to get you back to the port in plenty of time to board your ship! I highly recommend Victor Bodden's tours. As a matter of fact, we've already made a reservation with him for this November! Roatan is gorgeous and the people are simply wonderful!

hi

Thinking of booking fun-n-sun tour to west bay beach. how long is the taxi drive back to cruise ship.......wouldnt want to miss sailing :eek:

I have to agree with you that Roatan is gorgeous-I did a tour with Victor Bodden last November, and look forward to going back this December. I just wanted to point out that Roatan is one of the Bay Islands, which is part of Honduras, and NOT Belize..though you may very well have had an authenic Belizian lunch there;)...

Archived