Acropolis guide/tour

SNL4

I have been researching but coming up short on finding a guide in advance for an Acropolis tour for a few hours. I have read guides are available at the entrance, but was wondering if anyone has used or knew of a guide that could be booked in advance? We want to DIY Athens rather than take an excursion, but would love to have a guide for the Acropolis if possible.

All of the semi-private or group tours seem to waste a good portion of our day in Athens (i.e. we arrive at 6am, and most tours don't begin until 8:30 or later from the port, and end by 2:30 when we're in port until 5), so I would like to try and see as much as I can, but still have a guide. Most guides/private tours seem to just be a vehicle, and a guide at the sites is extra (and a lot more $$). If anyone knows of a company or individual who does a few hours guided in Athens (Acropolis + maybe some nearby stuff), that would be very helpful. Thanks!

It's quite easy to get into Athens on your own by various means ranging from express bus and HOHO bus options to a taxi ride of about 20-25 euro. In my mind, not worth paying a lot for private transportation.

Athens Walks offers small group tours and individual tours with a guide, including a 4-hour tour mainly of the Acropolis. You might see if they work for you: http://www.athens-walks.com/#!

A group I can highly recommend provides detailed small-group walking tours as well. I have used them in Rome and another location but not in Athens: https://www.contexttravel.com/cities/athens

• 1 month later...
Most guides/private tours seem to just be a vehicle, and a guide at the sites is extra (and a lot more $$). If anyone knows of a company or individual who does a few hours guided in Athens (Acropolis + maybe some nearby stuff), that would be very helpful. Thanks!

We had a fantastic, completely customized day arranged through Hellenic Private Tours:

https://hellenicprivatetours.com/

Our tour included a driver and a private guide (who also happened to be an archeologist). We were picked up at 7:30 AM at our request. The guide service was invaluable, not only at the Acropolis, but at other sites including the changing of the guard, other temples (sorry - the name escapes me), and she accompanied us through the Acropolis Museum (which enabled us to have a deeper understanding of the exhibits).

We are ususally avid DIYers, but for this port we felt the services of a guided tour and a private driver enabled us to do so much more than we would have on our own.

Frank will customize your time to whatever fits your needs. His communication is excellent and we were very happy with his exceptional service.