DIY vs. taxi tour: Corfu and Kotor

amymw

Departing in two days and think I have confused myself!

I originally intended to do private taxi tour in Kotor and a DIY in Corfu, but now wondering if I should flip-flop that. Any guidance?

I think this is right - tour in Kotor, and DIY Corfu. On Corfu, there is a public all-day bus pass for 5 euros. You can take Bu No. 2A from San Rocco Square to Kanoni (for Mouse Island). The old town in Corfu is easily walkable. You only need a tour if you plan on going to Acheillon Palace.

For Kotor, I'm not aware of a public transportation option to Perast/Budva/Stari Sefan, so a taxi tour works best here.

I am researching the same two ports (and more) for our upcoming cruise. In Kotor there is a Hop On Hop Off bus tour that runs from Old Town, to Perast, Risan and Bajova Kula. If you were to take the bus and not get off, the full loop is an hour. It also includes a 45 minute walking tour of Old Town that leaves at noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. It costs 20 euros per person.

In Corfu, there is supposed to be a ship shuttle that will run you to Old Town (it's about a 25 minute walk to Old Town from the ship). We are taking the shuttle and DIY Old Town.

Unless you are heading out of Kotor a taxi tour would be useless as most of Kotor Old Town is pedestrian only. When you arrive there you will see just how narrow many of the streets are, some only as wide as an alleyway.

For Perast from Kotor we took the public bus from outside the shopping centre (a little left and forward of the dock) Just ask someone. Pay the driver onboard. Once there you can go across to the island quite easily as there were many small boats.

If you only want Corfu Town no tour needed. We did a taxi tour of some of the island on our second visit.

Kotor is best toured on food (you cannot efficiently use a taxi inside the walls). If you want to venture out to a nearby town or to see some of the countryside you might want to hire a taxi....or use the local buses. Corfu, on the other hand, is a medium sized island. We have rented cars and driven all over Corfu and actually prefer driving the island to spending time in Corfu Town. Personally we prefer having our own rental car as it will cost us about $70 for the entire day. But if one does not want to drive you could certainly hire a taxi for a few hours to tour parts of the island....and then have your driver drop you in Corfu Town. From town you can make your way back to the port by walking (if you like long walks) or you could grab a taxi for the short ride.

Hank

I can't speak to Kotor since I've never been. However for Corfu I'd say it depends on what you want to do. If all you want to do is go to Old Corfu Town and wander around the area which could be a pleasant day all by itself then I think DIY and just grab a bus. However, if you want to see more of Corfu (which we did) then either renting a car or hiring a taxi for the day (which we did) is the way to go. Here's what we did on our day:

- Drove out of the port and headed North to the highest point on the islands to get views North and East and to look at some of the olive groves and small villages that dot the island.

- Drove westward and stopped for a snack and views of Paleokastritsa from high above. Afterwards drove down and visited the Monestary

- Crossed the island in a SE direction and headed to the Achilleion Palace and spent an hour or so there.

- Finally drove up the coast back to Old Corfu City with a stop on the way to look at Mouse Island.

- Dropped us off at the park near the Fortress. We walked around the Old City for an hour and then caught the ship shuttle back to the port.

A very pleasant day with our driver keeping up a dialogue and making suggestions as we went along to various points he thought we might be interested in seeing. The island is probably the most beautiful by scenery of the Greek isles I've been to (Cephalonia, Mykonos, Patmos, Milos, Rhodes, Lesvos)

I don't think you can go wrong in Corfu. The whole island just felt easy and relaxed when we were there

I can't speak to Kotor since I've never been. However for Corfu I'd say it depends on what you want to do. If all you want to do is go to Old Corfu Town and wander around the area which could be a pleasant day all by itself then I think DIY and just grab a bus. However, if you want to see more of Corfu (which we did) then either renting a car or hiring a taxi for the day (which we did) is the way to go. Here's what we did on our day:

- Drove out of the port and headed North to the highest point on the islands to get views North and East and to look at some of the olive groves and small villages that dot the island.

- Drove westward and stopped for a snack and views of Paleokastritsa from high above. Afterwards drove down and visited the Monestary

- Crossed the island in a SE direction and headed to the Achilleion Palace and spent an hour or so there.

- Finally drove up the coast back to Old Corfu City with a stop on the way to look at Mouse Island.

- Dropped us off at the park near the Fortress. We walked around the Old City for an hour and then caught the ship shuttle back to the port.

A very pleasant day with our driver keeping up a dialogue and making suggestions as we went along to various points he thought we might be interested in seeing. The island is probably the most beautiful by scenery of the Greek isles I've been to (Cephalonia, Mykonos, Patmos, Milos, Rhodes, Lesvos)

I don't think you can go wrong in Corfu. The whole island just felt easy and relaxed when we were there

How much did the driver for the day cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums