United/Fairbanks Alaska

debnjoe1438

Anyone know if United will be discontinuing flights to Fairbanks Alaska? There is nothing scheduled after the middle of August this year. A rep at United said she thought she saw an e-mail stating the market was being discontinued, however she couldn't find any information. So her thoughts either it's being discontinued or the flights weren't loaded.

Thanks

Fairbanks is seasonal service for UA. Like most other legacy airlines (AA, DL, etc) UA loads schedules almost a year in advance.

Thanks for the info. Nothing loaded yet. Nothing past middle of August this year.

Thanks for the info. Nothing loaded yet. Nothing past middle of August this year.

As I commented the service is seasonal. Nothing shows up after mid-August because there's nothing to load...UA will be done for this summer. Looking at the past 3 summers, the service is early June thru the latter half of August and they announce and release schedules in February.

This is a growing pattern with UA routes to leisure, seasonal destinations. UA sets their primary schedule, then they look at "secondary", less important routes. If there's enough demand to send an aircraft on an "out-and-back" from a hub rather than being parked overnight they will start a seasonal "fill-in" flight. So, monitor UA press releases and the Fairbanks local media to see if and when summer 2015 flights will operate.

One question is why not fly Alaska Airlines? They have very frequent flights to FAI, convenient times, competitive fares, and you can book now. If you want to earn or redeem Mileage Plus miles, I believe AS still has an agreement with UA that allows this.

Also note that UA, AA, and DL flights tend to be redeyes that depart FAI between 6pm-2am, since they are an "out and back" from hubs in the Lower 48.

Hope this helps!

As I commented the service is seasonal. Nothing shows up after mid-August because there's nothing to load...UA will be done for this summer. Looking at the past 3 summers, the service is early June thru the latter half of August and they announce and release schedules in February.

This is a growing pattern with UA routes to leisure, seasonal destinations. UA sets their primary schedule, then they look at "secondary", less important routes. If there's enough demand to send an aircraft on an "out-and-back" from a hub rather than being parked overnight they will start a seasonal "fill-in" flight. So, monitor UA press releases and the Fairbanks local media to see if and when summer 2015 flights will operate.

One question is why not fly Alaska Airlines? They have very frequent flights to FAI, convenient times, competitive fares, and you can book now. If you want to earn or redeem Mileage Plus miles, I believe AS still has an agreement with UA that allows this.

Also note that UA, AA, and DL flights tend to be redeyes that depart FAI between 6pm-2am, since they are an "out and back" from hubs in the Lower 48.

Hope this helps!

Yes that helps, however I'm thinking I'm going with the cruise tour which ends in Anchorage. United has schedules for Anchorage, at the moment thru end of June 2015.

As to why not Alaska Airlines, we have mileage points with UA. (Originally started with Continental) These will expire if don't use them. Plus we can save the price of two tickets from Florida. I was told by a UA rep that Alaska airlines is not a partner with them. :(

Edited by debnjoe1438

I'm seeing a daily nonstop from O'Hare to Fairbanks beginning June 4, 2015.

Chicago (ORD) to Fairbanks (FAI) - Thu, Jun 4

UA.png United Airlines, Inc. 1209 Dep: 4:00PM Arr: 7:30PM 6h 30m Boeing 737 Economy (Q)

Fairbanks (FAI) to Chicago (ORD) - Thu, Jun 4

UA.png United Airlines, Inc. 1209 Dep: 8:15PM Arr: 5:17AM 6h 2m Boeing 737 Economy (Q)