Whats the strangest layover you had going to a cruise?

aerospace

How about to get to Novosibirsk in Russia from Hong Kong fly over it and five hours further to Moscow then five hours back

Flying is fun

Not

Hence why I cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These days you can easily get from HKG to Novosibirsk with one relatively easy/straight forward plane change in Beijing which doesn't take you too much out of your way.

And you can't compare flights and cruises...a flight gets you to your vacation, while the cruise is your vacation. Obviously the vacation itself is usually going to be more fun than the mode of transportation you took to your vacation.

(That being said, one of the best parts of my vacation in Thailand last summer was flying Cathay Pacific First to Bangkok, so...that's why I say usually ;))

You do know you are flying in the opposite direction, and fly back over Amsterdam, don't you?

Amsterdam-Zurich = 1,5 hours, minimum connecting time in Zurich about one hour, Zurich-London=1,5 hours.

Flying time Amsterdam-London= 40 minutes.

Yes, I am familiar with European geography, but this is so far from the craziest routings I have seen that I wouldn't give this a second glance.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

These days you can easily get from HKG to Novosibirsk with one relatively easy/straight forward plane change in Beijing which doesn't take you too much out of your way.

And you can't compare flights and cruises...a flight gets you to your vacation, while the cruise is your vacation. Obviously the vacation itself is usually going to be more fun than the mode of transportation you took to your vacation.

(That being said, one of the best parts of my vacation in Thailand last summer was flying Cathay Pacific First to Bangkok, so...that's why I say usually ;))

If you stay in one place that's good but a lot of holidays see lots of places requiring lots if relocating to get to each one

Cruising takes care of that and joins the while adventure into one enjoyable time

I have cruised to get from a to b rather than fly just takes longer and is a means of transport not just a holiday

Your flights layovers etc etc are still part if your holiday

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise I'm looking at ends in Amsterdam and the RCL one I want to take next leaves the same day from Hamburg so I'm searching for flights. Can it be done etc...some flights take 1 hour 5mins so it seems possible.

The cheapest one though goes Amsterdam-Istanbul-Hamburg. According to google I would be going 2589miles vs direct flight is 235. :eek:

If your unfamiliar it would be like going Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando but through New York.

Few people would consider flying this route in Europe. The rail system is more effective for a trip this distance.

<random date in late July>

D 09:01 Amsterdam Centraal IC - 143

A 12:06 Osnabrück Hbf

-Transfer-

D 12:23 Osnabrück Hbf ICE - 1028

A 14:12 Hamburg Hbf

German translation: Hbf (Haute Bahn Hof) = main/central train station

Few people would consider flying this route in Europe. The rail system is more effective for a trip this distance.

<random date in late July>

D 09:01Amsterdam CentraalIC - 143

A 12:06Osnabrück Hbf

-Transfer-

D 12:23Osnabrück HbfICE - 1028

A 14:12Hamburg Hbf

German translation: Hbf (Haute Bahn Hof) = main/central train station

I agree that the train system in western Europe cant be beat. Super easy and efficient.

Oh, and Hbf is Hauptbahnhof, all one word. Sorry, the German in me can't help it :D

I agree that the train system in western Europe cant be beat. Super easy and efficient.

Oh, and Hbf is Hauptbahnhof, all one word. Sorry, the German in me can't help it :D

Yeah, I was breaking it up to explain which is why I typed it that way. I also typed in Heute instead of Haupt in the explanation; obviously I'm really screwed up TODAY.

I was just trying to get the point across that Hbf means the main station (literally Top Train House).

Sadly, my German is 30+ years out of practise.

Yeah, I was breaking it up to explain which is why I typed it that way. I also typed in Heute instead of Haupt in the explanation; obviously I'm really screwed up TODAY.

I was just trying to get the point across that Hbf means the main station (literally Top Train House).

Sadly, my German is 30+ years out of practise.

A lesson on German words, lol

http://theweek.com/article/index/253837/heres-how-crazy-long-german-words-are-made

Oddest route I've seen is LAX-SAN via PDX.

Never heard of cabotage. I just wonder, if we were able to do this, would have been legal.

I flew as a non-rev for several years (my daughter worked for the airlines). Once, my daughter and I were supposed to fly from LAX to Cincinnati on a red-eye. A huge last minute walk-up crowd put a dent to it :mad: Gate agent suggested LAX to Guadalajara to CVG. Unfortunately, we couldn't take advantage of it since we didn't have our passports. We made it home the following day. However, airport floors aren't meant for sleeping.

As for our strangest layover...San Juan to Chicago to Cincinnati. This was after our Southern Caribbean cruise on Princess about 20 years ago. We booked through Princess, and apparently the San Juan to ORD flight was full of cruisers. The free booze on the flight more than made up for the unusual layover.

Edited by LadyBeBop

My strangest routing was on AA, back when they flew the 777 from Miami to Los Angeles. Our routing was Tampa to Miami, then Miami to Tampa, to DFW, to Tucson. Yep started in Tampa and routed back through Tampa.