Portland to Weymouth

eandj

Am I correct in assuming we will be shuttled out of the dock in Portland to Weymouth? HAL cruise. Is it HAL's service or provided by Portland?

I'm finding tour companies but wonder if anyone just used a cab in Weymouth to tour the Coast area. Just looking to do a scenic drive for a bit of our day. Still researching the area. We don't want to spend hours just to get ..somewhere.

The shuttle is provided by the port

We used Extra mile tours & he came to the ship to pick us up

I think there were taxis as well but not sure if they were pre booked

If you search this forum for Portland you come up with some other info

enjoy

Lyn

Yes, there will be taxis at the port.

But these are metered taxis, which have high meter rates. That's fine for a local A to B trip within about 10 miles or a 20-minute tour around Portland Bill, but could be very expensive to hire all day or even for 2 - 3 hours.

You'd do better to pre-book at an agreed rate.

Suggestions on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058366

Plenty of places within a 25 mile / 45 minute radius

- west to Lyme Regis (via Abbotsbury & West Bay has some scenic coastal stretches).

- or north to Sherborne via the Rude Man of Cerne Abbas & perhaps from Sherborne across to Gold Hill, Shaftesbury before returning via Dorset Downs & villages.

- or east to Durdle Door & Lulworth Cove. And extend from there either to the exceptional tank museum at Bovington or to Corfe Castle - ideally along the little lane over the Kimmeridge Ledges, though that route runs past a tank firing range and is closed when the range is in use.

Google those places, see what you think.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, you seem to be the one with answers:)

We are interested in renting a car from National Car Rental in Weymouth (I believe they're located at or near the Weymouth airport). Do you happen to know if National has a shuttle from port shuttle stop at Brewery Quai to their location?

I would also appreciate your input on our plan for the day - if we're able to do it all in the time allotted.

We plan to pick up the car at 8:00 am and using the Back Roads of Britain map

explore Sand World (Weymouth), Corfu Castle, Jurassic Coastal Walk (Durdle Door/Lulwoth Cove), Hambury Tout and, if time permits, go on to Swansea.

We have to be back on board by 4:00pm

Thank you so much for your help.

Patti

John Bull,

I have a Portland/Weymouth question for you as well. My ship will dock in Portland on August 1. We have rented a car, which turns out to be located (as you mentioned in an earlier thread) abut 2.4 miles from Weymouth, at the Granby Filling Station, Cumberland Drive Granby Ind Estate.

Should we take the free shuttle to Brewer's Quay in Weymouth and hire a taxi there to take us to the car rental depot, or would it be more advisable to hire the taxi at the ship and go directly to the car depot? As we are already spending on the rental car, I don't want to waste too much money getting to and from the car rental location.

We are a little less ambitious than the prior poster. We merely want to drive to Abbotsbury to see the Swannery and subtropical gardens, and then perhaps, drive the other direction to see the Lulworth Cove area before returning the car.

Thank you

I would also appreciate your input on our plan for the day - if we're able to do it all in the time allotted.

We plan to pick up the car at 8:00 am and using the Back Roads of Britain map

explore Sand World (Weymouth), Corfu Castle, Jurassic Coastal Walk (Durdle Door/Lulwoth Cove), Hambury Tout and, if time permits, go on to Swansea.

We have to be back on board by 4:00pm

Thank you so much for your help.

Patti

The drive to Swansea from Weymouth is around 3 hours and then you've got the same coming back, so there is no chance of getting there.

Also, bear in mind that Corfe Castle and Hambury Tout you will be travelling east from Weymouth, whereas Swansea is travelling north west from Weymouth.

The opening times for Sandworld is 10.30am-5.00pm every day.

I think you need a proper map, Patti.

Swansea is about 160 miles away, and Corfu about 1500 miles :p

So I'll take you want to consider Swanage. And Corfe Castle.;)

There's no airport at Weymouth, the National depot is on an industrial estate (business park) about 5 miles from your berth on Portland or 2.5 miles from the usual cruise shuttle drop point.

I doubt National would shuttle you but you can only ask.

If not, you can get a taxi from the port - but allow time on your return for a taxi to be called to take you back to the ship.

Sand World is a place I've not been, I think it's fairly new - but sand sculpture events have been a common feature on the seafront for decades.

The walk from Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door is 25 to 30 minutes, but because you have a car you'll have to walk back too.

Parking at Durdle Door is through a holiday caravan park, I'm none-too-sure whetherthere's parking for non-residents. Best play safe & park at the Lulworth Cove end (payable).

The entrance to Corfe Castle is just off the village square. There's a parking lot on the main road below the castle, it's a 5 minute up-hill walk from there to the village square. Best bet is to drive into the village square, if one of the few parking bays is empty take advantage - it's handy & free. If no luck, turn left at the other end of the square & drive to the village car-park. A 5 min walk back, but it's level.

Swanage is only about 5 miles beyond Corfe Castle, but in all honesty it's a bit of a disappointment. It's a small & faded "bucket & spade" seaside town, which has been in decline as a resort since the branch railway line was closed decades ago. Now it's more of a base for touring. The drive there & back will take less than half-an-hour of your time, but if you don't get there you'll not have missed much.

(BTW the part of that branch line that's between Corfe Castle & Swanage is now run by volunteers as a heritage steam railway- take a walk across the road to the little station in Corfe Castle, but your time is too precious to take a ride.)

I think you need a proper map, Patti.

Swansea is about 160 miles away, and Corfu about 1500 miles

So I'll take you want to consider Swanage. And Corfe Castle.

Ah, Swanage. That sounds more like it! And I hadn't even noticed "Corfu". :D

John Bull,

I have a Portland/Weymouth question for you as well. My ship will dock in Portland on August 1. We have rented a car, which turns out to be located (as you mentioned in an earlier thread) abut 2.4 miles from Weymouth, at the Granby Filling Station, Cumberland Drive Granby Ind Estate.

Should we take the free shuttle to Brewer's Quay in Weymouth and hire a taxi there to take us to the car rental depot, or would it be more advisable to hire the taxi at the ship and go directly to the car depot? As we are already spending on the rental car, I don't want to waste too much money getting to and from the car rental location.

We are a little less ambitious than the prior poster. We merely want to drive to Abbotsbury to see the Swannery and subtropical gardens, and then perhaps, drive the other direction to see the Lulworth Cove area before returning the car.

Thank you

It's a shame you & Patti aren't on the same cruise, the National & Europcar depots are only a few hundred yards apart & you could've shared a taxi.:rolleyes:

But well worth both of you posting for taxi-sharers on your respective RollCalls in case others are doing the same thing.

Brewers Quay is a little closer, but the difference in the cost of a taxi from the port (about £11 vs about £7) will be minor compared to the complication & time used taking the shuttle. And I don't think there's a taxi rank particularly close to Brewers Quay/Hope Square.

The rental depots are on the Abbotsbury side of town, just off the B3157 which leads to Abbotsbury.

For Abbotsbury Swannery turn left in Abbotsbury village where the main road turns sharp right - watch for trucks & coaches, it's a very tight turn & they take the whole road.

The Sub-tropical Gardens are about half-a-mile beyond the village on the main road. I think you can get combined tickets for a discount.

Worth continuing a further 8 miles along the Jurassic coast (one or two sweeping views of the coast) as far as West Bay & Bridport.

Bridport has a very broad main street - in Nelson's time Bridport was the Navy's centre of rope-making & the ropes were twisted along the main street.

Then return to Dorchester along the faster & wider main A36 with elevated views of the Dorset Downs & the sea beyond.

(Dorchester is only about 15 mins from the rental depot if you've truly messed-up on timing)

At Dorchester take by-pass (signed A35 Ringwood/Poole. Straight on (still A35) at the next roundabout (Weymouth signed to the right), the Lulworth road (signed A352 Wareham) is the next turn to the right.

About 8 miles along the A352, Lulworth Cove is signed to your right, alongside the Red Lion pub. Durdle Door isn't signed, but is the same road & it's about 3 miles. As my other post, I'm none-too-sure about vehicle access / parking - but in your case drive down through the caravan park & see if you get chased-off. ;)

Then continue same way a mile or two to Lulworth.

You are now about 16 miles / 35 minutes from the rental depot.

As my post to patti, there's no taxi rank on the industrial estate, allow time for one to be called for you. The taxi ride back to the ship will take about 10 mins. If you have time in hand, perhaps get the driver to drive past the port & up Portland Bill for elevated views of Chesil Bank, The Flete, and Weymouth Bay - will add about 2 miles / 5 minutes, £3-£4.

I've made no allowance for delays in the timings, any traffic delay is likely to be around Weymouth.

Edited by John Bull

John

Thanks so much for quick response - you are a God-sent!

I will be posting to see if anyone is interested in sharing a taxi to National.

And you're right, when I took a closer look at the 'Back Roads of Great Britain' map we are using, what we want to do is leave Weymouth via the A353, then take the A352 to Lulworth Cove. We would like to walk back to Durdle Door (weather and time permitting - we enjoy a good hike), then take B3070 back up to A352 and on to Corfe Castle. As you don't highly recommend Swanage, we'll skip it and head back the same way to Weymouth. Is this plan doable if we're on the road by 8:30am and back by 3:00pm

Patti

We are arriving on Brilliance of the Sea (RCCL) at Portland, Dorset at 7:00am on Tuesday September 2. Would anyone like to share a taxi to the Weymouth National Car Rental location? We would like to leave around 7:30am.

John Bull,

Thank you for your very detailed and helpful information. My next question: As there are 4 of us, and it sounds like we should get the taxi at the port in Portland and go directly to Alamo car rental (in my case), and then on to Abbotsbury, will most taxis be large enough to accommodate the 4 of us?

Thanks again.

John

And you're right, when I took a closer look at the 'Back Roads of Great Britain' map we are using, what we want to do is leave Weymouth via the A353, then take the A352 to Lulworth Cove. We would like to walk back to Durdle Door (weather and time permitting - we enjoy a good hike), then take B3070 back up to A352 and on to Corfe Castle. As you don't highly recommend Swanage, we'll skip it and head back the same way to Weymouth. Is this plan doable if we're on the road by 8:30am and back by 3:00pm

Patti

It is doable but it does highlight the problem of packing so much into a small time. Weymouth itself has a certain charm, and there is Dorchester a short journey away with its Hardy connections and Maiden Castle.

I know it's different for me as I live in the country so I can go back, but I wouldn't go rushing here and there.

Thanks again John. We chose the route we did as we're not used to driving on the opposite side of the road and were looking for an interesting route that was relatively city and traffic free - it took us forever to get out of Bath last year:eek:

Would you recommend Maiden Castle over Corfe Castle?

John

Patti

Yes.

And 3pm is the time I too reckon best to be back at the rental depot.

Excluding Swanage, your total driving is 56 miles, about 1hr 40.

If you are indeed on the road by 8.30 that's as crowded as the roads will be, as Weymouth's commuters go to work. Unless it's a Saturday or Sunday the rest of the day's roads should be very quiet.

Can I suggest you head to Corfe Castle first, then to Lulworth Cove.

As in a previous post, Lulworth Cove is 35 minutes from the rental depot, you can decide your priorities here - walk across to Durdle Door or not?

As that previous post, if you don't walk across consider driving through the Durdle Door caravan park, see how you get on.

Sand World, which I see you've now deleted, is also what I'd put bottom of the list.

But it's on the sea-front as you head into Weymouth, at Lodmoor Country Park. That route is much more interesting than the boring road around the back of the town earlier in the day.

4 miles after you've turned onto the A353, instead of turning right at the next roundabout to continue on the A353, carry on forward on the B3155, signed Lodmoor. In half a mile you'll join the seafront. The entrance to Sand World is near Sea World (I guess that figures ;)). By now your GPS will be following my route, continuing along the seafront & turning inland at the clock tower. Google has that route at ten minutes to the rental depot rather than nine by you proposed route.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Albany+Rd&daddr=Corfe+Castle,+The+Square,+Wareham,+United+Kingdom+to:Lulworth+Cove+to:Seaworld+Weymouth+to:Albany+Rd&hl=en&ll=50.615925,-2.228851&spn=0.330251,0.847321&sll=50.614413,-2.48158&sspn=0.010321,0.026479&geocode=FW1SBAMdlwva_w%3BFQG1BAMd1JXg_yHTPi5z71VkpikJM1SrNQZzSDHTPi5z71Vkpg%3BFWRfBAMdlrbd_ylxPjcQzf9ySDHwrMRJEV-L_w%3BFZA_BAMd2qva_yHX2Zr36MQh1ilfUsIudfdySDHX2Zr36MQh1g%3BFeJQBAMd9gDa_w&oq=Albany+Road+&mra=dme&mrsp=4&sz=16&t=m&z=11

(hate "new" googlemaps. I'm still on classic, but it posts in the new format)

National, Europcar & Alamo are all together on that Granby Industrial Estate. so share with folk booked with any of them.

Thanks again John. We chose the route we did as we're not used to driving on the opposite side of the road and were looking for an interesting route that was relatively city and traffic free - it took us forever to get out of Bath last year:eek:

Would you recommend Maiden Castle over Corfe Castle?

There's no comparison between Corfe Castle & Maiden Castle.

Bring up "Maiden Castle, Dorset" and "Corfe Castle" on google images

Maiden "castle" is only an earthworks - originally it would have been topped by wooden palisades.

Corfe Castle, although ruined, is one of the earliest stone castles. A "real" castle.

No big cities, no heavy traffic, This is sheep country. You'll be fine. :)

But I do agree with the Surry lad that for those who don't want to venture far or spend money, Weymouth is a delightful Victorian seaside town in which to spend a day. Pleasant seafront promenade. bustling little streets behind the seafront & through to the harbour, shops, pubs, little museums, fish&chips, lots of little attractions. :)

Edited by John Bull

one fly in the ointment

I do not think the are taxis allowed into the port area unless pre-booked & cleared by security prior

Someone may want to confirm if taxis are allowed into the area

We had a private tour & the driver did not preregister with the port authorities so he had to do when he arrived at the gate to come to the ship

So I would pre arrange a taxi or just take the shuttle into Weymouth then get a taxi

There's no comparison between Corfe Castle & Maiden Castle.

Bring up "Maiden Castle, Dorset" and "Corfe Castle" on google images

Maiden "castle" is only an earthworks - originally it would have been topped by wooden palisades.

Corfe Castle, although ruined, is one of the earliest stone castles. A "real" castle.

No big cities, no heavy traffic, This is sheep country. You'll be fine. :)

But I do agree with the Surry lad that for those who don't want to venture far or spend money, Weymouth is a delightful Victorian seaside town in which to spend a day. Pleasant seafront promenade. bustling little streets behind the seafront & through to the harbour, shops, pubs, little museums, fish&chips, lots of little attractions. :)

Only an earth work? I guess we differ a lot. Corfe well worth a visit esp if combined with a trip on the railway, but Maiden Castle gives a completely different view on a different part of history. And if you are a Hardy fan, which I'm not, it will appeal.

Oh and thanks for the compliment of lad :)

John Bull,

I contacted Weyline taxi service online and they will have a driver and taxi meeting us at the ship to take the four of us directly to the car rental depot for a cost of 12 GBP. They have also said that they can have a taxi at the depot for our return trip with a 10 minute notice. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. BTW, we have already purchased our passes to the Abbotsbury Swannery and subtropical gardens. Even with the taxi fare to and from, and the car rental, and entry tickets, the total cost will be far below the cost of the cruise line's shore excursions, and we have the freedom to go when and where we please. Also, our ship does not sail until 7 PM so we have plenty of room for a margin of error if my left side driving and traffic prove to be a problem.

Thanks again for your very helpful assistance. We very much look forward to touring your part of the world.

Thanks again, John, for your invaluable advice and your encouragement. We have decided to take your suggestion and head right to Corfe Castle, then do Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door on the way back. Hopefully, we have a little time, before returning the car, to explore Weymouth, too.

I have posted online for a taxi share and will give people a chance to respond before booking the taxi for that morning, as 'digtexas' suggested.

Thanks again, John, for your invaluable advice and your encouragement. We have decided to take your suggestion and head right to Corfe Castle, then do Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door on the way back. Hopefully, we have a little time, before returning the car, to explore Weymouth, too.

I have posted online for a taxi share and will give people a chance to respond before booking the taxi for that morning, as 'digtexas' suggested.

If you have to be back on board by 7.00 pm there should be no great rush getting to Corfe and back.

Hi, I'm new to cruise critic, just registered as hoping to cruise in October.

Just seen this post when searching for threads about Brugge and just wanted to say that if anybody wants advice on the Portland and Weymouth area I'm happy to help, I live on Portland and have done most of my life.

I find it strange to think that the cruise lines encourage people to travel so far from Portland ie. Stone Henge etc as there is so much to do and see around this area it's such a shame to spend most of the day in a bus.

Hiring a car sounds like a great idea, definetly get the taxi straight there, don't get the shuttle bus first, if you try getting a taxi from the town centre you wont save any money as although its closer the traffic will run up the price on the meter.

:)

Hi, I'm new to cruise critic, just registered as hoping to cruise in October.

Just seen this post when searching for threads about Brugge and just wanted to say that if anybody wants advice on the Portland and Weymouth area I'm happy to help, I live on Portland and have done most of my life.

I find it strange to think that the cruise lines encourage people to travel so far from Portland ie. Stone Henge etc as there is so much to do and see around this area it's such a shame to spend most of the day in a bus.

Hiring a car sounds like a great idea, definetly get the taxi straight there, don't get the shuttle bus first, if you try getting a taxi from the town centre you wont save any money as although its closer the traffic will run up the price on the meter.

:)

I agree with salongirl. I've lived in Dorset all my life, currently in Sherborne. There are so many lovely places to see in Dorset without having to go very far from Portland. Lyme Regis, West Bay, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove just to name a few. Also Sherborne, which is a lovely market town with Sherborne Abbey and Sherborne Castle, built by Sir Walter Raleigh. Dorset is a beautiful county so save your time and energy and enjoy Dorset!

D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I live on Portland and have done most of my life.

. I've lived in Dorset all my life, currently in Sherborne.

Hi, Girls.

OK, so like most of us you've joined Cruise Critic to get advice about your own cruises.:)

But more & more ships are visiting Portland, and your local knowledge can be invaluable.

Yes, Dorset has plenty to offer without the long & well-worn roads to Stonehenge or Bath.

I'm 60-odd miles away but apart from yourselves I seem to be the most local regular on CC. And altho' I used to drive coach tours to Weymouth, Sherborne & such my knowledge of the area is limited & fading.

Perhaps Salongirl you can throw some light on the point raised by LHT - the availability of taxis at the port? I know the port is a secure gated area, but on cruise days are there taxis for hire inside or outside the port?