Anyone arranged their own 2 night/3 day off ship tour from Milford Sound?

MillieMeter

I am seeking advice from anyone who has ever arranged their own off ship tour during the time that the ship is cruising around the Fiordland National Park until it reaches Halfmoon Bay. Is this possible or do you have to do one of the ship's excursions? Is it so difficult that it would not even be worth trying to make my own arrangements? I don't have a clue yet what the cost would be from Seabourn but I was hoping I could possibly arrange it more reasonably on my own. If someone could give me some idea as to whether I should attempt this or if it would be more trouble than it would cost just to go ahead with Seabourn. Thanks for your much needed input!

I am seeking advice from anyone who has ever arranged their own off ship tour during the time that the ship is cruising around the Fiordland National Park until it reaches Halfmoon Bay. Is this possible or do you have to do one of the ship's excursions? Is it so difficult that it would not even be worth trying to make my own arrangements? I don't have a clue yet what the cost would be from Seabourn but I was hoping I could possibly arrange it more reasonably on my own. If someone could give me some idea as to whether I should attempt this or if it would be more trouble than it would cost just to go ahead with Seabourn. Thanks for your much needed input!

Halfmoon bay is on stewart island which is a flight or ferry ride off the end of south island! The sea and air in that area can be notoriously rough and i wouldnt recommend diy for that reason. Flights and ferries are often cancelled. Whilst i have not personally experienced cancellations on two non cruise trips i have read about them. Besides. Stewart island is fantastic and i would not substitute that for, e g queenstown or elsewhere in fiordland. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am confused. Are you looking for tours that leave from Milford Sound or Halfmoon Bay? We took a fabulous 3-week land-based (walking) tour of South Island and there are excursions we took that I am sure you would be able to book without being part of a walking tour, since they use local companies to book these activities. What I can recommend without hesitation is a helicopter flight landing on top of a glacier (maybe Rob Roy), also a small plane tour (and I mean small… think 4 seats plus pilot) which flew between mountains, glaciers and over Milford Sound. Both were breathtaking. The country is magnificent.

This is our "trip of a lifetime" so far (much as we have enjoyed our Seabourn cruises.) If this sort of thing appeals, you might google some of this information and I'm pretty sure you will the find companies that can assist you. Perhaps you will find a 2 or 3-day tour from Milford Sound that includes some sight-seeing, hiking and/or flights. But a cruise of Milford Sound, and I assume it's included in Seabourn's itinerary, shouldn't be missed.