Gamla Stan and/or Skansen

Grammyluvs

We will be in Stockholm from 7AM-2PM. Very interested in seeing Gamla Stan and Skansen. Will we have time to do both? Suggestions for transportation to each and order we should see them. 7AM is an early docking time. Will that impede our ability to see both. If so, do you have alternate suggestions for our time. We will be on the Emerald Princess on Tuesday,May21, 2013. Thanks.

We will be in Stockholm from 7AM-2PM. Very interested in seeing Gamla Stan and Skansen. Will we have time to do both? Suggestions for transportation to each and order we should see them. 7AM is an early docking time. Will that impede our ability to see both. If so, do you have alternate suggestions for our time. We will be on the Emerald Princess on Tuesday, May21, 2013. Thanks.

For a super wonderful city like Stockholm, it is too bad that your time is BOTH so short in port and forcing you to arrive there and depart so very early. Not fair!!

On your good questions of Gamla Stan versus Skansen, so much depends on what is of personal interest to you. How much are you interested in history, museums, food, art, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

My strong vote would be for Gamla Stan. You can get there really early in the morning, walk around, soak up the great history, culture and architecture, etc. The shops and better food places won't be open at 8 am. But you can experience it, get a good sampling for this historic and very interesting area. Below are some of my visual samples. By contrast Skansen seems nice and OK. BUT, lots of places have outdoor parks, zoos, etc. At Skansen, there is a full replica of an average 19th-century town, with craftsmen in traditional dress such as tanners, shoemakers, silversmiths, bakers and glass-blowers demonstrating their skills in period surroundings. Nice, but not the "real thing" as you have more at Gamia Stan.

You could maybe do both if you rush, rush. BUT, there are other great in Stockholm, including the Vasa Museum, etc.

Reactions and questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,369 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the historic Gamia Stan area starts. Walking around in the Gamia Stan is wonderful as you soak up its history, charm and interesting architecture. Lots of fun outdoor dining places there for lunch, etc.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and hosts Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period.:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard was one of our highlights from visiting this historic capital in Sweden. Loved this part of our visit.:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

Here's a statute you will see as you walk around in the Gamia Stan area.:

StockholmOldTownStatute.jpg

Another angle for the various buildings in the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city with many outdoor dining places.:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

Ouch.

2pm.

What a nonsense.:(

We were disappointed with Skansen. Looks to have been conceived years ago with the right objectives, but now rather run-down & operated in a half-hearted way. For example the "restored houses" were either closed & locked (even the church !!) or with just one room open as a souvenir shop. "Demonstrations" comprised one bakery making flat breads & another so boring that I can't remember what it was.

The "animals" comprised pigs. And half of those were plastic :D

Seems to be mainly used for school tours & special events.

Someone said we didn't venture in far enough. You'll not have time to.

Sorry, I'm not a moaner, I'm usually so much more positive about places I've been.

Gamla Stan is very interesting to walk around, and hard by the Royal Palace & city centre.

If your ship berths in Stadtsgarten (please don't say it berths out at Frihamnen :() catch the ho-ho boat from ship to Slussen, walk through Gamla Stan to the next boat stop, by the Royal Palace.

Consider stopping off at the Vasa stop (near Skansen) to look over the impressive preserved man-o-war Vasa, though there might be crowds. Then carry on in the ho-ho boat back to your ship at Stadtsgarten.

For timetabling purposes, boats run approx every 15 - 20mins, and a round-trip (without getting off) takes an hour

JB :)

Thanks....good advice. I love the pictures you post; makes me excited to go there. My husband's maternal side of the family immigrated from Sweden and we were wanting to see a depiction of what we think there lives may have been like. They were farmers and lived in Skane, so the city life probably wouldn't depict their lives that much. But then again, since we won't have time to really do much sight seeing, we probably need to focus on just seeing the interest of Stockholm. It was probably unrealistic to expect to learn much of his ancestry in such a short time. Guess we will have to go back;)

I agree about the time. Very disappointed. So far the consensus seems to lean towards Gamla Stan and the Vasa Museum. Not sure where we dock. Sure hope we are close since our time is so limited. Wonder if it wouldn't be better to go to museum first since we arrive so early and most establishments in Gamla Stan might not be open.

I agree about the time. Very disappointed. So far the consensus seems to lean towards Gamla Stan and the Vasa Museum. Not sure where we dock. Sure hope we are close since our time is so limited. Wonder if it wouldn't be better to go to museum first since we arrive so early and most establishments in Gamla Stan might not be open.

According to the Stockholm port website, http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/

you will be docking at Berth F638 FRIHAMNEN, which is a port area that must be driven from in order to get to Gamla Stan. You will not want to walk from that port location. You will either need to factor in 10-15 minutes or so drive time each way, if I recall correctly. You will need to find or arrange for a taxi, or perhaps Princess offers a shuttle. I've seen posts on here indicating a HopOn-Hop-Off bus greets ships at Frihamnen as well. Finally, it is possible to walk to a nearby bus stop and ride the bus in assuming you have the right currency to buy your tickets. Research on here for recent results with that approach as I can't recall.

Also, according to the Vasa website, they do not open until 10am on the day you will visit. They have longer hours in the summer, but that does not appear to start until June 1st. I would recommend you go to Gamla Stan very early and explore around even before the shops open. It's a lovely area to walk around and possibly even more so when not busy with crowds. But then you'll have to decide when to leave to do other things.

Thanks....good advice. I love the pictures you post; makes me excited to go there. My husband's maternal side of the family immigrated from Sweden and we were wanting to see a depiction of what we think there lives may have been like. They were farmers and lived in Skane, so the city life probably wouldn't depict their lives that much. But then again, since we won't have time to really do much sight seeing, we probably need to focus on just seeing the interest of Stockholm. It was probably unrealistic to expect to learn much of his ancestry in such a short time. Guess we will have to go back

Great to learn more on your situation and interests. Hopefully, this small taste of Stockholm will encourage a return trip. Many cruises in the Baltics either start or end in great cities such as Stockholm or Copenhagen. Ours ended in Stockholm, allowing us extra time there, spending the evening there, etc., etc. That added time was super important to do this historic city justice. Any cruise line doing a 7 am to 2 pm "stop" is cheating their customers. Almost like fraud!!

Since you liked the visual samples, below are a few of my pictures from in and around the wonderful Gamla Stan. Hope it hypes up even more your excitement about visiting this area of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,369 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Gamla Stan dates back to the 13th century and consists of medieval alleyways, cobbled streets and historic architecture, much inspired from the North German style that influenced this Old Town's construction. Stortorget is the name of the scenic large square in the center of Gamla Stan shown in the first picture. This Square is surrounded by old merchants' houses including the Stockholm Stock Exchange Building shown in this picture. The square was the site of the Stockholm Bloodbath where Swedish noblemen were massacred by a Danish King in 1520. A resulting revolt and civil war against the Danes led to King Gustav I and the founding of modern Sweden. These pictures show interesting building signage, historic building door/windows, a building sculpture and an angled view down a narrow street to the Saint Nicolaus Church tower.

GamiaCentSquarBldgFtn.jpg

GaminRestSignBldgRed.jpg

GaminDoorBldgWindows.jpg

GaminBldgSculptureDesign.jpg

GaminBldgsAngles2CentTower.jpg

I would also vote for Gamla Stan & the Vasa Museum. Strange docking times for the beautiful city of Stockholm. :( Still, as was previously stated, you will have some time to explore Gamla Stan and, if you desire, visit the Vasa. We visited the royal treasury & armoury at the palace ... immensely enjoyed both!

jill

Another vote against Skansen. Lots of walking (quite a bit on hills), a bit pricey, and a real letdown.

Gamla Stan was cool, as was the Vasa Museum. There's also a Contemporary Art museum near the Vasa Museum that we really enjoyed.

We also have the the short visit time and decided on a ships excursion to Vasa and Sigtuna. Sigtuna is rural and has an interesting history. I think at that pont in the cruise I will be ready for a non-city experience.

That sounds interesting as it might give us more of an idea of my husband's family's rural history. What cruise line are you on?

I am on the same sailing that Grammyluvs is on. (Hi, Grammyluvs!) Emerald Princess. I believe that Alaskanb is on the Emerald also, but a later sailing. (I've been looking at all the roll calls for Emerald this summer.) From my research, I'm pretty sure that Princess will have a shuttle from Frihamnen, but I don't know where it leaves you off in town.

I was also thinking of taking a ship excursion, due to our short time in Stockholm. I think it might be better than trying to DIY it with only a few hours.

That sounds interesting as it might give us more of an idea of my husband's family's rural history. What cruise line are you on?

I'm on the Emerald Princess on the June 3 sailing.

A cruising friend took the Sigtuna excursion and enjoyed it so we will do the same. I suggest you do a little research on the town -- its on a lake.

Grammy

Let me also throw my vote for Gamla Stan. When we were there we just LOVED this area. It is so, what you look at as being European. With it;s narrow cobblestone streets, some teeming with tourists while a block or two away, you may find nary a one. We just love the opportunity to wander about, finding some hidden little shops to browse in.

Since the time you dock in Stockholm is really not the best. Most people say to visit the Vasa Museum ( A MUST SEE) as soon as it opens as the only allow a certain number of people in at a time. After June 1 it opens at 8:30, but when you are there, it opens at 10:00. Since they say you are docking at Frimhamen, it might make it difficult to get to Gamla Stan, then Vasa and back to Gamla Stan. That is up to you. You could take a chance and get to Vasa say, about noon, spend an hour and then back to the ship, and just hope that the lines aren't there and you can walk right in.

Gamla Stan is just wonderful. You can wander about, go to the Nobel Museum, shop, eat, sit and just linger over a bite to eat, go the the Royal Palace, see the Changing of the guard ceremony,. just so many things to do and such a short time to do it in.

A view of the main street in Gamla Stan, with tourists all over the place

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1275.jpg

And just a block or two away, there is hardly anyone there

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1270.jpg

Sit and enjoy the crowds, the area, the atmosphere

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Go into the Nobel Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

If you have time, try and view the Changing of the Guards ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Cheers

Len

Since the time you dock in Stockholm is really not the best. Most people say to visit the Vasa Museum ( A MUST SEE) as soon as it opens as the only allow a certain number of people in at a time. After June 1 it opens at 8:30, but when you are there, it opens at 10:00. Since they say you are docking at Frimhamen, it might make it difficult to get to Gamla Stan, then Vasa and back to Gamla Stan. That is up to you. You could take a chance and get to Vasa say, about noon, spend an hour and then back to the ship, and just hope that the lines aren't there and you can walk right in.

Len

Could you elaborate on the lines. Is there a line to buy tickets and a line to enter? If one has a Stockholm card, do you go directly to the entry line?

Thanks

My husband's maternal side of the family immigrated from Sweden and we were wanting to see a depiction of what we think there lives may have been like. They were farmers and lived in Skane, so the city life probably wouldn't depict their lives that much.

There is no time to you to see the whole Skansen but if you feel it is very important to you an option would be to see just a little part of it. The southeast part of Skansen depicts southern Sweden including a Skåne farmstead surrounded by typical domestic animals from that area. Skansen opens at 10 am and entrance tickets cost 110 kr - about 17 USD in May (150 kr later in the summer) and its up to you if its worth it. Here is a map

http://www.skansen.se/en/artikel/map-skansen

Skansen is very hilly but note that there is an escalator near the main entrance that saves a lot of effort even if it sends you a bit in wrong direction. To reach the Skåne area then take aim on the huge Hällestad belfry.

You could reach Skansen reasonably easy from Gamla Stan with the Djurgården ferry that starts near Slussen. I think it takes some 10-15 minutes. From the ferry stop on Djurgården there is just a short walk (some 400 meter) to the Skansen main entrance.

The main problem would be for you to get back to the ship from Skansen or rather how to get a bus ticket as they are not sold on the bus.

Tram (S) or bus 44, changing to bus 76 at Djurgårdsbron, would take you back to Frihamnen. Better you check the bus schedules. http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

And as said, its a tight schedule do you would have to keep close track on the time.

There is no time to you to see the whole Skansen but if you feel it is very important to you an option would be to see just a little part of it. The southeast part of Skansen depicts southern Sweden including a Skåne farmstead surrounded by typical domestic animals from that area. Skansen opens at 10 am and entrance tickets cost 110 kr - about 17 USD in May (150 kr later in the summer) and its up to you if its worth it. Here is a map

Thanks so much. This is the information I was wondering about. After looking at the map, my husband said he would be just as happy to see the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan. Hopefully, this will lead to a return to Sweden just to explore the whole country. His aunt and uncle have done this and highly recommend we take that route. Thanks CC for all the help.

Just want to add a few words about public transport from Frihamnen. There is a bus that stops close to this port. It is bus number 76 and it has stops both in Gamla Stan and also close to the Vasa Museum. It is not possible to buy tickets on the bus, you need tickets before you board. But during previous seasons tickets have been sold in a little kiosk just where you leave the ship. They also have some tourist information and souvenirs there. It is not difficult to find the bus stop.

The name of the stop for Vasa Museum is Djurgårdsbron, ask the driver to tell you when to get off. From there it is a short walk across a bridge and on to the museum. In Gamla stan there is one stop at the north end close to the Royal Palace, and one at Slussen, at the south end.

As mentioned before there is also a ferry to travel between Gamla Stan and the aea where the Vasa and Skansen Museums are located. Tickets for the ferry can be bought where you board.

Here is a map where you can see where bus 76 is going as a red line:

https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

We are arriving May 14 and will be in port 8-4. I thought that was bad but feel lucky now. However, there are to be 3 large cruise ships in port that day and the Vasa doesn't open until 10:00. Apparently we dock in Frihamnen(sp?). The usual advice is to do Vasa first thing. I think we will probably just head directly to the Vasa and try to be there when they open. I don't think we can do much before that. Not enough time in Gamla Stan(sp?) and would prefer to see that area when shops, etc. are open. Any other suggestions?

Thank you, north-bound, for providing this very useful map of the bus 76 route and the other information you have included in your post. I also would like to thank Ultimate Thule for the information you have contributed over the years as well. We all appreciate your assistance in helping us navigate our way throughout your wonderful City!

Dolfans from Miami

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do!"

Walt Disney

Skansen is very hilly but note that there is an escalator near the main entrance that saves a lot of effort even if it sends you a bit in wrong direction. To reach the Skåne area then take aim on the huge Hällestad belfry.

You could reach Skansen reasonably easy from Gamla Stan with the Djurgården ferry that starts near Slussen. I think it takes some 10-15 minutes. From the ferry stop on Djurgården there is just a short walk (some 400 meter) to the Skansen main entrance.

The main problem would be for you to get back to the ship from Skansen or rather how to get a bus ticket as they are not sold on the bus.

Tram (S) or bus 44, changing to bus 76 at Djurgårdsbron, would take you back to Frihamnen. Better you check the bus schedules. http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

And as said, its a tight schedule do you would have to keep close track on the time.

Tickets are available to buy in both Gamla stan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35870352&postcount=1037

and at Djurgården: Djurgårdsslättens Kiosk, Djurgårdsslätten 45 (not far from Wasa). Direction from where Djurgårdsfärjan docks.

If you want a shorter walking route, you can walk through Galärvarvskyrkogården. Some steep stairs though at the Vasa end of the path.

Also see this link for a few pictures of Skansen by winter: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9980835/

Could you elaborate on the lines. Is there a line to buy tickets and a line to enter? If one has a Stockholm card, do you go directly to the entry line?

Thanks

I didn't use the Stockholm card so I do not know anything about it and if will gain you entry to the Vasa Museum ahead of others.

The 'lines' I speak of is that they only allow x number of people in the Museum at a time. So, for example, if there are 3-4 ships in port that day, the Museum gets a bit crowded so you will have to wait until they allow more people in. It is a huge place, but this is one of the biggest tourist attractions in all of Europe, and everyone wants to see it. That is why most suggest you get there when it opens, so you will assure yourself of being in the first group that goes in. If you wait till later in the day, you just never know if you may have to wait on line to get in.

Now, many have said that they came in the afternoon and walked right in. That may be so, but,a gain, it will depend on the time of year and how many ships are in post that day. Most do not want to take the chance of missing seeing the Vasa because they have to be back on the ship and cannot wait to get in.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

In the entrance hall you'll have the doors to the museum in front of you (from left to right two exit doors and then two entrance doors I think) with the "ticket booth" in the right wall next to the entrance doors. There is no separate queue but as far as I can remember there is someone guarding the doors and checking that you have a ticket. Then you go trought three sets of black heavy doors and suddenly you'll be standing right in front of the ship.

The museum can handle quite a lot of people. The only place that might become a bit crowded is near the stern of the ship as it is perhaps the most spectacular part. I once saw three guided tours (Spanish, German, Finnish) ending up there at same time!

Archived