Anybody switch to Norwegian (or sail Norwegian now more frequently)?

UPNYGuy

There are several of us here (probably more than a handful) that were fiercely loyal to HAL that now feel the same way about NCL. I would say those of you that like the vista class would probably like the jewel class IF you keep an open mind. DW and I can't for the life of us figure out why NCL was getting such complaints about dining room food. We think it is great. Plus, they treat suite guests as a pampered lap dog being pet for hours ;)

Many people here on the HAL forum talk Norwegian down because of things they have heard, or because Norwegian is a "mass market" line and HAL is holier than thou premium. I will straight up say that I have caught myself comparing Norwegian in the premium bracket more than once. Sure they have rock walls and ropes courses, but in the end it is the SERVICE that counts, and the ability of staff to assist. NCL is becoming the new premium IMHO. I'd rather pay for a good show and enjoy it than sit through a free hatchet job.

DW and I are Sailing NCL exclusively now, but still pop in here because I have lots of good memories on HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, I don't agree. I have sailed NCL and HAL, and various other cruise lines.. I sail with lowered expectations on NCL and NCL lives down to them every time. It is now at the point that I have told my husband I would rather not cruise if I only had a choice of NCL or (shudder) Carnival (which I have also tried).

Every one mentions have great the suite life is on NCL, but my response is one wouldn't buy a luxury penthouse in a subsidized housing complex, why buy a suite on a bottom of the barrow (shared status with Carnival, IMO) cruiseline?

Gee, maybe I should tell you how I really feel.:p

I tend to swing back and forth between HAL and NCL Jewel class ships, but I tried Princess and RCL each once. In general, except for my upcoming HAL TransAtl, I prefer NCL for itineraries with many sea days; nothing is more fun than an NCL ship on a sea day with more activities than one can count for all tastes.

I never eat in the MDR (I live in southern Louisiana, with great food available on every corner). However, the buffet on NCL has better food and hours. HAL room service breakfasts are far superior.

HAL has more unique itineraries, but NCL excursions are more exciting, intellectually or physically. It also seems easier to avoid the forced hard sell in selected port shops on NCL, as there are more opportunities to go off (sometimes waay off) the beaten path.

Bottom line, it usually depends on the itinerary for me.

I am guessing this is on the HAL forum because you are comparing. I would think that if you are giving your praises about NCL, it should be on the NCL forums. The original post sounds to me like you are trying to sway people to NCL from HAL. I think the post is OK but it should be moved to the NCL forum in my opinion, which is not everyone's opinion.

Diane

We had a suite on NCL Star and really loved it so are going on the NCL Sun in a suite. I liked eating breakfast and lunch in the smaller special dining room away from the crowds of the Lido. We will be sailing on the Ryndam when we get off that cruise. It will be interesting to compare the two. We only book outside cabins on the smaller HAL ships, find that anything above that seems too expensive and probably is not worth the money. We have also been cruising on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean because they offer much better past passenger benefits. We have close to 200 days on HAL but don't get much of anything from them.

I would never ever say that I wouldn't cruise if I could only cruise on Norwegian. I went on the Zaandam in June to Alaska, loved it. Going on Celebrity in October, will love that, am going on Norwegian for a New Years cruise and super excited about it. We have cruised on Norwegian lots of time...great cruise line...just different from Holland America. Be open minded and have fun on all cruise lines.

Much as I have sailed a lot of HAL now 3* & counting, I've been sailing NCL the last two years because they do Europe/Med. in winter, I got bored with Caribbean and not ready yet for far east or AU/NZ on HAL. Maasdam last yr. E coast Canada/US was my last HAL. Now I am finding interesting itineraries on NCL at cheaper prices and have 3 more coming up in EuropeTA, North Cape/Norway and repo SD-Santiago. Some itineraries I just don't feel like dressing up on like I do on HAL. And the buffet on NCL is open later at night for casual dining. NCL is a nice change but I will get back to HAL.

I am guessing this is on the HAL forum because you are comparing. I would think that if you are giving your praises about NCL, it should be on the NCL forums. The original post sounds to me like you are trying to sway people to NCL from HAL. I think the post is OK but it should be moved to the NCL forum in my opinion, which is not everyone's opinion. Diane

I've noticed a lot of this lately ... posters singing the praises of NCL to HAL cruisers. I'm perplexed as to why devote NCL cruisers waste their time on a HAL site. I'm trying to figure out their purpose of doing this on the HAL boards. This is not the same as a HAL cruiser asking if anyone has sailed NCL and what they thought about it. These recent posts seem more like recruiting ... or a grudge against HAL.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Just because people try out other cruiselines and mention it here is not a bad thing. They are happy to share some info. They have enjoyed lots of Hal cruises and are just letting people know how they feel about another cruise line. This is cruise critic and we can express things. I like knowing what's going on with Hal even if I am not sailing with Hal at the moment. I like to read what some of my Hal pals are up to. When I am looking at other cruise line threads I see Hal people there too. People look around and comment just cause they are interested.

I believe that a balance to the NCL bashing here is a breath of fresh air. We are ones that book by itinerary first, then look at the ship next, then finally the line. Sailing on Norwegian Pearl for a 3 week repositioning from Seattle to Miami was fantastic, with little to no negatives for us. We have sailed a 3 day on the Zaandam, found it very "crowded" (put it down to a booze cruise feel). Yet we are very much looking forward to our upcoming circle cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver on the Zaandam. Then again, my wife and I are very positive people, and try to not focus on the negatives :D

We've sailed 60+ days on HAL, 35+ on Princess and 21+ on NCL. Would sail on any of them again. Pros and cons to each but never had a bad cruise on any of them :)

Need to try RCL, Celebrity, Carnival and others though as well.

Too many cruise lines to stay loyal to one - Itinerary and value swings things for us.

There are several of us here (probably more than a handful) that were fiercely loyal to HAL that now feel the same way about NCL. I would say those of you that like the vista class would probably like the jewel class IF you keep an open mind. DW and I can't for the life of us figure out why NCL was getting such complaints about dining room food. We think it is great. Plus, they treat suite guests as a pampered lap dog being pet for hours ;)

Many people here on the HAL forum talk Norwegian down because of things they have heard, or because Norwegian is a "mass market" line and HAL is holier than thou premium. I will straight up say that I have caught myself comparing Norwegian in the premium bracket more than once. Sure they have rock walls and ropes courses, but in the end it is the SERVICE that counts, and the ability of staff to assist. NCL is becoming the new premium IMHO. I'd rather pay for a good show and enjoy it than sit through a free hatchet job.

DW and I are Sailing NCL exclusively now, but still pop in here because I have lots of good memories on HAL.

Count me in as another 4 Star Mariner that was extremely loyal to HAL for many years that now NCL is my first choice for a cruise.

With balancing two careers my vacation time is now extremely limited...figures that when you have the time you don't have the money and when you have the money you don't have the time :D

My last cruise this year was on the NCL Jewel out of New Orleans and we absolutely loved that ship. In November we are returning to the NCL Jewel this time out of Houston same itinerary that we love. Out last HAL was over New Years and to say we were not the least bit impressed would be an under statement. The food was probably some of the worst we have ever had on a cruise. Going a few weeks later on the Jewel was like night and day difference between a very unhappy ship of crew members and and Very happy with fantastic food. Plus the cruise is just plain fun with something going on any time day or night.

You are very right the Jewel Class of NCL is very much the same as the Vista Class. There are many things that yes are different that NCL does that HAL does not but there are many things about NCL that remind of the way HAL use to be and those things I love.

I do have a HAL cruise booked for May 2014 to return to Alaska but NCL is bringing the Jewel to the West Coast to Home Port in the Winters and we are calling her our Oosterdam replacement because we will be booking November 2015 to sail on her to Mexico.

NCL Jewel just offers all the things I look for in a cruise, a Great Spa with a nice Thermal Suite, many restaurant choices with VERY good food, lots of things to actually purchase in the shops on board.(Yes I find I spend far more money;) ) Especially with a nice selection of fragrances and cosmetics to purchase. ( I bring my list of Este Lauder and Lancome and stock up. Lots of nice Lounges with lots of entertainment that gets us out of the cabin and enjoying cocktails. Plus it has a really nice Garden Cafe aka Lido where there is always a table to be found, crew to clean off the table and some amazing soups and salads and huge variety of food.

I admit I miss HAL the way they use to be but with them abandoning the West Coast and the changes they continue to make it has caused many to look elsewhere and in doing that we found something we really like. The Suite Life on NCL is amazing and I am looking forward to enjoying the Suite Life again very soon. :D

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

Being Hal is deserting the West Coast, they are leaving us with no choice but to go with other cruise lines. We like Princess and are looking into maybe trying NCL.

NCL Sun Oct 24, 2015. 11-day Mexican Riviera including Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. :)

Edited by dobiemom

Count me in as another 4 Star Mariner that was extremely loyal to HAL for many years that now NCL is my first choice for a cruise.

With balancing two careers my vacation time is now extremely limited...figures that when you have the time you don't have the money and when you have the money you don't have the time :D

My last cruise this year was on the NCL Jewel out of New Orleans and we absolutely loved that ship. In November we are returning to the NCL Jewel this time out of Houston same itinerary that we love. Out last HAL was over New Years and to say we were not the least bit impressed would be an under statement. The food was probably some of the worst we have ever had on a cruise. Going a few weeks later on the Jewel was like night and day difference between a very unhappy ship of crew members and and Very happy with fantastic food. Plus the cruise is just plain fun with something going on any time day or night.

You are very right the Jewel Class of NCL is very much the same as the Vista Class. There are many things that yes are different that NCL does that HAL does not but there are many things about NCL that remind of the way HAL use to be and those things I love.

I do have a HAL cruise booked for May 2014 to return to Alaska but NCL is bringing the Jewel to the West Coast to Home Port in the Winters and we are calling her our Oosterdam replacement because we will be booking November 2015 to sail on her to Mexico.

NCL Jewel just offers all the things I look for in a cruise, a Great Spa with a nice Thermal Suite, many restaurant choices with VERY good food, lots of things to actually purchase in the shops on board.(Yes I find I spend far more money;) ) Especially with a nice selection of fragrances and cosmetics to purchase. ( I bring my list of Este Lauder and Lancome and stock up. Lots of nice Lounges with lots of entertainment that gets us out of the cabin and enjoying cocktails. Plus it has a really nice Garden Cafe aka Lido where there is always a table to be found, crew to clean off the table and some amazing soups and salads and huge variety of food.

I admit I miss HAL the way they use to be but with them abandoning the West Coast and the changes they continue to make it has caused many to look elsewhere and in doing that we found something we really like. The Suite Life on NCL is amazing and I am looking forward to enjoying the Suite Life again very soon. :D

Once again, my personal feelings are this is a recruiting post. Others will feel differently.

I am guessing this is on the HAL forum because you are comparing. I would think that if you are giving your praises about NCL, it should be on the NCL forums. The original post sounds to me like you are trying to sway people to NCL from HAL. I think the post is OK but it should be moved to the NCL forum in my opinion, which is not everyone's opinion.

Diane

I've noticed a lot of this lately ... posters singing the praises of NCL to HAL cruisers. I'm perplexed as to why devote NCL cruisers waste their time on a HAL site. I'm trying to figure out their purpose of doing this on the HAL boards. This is not the same as a HAL cruiser asking if anyone has sailed NCL and what they thought about it. These recent posts seem more like recruiting ... or a grudge against HAL.

Let me see if I can say some thing here that might make sense to both of you. First off the HAL CC board has been my home for many years. I started posting here in 2003. I started the Web Cams Waves on the Oosterdam that we did for many years and started the Where's The Fleet. People on this board are like family to me. While I occasionally post on the NCL Board they do not know me so there for do not have that warm friendly feeling. Maybe if I hung around there a lot it would eventually happen but I have many here that post that I feel are personal friends.

UPNYGuy I think feels similar that he enjoyed HAL for many years and just wants to share that many people that post here may really also like NCL.

For many years on the board long before I tried NCL I truly felt that NCL was a bottom of the barrel cruise line basically from what I read here on the HAL board while many others would post here on the HAL board about Princess being very similar to HAL. I have only been on one Princess cruise so not fair to compare but did not find it at all like HAL yet found NCL to be so much better than what I expected and found many things to remind me of HAL. I guess I am just trying to speak up that NCL might not be as bad as everyone wants to believe it is. Of the cruise lines I have been on RCI, Princess and Celebrity NCL to me is the most similar to HAL :) Or at least the way HAL was in say 2003 through 2010.

Over the last several years I have done three Live from Threads on NCL ships and came here to the HAL Board since this is where my friends are to let everyone know I was doing a Live from. I cannot tell you how many people that have commented and emailed me to thank me that they have now tried NCL and also enjoyed the cruise line. I am not saying that everyone needs to switch to NCL but it is a very nice change and that many HAL loyalist may actually find they like NCL if the try it rather than put it down because of what they think it is, or read what it is or tried it several years ago..

Once again, my personal feelings are this is a recruiting post. Others will feel differently.

I am not sure why you are so bother by this, :confused: For many years here on the HAL Board we have often compare other cruise line to HAL. Definitely no recruiting just stating personal feelings as one who was once an extremely loyal HAL Cheer Leader I now find things about NCL that remind me of the way HAL use to be from the Happy Filipino crew with smiling faves that always remember your name, to the repeaters party that is held in the lounge and serves cocktails and Good Nuts the way HAL use to do. Oh how I miss so many things of the days when we cruised the Oosterdam on the West Coast a few times a year but those days are gone and I do not see HAL bringing back the good old days :(

Let me see if I can say some thing here that might make sense to both of you. First off the HAL CC board has been my home for many years. I started posting here in 2003. I started the Web Cams Waves on the Oosterdam that we did for many years and started the Where's The Fleet. People on this board are like family to me. While I occasionally post on the NCL Board they do not know me so there for do not have that warm friendly feeling. Maybe if I hung around there a lot it would eventually happen but I have many here that post that I feel are personal friends.

UPNYGuy I think feels similar that he enjoyed HAL for many years and just wants to share that many people that post here may really also like NCL.

For many years on the board long before I tried NCL I truly felt that NCL was a bottom of the barrel cruise line basically from what I read here on the HAL board while many others would post here on the HAL board about Princess being very similar to HAL. I have only been on one Princess cruise so not fair to compare but did not find it at all like HAL yet found NCL to be so much better than what I expected and found many things to remind me of HAL. I guess I am just trying to speak up that NCL might not be as bad as everyone wants to believe it is. Of the cruise lines I have been on RCI, Princess and Celebrity NCL to me is the most similar to HAL :) Or at least the way HAL was in say 2003 through 2010.

Over the last several years I have done three Live from Threads on NCL ships and came here to the HAL Board since this is where my friends are to let everyone know I was doing a Live from. I cannot tell you how many people that have commented and emailed me to thank me that they have now tried NCL and also enjoyed the cruise line. I am not saying that everyone needs to switch to NCL but it is a very nice change and that many HAL loyalist may actually find they like NCL if the try it rather than put it down because of what they think it is, or read what it is or tried it several years ago..

That was EXACTLY my point...that HAL loyalists are putting NCL down simply just because it is the "cool" thing to do.

Once again, any time somebody says anything negative about HAL, you have a comment ;)

The main negative I have heard about NCL would be the food in the MDR isn't up to par and I have heard that from NCL cruisers. I have looked at the MDR menus on the NCL boards and the regular MDR menus look good. Many seem to prefer the specialty restaurants and paying for them. I know many people who prefer not eating in the MDR on both lines. I very much enjoy the Pinnacle grill on HAL but eqaully enjoy the food in the MDR. There is obviously more specialty restaurants to choose from on NCL. I can see that as a real plus for those who do not like eating in the MDR. I guess the other negative I've heard is that regular staterooms on NCL are not as comfortable as HAL. We all know we can't always believe everything we hear.

Diane

The main negative I have heard about NCL would be the food in the MDR isn't up to par and I have heard that from NCL cruisers. I have looked at the MDR menus on the NCL boards and the regular MDR menus look good. Many seem to prefer the specialty restaurants and paying for them. I know many people who prefer not eating in the MDR on both lines. I very much enjoy the Pinnacle grill on HAL but eqaully enjoy the food in the MDR. There is obviously more specialty restaurants to choose from on NCL. I can see that as a real plus for those who do not like eating in the MDR. I guess the other negative I've heard is that regular staterooms on NCL are not as comfortable as HAL. We all know we can't always believe everything we hear.

Diane

Diane, I have to say that is one of the things I have seen change since my first NCL cruise almost 5 years ago. This last cruise we did on the Jewel in March had some of the best food in the Main Dining Room I have had on a ship in years. I have raved about several meals. I love sea food and the seafood dishes were amazing. I had Salmon one night that was so sweet and moist and flavorful and then I had this most amazing Blue Crab Crab Cakes. In previous NCL cruises we ate most of the meals in the specialty venues, the past one we had three dinners in the Main dining room and enjoyed them as much as Le Bistro which is their French restaurant. This next cruise will again be probably three nights in their main dining room and 4 in the specialty. We tend to be creatures of habit once we find something we like so we pretty much know what we want to do ;)

As for staterooms on the Jewel class ships which are similar to Vista Class I will be the first to admit the cabins are over all smaller than HAL, the decor could even remind you of a college dorm from the 70's :D but with the entertainment, great food and amazing crew the decor in the stateroom is really not that big of a deal. Our next cruise with be our 4th Suite with NCL and that is where things start to change and the amenities and service is way beyond what HAL offers. I cruise with friends that do not book the suites but have also cruised HAL and they find the cabins to be very comfortable, the beds are as comfortable as HAL and the lay out of the bathrooms are quite nice. They also have the full line of Elemis products in the cabin which is another thing that reminds me of HAL ;-)

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

I am not sure why you are so bother by this, :confused: For many years here on the HAL Board we have often compare other cruise line to HAL. Definitely no recruiting just stating personal feelings as one who was once an extremely loyal HAL Cheer Leader I now find things about NCL that remind me of the way HAL use to be from the Happy Filipino crew with smiling faves that always remember your name, to the repeaters party that is held in the lounge and serves cocktails and Good Nuts the way HAL use to do. Oh how I miss so many things of the days when we cruised the Oosterdam on the West Coast a few times a year but those days are gone and I do not see HAL bringing back the good old days :(

Count me as one who always enjoys your posts and is happy to learn from them. Your opinion is valued by many other posters as well.

Diane

True, the NCL cabins are not as comfortable as HAL's; in fact, I believe someone at NCL must have scoured the world marketplace for the most uncomfortable sofa in existence. However, the reasonably priced NCL balconies MORE than make up for it.