Warning re airport security

lizziebargain

I just returned from Amsterdam via Houston with my 15 year old daughter whose cell phone had died. All flights coming into the U.S. from Europe and perhaps other places too-you must now be able to power up your computers, cell phones etc at security or they will be confiscated. United allowed me to put my laptop with little charge left in my checked baggage but we completely forgot about my daughters phone. It was tested for explosives and there was oodles of paperwork to do and we almost missed our flight. Lesson learned about this new rule that came into effect July 8 I was told. I read in an article that British Airways takes it one step further and will not let you board with a dead device-even if you put it in the checked baggage or offer to throw it away!! Perhaps this rule is common knowledge to Americans but it was a complete surprise to me and if I can save anyone else missing a flight or having their devices confiscated I am sharing what happened to us. Happy travels.

On a side note I needed to get an RX filled in Germany-it was dispensed in it's original glass bottle without my name etc on it. Quite different from NA where our name, dosage etc is always listed. I know we have had a lot of discussion about carrying of prescriptions aboard so I found this to be quite a different way of doing things.

Edited by lizziebargain

There've been a number of threads on this issue which have provided some excellent advice on ways to ensure that you don't face the problems you encountered. I travel with an Anker Astro Pro which can fully recharge multiple devices at one go, but there are many less expensive devices that would be able to recharge a phone and laptop sufficiently to turn them on an meet the security requirements.

Thanks for the reminder.

We will be passing through Heathrow in ten days. Heathrow is our least favourite airport at the best of times. We have been there during heightened security....long line ups with many people missing international connections.

If it was bad at AMS, it will be much worse at LHR.

Thanks for the reminder.

We will be passing through Heathrow in ten days. Heathrow is our least favourite airport at the best of times. We have been there during heightened security....long line ups with many people missing international connections.

FYI---don't carry any empty bottles in your carry on through Heathrow. When we went through security, they considered empty bottles "liquid". I would have loved the option of them just putting them in the trash, but I had to go through a special screening. I was the last person on the plane...they asked DH if he wanted to fly without me.

Delta sent us an email about the new security out of Europe. We had already read about it . Our netbook was not tested in AMS. I knew to leave my cellphone in our car at the airport, just in case it died. Didn't want to worry about charging it, since we don't use it in Europe.

Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, LHR security has always been tight.

When laptops were fairly new, I can remember being asked to turn mine on at the security checkpoint. I always had to remind myself to make sure it was charged before I went to the airport.

A friend is going to Europe in a few weeks. I'm going to email her with a reminder about this right now! Thanks for starting this thread, lizziebargain.

FYI---don't carry any empty bottles in your carry on through Heathrow. When we went through security, they considered empty bottles "liquid". I would have loved the option of them just putting them in the trash, but I had to go through a special screening. I was the last person on the plane...they asked DH if he wanted to fly without me.

HOLLY COW!!! That's like way over the top. :eek:

Thanks for the reminder.

Mrs. K dislikes LHR with an unspeakable passion. Luckily we've found direct flights to the Med (i.e., Athens, Rome, Venice) out of PHL on US Airways that work for us and avoid LHR and, for that matter, all the other major European airports. These are typically seasonal flights, meaning they run them like May through September, but it works for us. We're assuming and hoping that US Airways will continue to run these even after they fully merge operations with American Airlines. While US Airways and American are legally one airline now they still are running separate operations for the next couple of years.

Mrs. K dislikes LHR with an unspeakable passion. Luckily we've found direct flights to the Med (i.e., Athens, Rome, Venice) out of PHL on US Airways that work for us and avoid LHR and, for that matter, all the other major European airports. These are typically seasonal flights, meaning they run them like May through September, but it works for us. We're assuming and hoping that US Airways will continue to run these even after they fully merge operations with American Airlines. While US Airways and American are legally one airline now they still are running separate operations for the next couple of years.

Continental and United were in the same situation a few years ago. Changes were gradual and mostly smooth. But avoid flying around the time that the merger finalizes. The C-U merger closed the day before we were due to fly home from Australia. We thought we weren't going to be able to get home because United wouldn't let me check in online, and it looked like the computer lost our reservation. When I tried to call United, the canned message was "we're experiencing high call volume, please call back in 48 hours." And then it disconnected! Fortunately, we were able to check in at the airport and board our flight. But we couldn't check bags through and had to do a second bag drop/security line when we connected in SFO. So be prepared! Mergers are not necessarily your friend. The C-U merger gave us the worst aspects of both airlines, not the best.

Continental and United were in the same situation a few years ago. Changes were gradual and mostly smooth. But avoid flying around the time that the merger finalizes. The C-U merger closed the day before we were due to fly home from Australia. We thought we weren't going to be able to get home because United wouldn't let me check in online, and it looked like the computer lost our reservation. When I tried to call United, the canned message was "we're experiencing high call volume, please call back in 48 hours." And then it disconnected! Fortunately, we were able to check in at the airport and board our flight. But we couldn't check bags through and had to do a second bag drop/security line when we connected in SFO. So be prepared! Mergers are not necessarily your friend. The C-U merger gave us the worst aspects of both airlines, not the best.

We've actually already experienced some of the merging/growing pains like separate frequent flyer accounts, failure to recognize advanced frequent flyer status from one airline to the other, confusion over airport club membership and access, and higher prices for the same flights on one airline's site versus their company partner. Some of the kinks have been resolved like the club access while others are a work in progress. Here in San Antonio they're not even in the same terminal for check in or baggage claim and from what I've read that's going to take some time to resolve as neither terminal is supposedly capable of accommodating fully merged operations.

Was flying from southwestern UK to Heathrow to the US and had to list all my electronics before they would issue my boarding pass. All the luggage was scanned before I could approach the counter. As this was a business trip and I had ben in the UK for 30 days, I had a lot of electronics, adapters, etc. The very nice counter agent checked my list against the scans and said "Are you quite sure you have all listed?" So, I went over the list and I had indeed forgotten to list my travel alarm, added to the list and was handed my boarding pass.

Just read today that MI5, the Security Service for the UK, has elevated the security level to Severe and stated that "SEVERE means that a terrorist attack is highly likely" so expect additional delays!

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-threats/terrorism/threat-levels.html

Oh wheee. Going through LHR in 2 weeks.

Ironically when we last flew through Heathrow in early July the new rules had just been announced and no one knew exactly what to do. We had been assigned an open area gate for our Chicago flight, rather than one that is enclosed with a formal security line. Watching them trying to set up a "secure area" was hilarious. No one asked to turn electronics on in either the main security or this Keystone cops version. On top of it our flight crew was caught in traffic on the M4. Where was Alec Guinness when we needed him?

Thanks for the reminder...our news was full of this several weeks ago that all devices had to be able to be powered up...we leave for Amsterdam this week..

I am not the "nervous Nelly" type, but there are so many really, really bad people these days that will go to all ends to disrupt the civilized world...I am always vigilant about personal safety, but will be more so on this upcoming trip..So sad...:(

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Was flying from southwestern UK to Heathrow to the US and had to list all my electronics before they would issue my boarding pass. All the luggage was scanned before I could approach the counter. As this was a business trip and I had ben in the UK for 30 days, I had a lot of electronics, adapters, etc. The very nice counter agent checked my list against the scans and said "Are you quite sure you have all listed?" So, I went over the list and I had indeed forgotten to list my travel alarm, added to the list and was handed my boarding pass.

Just read today that MI5, the Security Service for the UK, has elevated the security level to Severe and stated that "SEVERE means that a terrorist attack is highly likely" so expect additional delays!

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-threats/terrorism/threat-levels.html

I listened to Prime Minister Cameron speak yesterday and he was very serious in his words about raising the security level. Security checks will only get stiffer so do your research to be certain you know all that is expected of passengers these days.

Safe travels to everyone.

This is a very timely reminder to us all. Have been following this in the news.

We leave for Frankfurt via Heathrow tomorrow.

I had already planned to leave my phone at home.

Only carrying my Ipad and camera.

My husband on the other hand has the garmin, computer, phone, and who knows what else.

I will get him to make a list.

Thanks to all who has posted on her.

Safe travels!

This is a very timely reminder to us all. Have been following this in the news.

We leave for Frankfurt via Heathrow tomorrow.

I had already planned to leave my phone at home.

Only carrying my Ipad and camera.

My husband on the other hand has the garmin, computer, phone, and who knows what else.

I will get him to make a list.

Thanks to all who has posted on her.

Safe travels!

Remind DH to be sure they are all charged.

Travel safely and have a great trip.

Delta sent us an email about the new security out of Europe. We had already read about it . Our netbook was not tested in AMS. I knew to leave my cellphone in our car at the airport, just in case it died. Didn't want to worry about charging it, since we don't use it in Europe.

Well, we avoid Heathrow like the plague. Abhor it. Thankfully we will go threw Frankfurt this time.

I'm surprised at the bottles though Linda. Were they empty water bottles or toiletry bottles? Seems a bit ludicrous.

Edited by kazu