Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival Magic - Slow Service and smelly glass alert.

My family and I just returned from our second Magic cruise in the two years she's been sailing out of Galveston. I knew the shows would be the same as would most everything else but service was definitely sub par.

We dine the Anytime option and regardless of the time and location, food just wasn't coming out of the kitchen smoothly at all last week. The wait staff were great as usual but waiting 15-20 minutes for an appetizer, then 30-45 for dinner and another 30-45 for dessert made for long dinners that seemed to take the entire evening.

Room service was no better. My daughter drinks milk for dinner and room service is the only spot to get it. Our calls were regularly ended with 'it will be an hour to an hour and a half for delivery'. Again the staff was great when they delivered, which is all it takes to make me happy.

Finally, and this one has to be experienced to be believed. My brother in law smelled one of the dry glasses at our dinner table before water arrived. The glasses all have a distinct fishy smell. It happened most every night. That and one dinner glass and one coffee cup had lipstick on separate nights. Wish I knew the brand. It would probably do well to paint the Carnival tail in that stuff.

Would this, in any way, stop me from sailing Carnival? Heck no! We all booked our next cruise while onboard for later this year. BUT, I won't sail the Magic again for a couple of years. My hope is that somebody with authority comes across this writing and can do something about it. In my experience, two years is usually enough time for staff/issues to turn over and correct themselves.

I could send an email to corporate, but again in my experience those emails seem to drop off the face of the digital world. I wouldn't be asking for anything anyhoo.

We still had a great time.
Jesse

January-14th sailing (Key West, Freeport, Nassau)

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up! Sailing the Magic in a couple weeks and am definitely hoping this was just an off week for them. I will report back with our experience.
Carnival Fantasy - 6/24/2004
Carnival Dream - 7/24/2010
Carnival Inspiration - 7/16/2011
Allure Of the Seas - 7/12/2012
Carnival Magic - 2/3/2013
Carnival Valor - 8/25/2013
Carnival Legend - 3/2/2014

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the review. I do hope the food and service improves.

PANAMA-CENTRAL AMERICA-CARIBBEAN CRUISE
for 11 days on the
CELEBRITY EQUINOX

***RE-UNION CRUISE WITH FRIENDS - NOV. 10, 2014****
CRUISE ROLL CALL--CLICK HERE

COMPLETED CRUISES:

Carnival - 'Festivale': Eastern Caribbean 9-22-89
Royal Caribbean - 'Rhapsody of the Seas': Western Caribbean 9-10-06
Carnival - 'Ecstasy': Western Caribbean 1-27-07
Princess - 'Golden Princess': Mexican Riviera 10-27-07
Princess - 'Crown Princess': Eastern Caribbean 10-26-08
Princess - 'Sapphire Princess': Mexican Riviera 10-31-09
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Eastern Caribbean 11-28-10
Holland America - 'Oosterdam': Mexican Riviera 1-29-11
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Southern Caribbean 11-28-11
Carnival - 'Destiny': Bahama Islands-Grand Turk 12-12-11
Princess - 'Grand Princess': 14 Days-Caribbean 11-24-12
Carnival - 'Magic':
Western Caribbean 2-3-13
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Eastern Caribbean 11-29-13
Princess - 'Caribbean Princess': Western Caribbean 4-26-14

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCleveland View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Sailing the Magic in a couple weeks and am definitely hoping this was just an off week for them. I will report back with our experience.

I hope it was an off week too! The staff was always happy and friendly. Had I to lay blame, it would be behind the scenes. The kitchen and room service could be run badly perhaps.

The dance show they do around 7pm is fun to watch and the food was as good as I remembered it being on the first cruise I took on the Magic.

Jesse

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerburn View Post
I hope it was an off week too! The staff was always happy and friendly. Had I to lay blame, it would be behind the scenes. The kitchen and room service could be run badly perhaps.

The dance show they do around 7pm is fun to watch and the food was as good as I remembered it being on the first cruise I took on the Magic.

Jesse
I have a great patience for waiting for food or things similar to that knowing that these great people are somehow managing to feed 4000+ people in a 3 hour period so I can definitely get over the wait time. But dirty dishes are one thing that are a no-go for me. Would definitely have to bring that to their attention.

Glad to hear the food is still just as good. We cruised RC this past summer and the food was no where near as good as we are used to on Carnival so I was hoping that this was still the case.
Carnival Fantasy - 6/24/2004
Carnival Dream - 7/24/2010
Carnival Inspiration - 7/16/2011
Allure Of the Seas - 7/12/2012
Carnival Magic - 2/3/2013
Carnival Valor - 8/25/2013
Carnival Legend - 3/2/2014

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Will be on the Magic next week. Hope they just had an off week.

Carnival Fantasy 1999 (Bahamas)
Celebration 2000
Carnival Destiny 2001
Carnival Triumph 2002
Carnival Spirit 2003 (Hawaii)
Voyager of the Seas 2003
Carnival Legend 2004
Carnival Elation 2005
Carnival Liberty 2006
Freedom of the Seas 2006
Carnival Liberty 2006 (Mediterranean)
Carnival Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2009
Carnival Freedom 2010
Oasis of the Seas 2010
Carnival Spirit 2011
Carnival Legend 2012
Carnival Pride 2012
Carnival Magic 2013
Vision of the Seas 2013
Carnival Pride 2013

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
My family and I just returned from our second Magic cruise in the two years she's been sailing out of Galveston. I knew the shows would be the same as would most everything else but service was definitely sub par.

We dine the Anytime option and regardless of the time and location, food just wasn't coming out of the kitchen smoothly at all last week. The wait staff were great as usual but waiting 15-20 minutes for an appetizer, then 30-45 for dinner and another 30-45 for dessert made for long dinners that seemed to take the entire evening.

Room service was no better. My daughter drinks milk for dinner and room service is the only spot to get it. Our calls were regularly ended with 'it will be an hour to an hour and a half for delivery'. Again the staff was great when they delivered, which is all it takes to make me happy.

Finally, and this one has to be experienced to be believed. My brother in law smelled one of the dry glasses at our dinner table before water arrived. The glasses all have a distinct fishy smell. It happened most every night. That and one dinner glass and one coffee cup had lipstick on separate nights. Wish I knew the brand. It would probably do well to paint the Carnival tail in that stuff.

Would this, in any way, stop me from sailing Carnival? Heck no! We all booked our next cruise while onboard for later this year. BUT, I won't sail the Magic again for a couple of years. My hope is that somebody with authority comes across this writing and can do something about it. In my experience, two years is usually enough time for staff/issues to turn over and correct themselves.

I could send an email to corporate, but again in my experience those emails seem to drop off the face of the digital world. I wouldn't be asking for anything anyhoo.

We still had a great time.
Jesse

January-14th sailing (Key West, Freeport, Nassau)
You should have just grabbed extra milks from the breakfast buffet and stuck them in your fridge.
CARNIVAL GLORY MARCH 2012
CARNIVAL DREAM OCT 2010
CARNIVAL LIBERTY OCT 2009
RCL LIBERTY OF THE SEAS DEC 2008

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Geegitz View Post
You should have just grabbed extra milks from the breakfast buffet and stuck them in your fridge.
in our fridge? hehehe we're poor folk who usually stay on deck 1 with a locked mini bar due to our curious 18mo daughter. Actually there's a reason we stay on deck 1 usually: exit and entry to ports of call.

Where most people are huddled at the Deck 0 elevators after a long day of spending at a port city, my family and I take 1 flight of stairs to our room. Getting off is just as easy since we don't have to watch elevator after elevator open its doors to reveal packed passengers.

Jesse

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
in our fridge? hehehe we're poor folk who usually stay on deck 1 with a locked mini bar due to our curious 18mo daughter. Actually there's a reason we stay on deck 1 usually: exit and entry to ports of call.

Where most people are huddled at the Deck 0 elevators after a long day of spending at a port city, my family and I take 1 flight of stairs to our room. Getting off is just as easy since we don't have to watch elevator after elevator open its doors to reveal packed passengers.

Jesse
You can have the minibar unlocked and emptied by your cabin steward for your use of whatever you'd like to have refrigerated.

Jimmy Geegitz was offering you a valid option, regardless of where your room is located on the ship.

Last edited by Ms Belvedere; January 21st, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the same sailing and we did Anytime Dining as well. About 7:45 to 8:00 PM each night for us and only once did we have to wait at the bar for our table to be ready. We got the same waiter each night and he was awesome. Geraldo or something like that, he is leaving the Magic in two weeks. Service only seemed slow on the first night that I can recall.

What I'm doing:
Carnival Magic- November 30, 2014 - Western Caribbean - Another 4J on the Lido - Going to Belize, Honduras and Cozumel!

What I've done:
Carnival Conquest - May 7, 2006 - Western Caribbean - First cruise and it's an AFT WRAP!!! Cabin 6452 Then GF now DW Birthday Cruise
Carnival Ecstasy - October 12, 2006 - Western Caribbean- inside cabin... "Is the sun up?" My Birthday Cruise
Carnival Miracle - November 19, 2010 - Southern Caribbean, Grand Turk, DENIED! Too windy to dock - Cabins 6323/6321... Thanksgiving Miracle Family Cruise - Favorite cruise so far!
Carnival Conquest- August 7, 2011 - Western Caribbean - Cabins 8449/8435... Charlie Hodge Halftime Show Comedy Conquest Cruise with the family
Carnival Triumph - April 5, 2012 - Western Caribbean - Cabin 7419 - 4-day to Cozumel, just me and the DW and made great new friends!
Carnival Magic - August 5, 2012 - Western Caribbean - Cabin 8469/8421 - Ernesto couldn't divert us! Diving was incredible!
Carnival Magic - January 13, 2013 - Eastern Caribbean - Lido Inside Cabin 10222 - Cheers! Program was a blast!
Carnival Magic- December 1, 2013 - Western Caribbean - - 4J Cabin 9201 - DW turned Platinum!!!

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Belvedere View Post
You can have the minibar unlocked and emptied by your cabin steward for your use of whatever you'd like to have refrigerated.

Jimmy Geegitz was offering you a valid option, regardless of where your room is located on the ship.

whaaaa . . . I know I am by no means a cruising expert but I hadn't even considered this. {{sigh}} We waited on room service and juggled keeping milk chilled for 7 days. Not the end of the world but still. Who doesn't want to see The Hunger Games and Mission Impossible dozens of times.

Seriously thank you for the tip.
Jesse

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well yes, you can empty your fridge. We asked but were told we had to do it and use one of the drawers to store their drinks and put them back at the end. We had no problem doing that, our room steward was terrific.

However if you are worried about a kid getting into the stuff you might need a drawer lock.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Jesse
I think they had milk on the buffet in the evening as well- atleast on Conquest. I am almost positive. Because after the first evening's dinner when it took about 15 LONG minutes to get milk at dinner, we started bringing our own.
Carnival Conquest 4/21/2013 (our first true inside room)
Celebrity Constellation 3/31/14 (Just DH and I)
Carnival Elation 10/13/14 (Short Family Cruise)

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM
10,000+ Club

An odor on a glass is caused by either a dirty towel used for drying or that it was not washed completely. Lipstick is just plain gross. I have had a glass of wine ruined by odor. Can't blame you for not liking that situation.

414 Days on the Sea and Counting

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on this sailing as well. The first 2 nights we went to dinner @ 6ish and the line was really long but moved quickly. Once we were seated however the service was sloooow. we waited 45 minutes after we finished our appetizers before we got our entrees. On monday nite, our waiter mentioned that the dining room was packed early on but empty at 8, so we started going to dinner @ 8 and the service was MUCH faster. The food was really good for the most part, the only thing I got that wasn't great was the mahi mahi on the last night was really dry but other than that, everything else was very good.
Splendour of the Sea 12/05/05
Splendour of the Sea 02/13/06
Carnival Conquest 12/03/06
Carnival Ecstasy 10/20/07
Voyager of the Sea 01/13/08
Norwegian Spirit 01/11/09
Carnival Triumph 04/10/10
Carnival Elation 12/23/10
Mariner of the Sea 11/11/11
Carnival Triumph 1/26/12
Norwegian Star 11/18/12
Carnival Magic 1/13/13
Norwegian Sun 09/09/13
Serenade of the Seas 12/12/13
Carnival Sunshine 2/2/14
Carnival Triumph 8/16/14
Navigator of the Seas 11/16/14
Norwegian Jewel 1/24/15
Norwegian Jade 12/5/15
Liberty of the Seas 4/17/16

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on the same cruise and had the late dining and like everyone said, the first night was kind of slow, but found out that they had a lot of new staff come on board, so they were having to learn the dining room (they had to have a map of where the tables were.) After the first night everything was served and we were out by about 9:15/9:30.

Magic 11/14
Navigator Of The Seas 5/14
Triumph 2/14
Triumph 9/13
Magic 1/13
Triumph 1/12
Conquest 1/08
Conquest 12/05
Ecstasy 11/04

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Milk is available in the MDR for dinner.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We were on the Magic for the 1st. sailing out of Galveston, my only complaint was the dining room. The service was the worst we have ever had on Carnival and the food was just so so. I placed the blame on it being a new ship in a new port with a LOT of new crew. I thought they would get the problems worked out in a few weeks. Maybe not. Hope they get it worked out before long. Overall we had a great cruise and the Magic is a beautiful ship.

Doug

Wichita Falls, Tex.
Celebration 11-28-97
Celebration 10-02-98
Enchanted Capri 7-23-99
Enchanted Capri 3-12-00
Celebration 11-11-00
Inspiration 9-09-01
Celebration 4-13-02
Rhapsody of the Seas 9-15-02
Splendour of the Seas 4-7-03
Elation 10-5-03
Rhapsody of the Seas 1-04-04
Elation 2-29-04
Norwegian Sea 9-18-04
Elation 2-6-05
Rhapsody of theSeas 2-26-06
Norwegian Dream 10-14-06
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-19-07
Carnival Conquest 3-2-08
Carnival Conquest 8-24-08
Carnival Conquest 8-30-09
Carnival Conquest 3-07-10
Carnival Conquest 11-14-10
Carnival Ecstasy 3-28-11
Carnival Magic 11-14-11
Carnival Triumph 2-04-12
Carnival Triumph 1-28-13
Carnival Triumph 2-2-13
Carnival Magic 10-06-13
Carribean Princess 3-29-14

Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had to go to the Lido buffet every night and ask for 3-4 cartons of milk for our little one. Even if I forgot to get it in time, crew was helpful even at the late-night aft buffet station. Pretty sure you probably know this by now after reading your posts in another thread.