Veendam Cabin Electrical Question

ryndam

Sailing on the Veendam next month. Been on the Rotterdam-class and Vista-class ships often, but it's been over 10 years since on the Veendam. Does anyone know how many electrical outlets are in the cabin? Both US-type plugs? And/or European type pin-plugs? All these battery-operated cameras, phones and I-pads must be recharged! Thanks much!

There is also an electrical outlet in the bathroom. Unfortunately, it's just about at ceiling level, off to the extreme side of the light fixture. It's meant for such things as a razor or rechargeable toothbrush.

The problem with trying to use it for a toothbrush is that being so high, the charger just hangs there, with no solid surface to be set on.

Of course, the problem with the outlet at all is that one needs to be tall enough to reach it. I expect the bathroom was designed by a former NBA player in a new life. :rolleyes:

But if you need it, and can reach it, it's there for you.

We just returned from the Veendam. It had been 14 years since we had been on that class and we had forgotten the electrical situation.

There is one box at the desk with one american and one european plug. NOTE: The TV is plugged into the american plug... so that means THERE IS NO AVAILABLE AMERICAN PLUG IN THE BED AREA. We had to unplug the TV at times to use the hairdryer or charge the camera.

I charged our phone and iPad using the bathroom plug in the light fixture. NOTE: The plug only operates/charges when the bathroom light is on. So we would leave the bathroom light on whle at dinner or at a movie. The cabin steward would enter the room to clean and would turn the light off and our electronics would not be fully charged when we returned.

It was a reminder how things have changed. When this ship was built, passengers didn't need to charge multiple phones, iPads, cameras, etc.

There is one box at the desk with one american and one european plug. NOTE: The TV is plugged into the american plug... so that means THERE IS NO AVAILABLE AMERICAN PLUG IN THE BED AREA. We had to unplug the TV at times to use the hairdryer or charge the camera.

That's unusual! I have never seen that, but I haven't been in all the cabin categories.

What category were you in?

I spend a lot of time in inside cabins, and my TV has always been up on a shelf above the desk, alongside the closet. It's had its own outlet separate and apart from the ones at the desk level.

NOTE: The TV is plugged into the american plug... so that means THERE IS NO AVAILABLE AMERICAN PLUG IN THE BED AREA.
That wasn't the case for the two times we were on the Veendam (FF and D cabins), most recently 2 years ago. Nor was it the case in cabins on the Ryndam, Statendam, or Maasdam. It sounds to me like you got a cabin needing repair of the TV power outlet.

I would have requested a power strip from the front desk.

We were in cabin M514 (main deck-- inside cabin for four).

Very strange. I am familiar with inside cabins, including insides on Main Deck, and have not run into that problem. Perhaps there was a problem with the usual TV outlet, and the TV was plugged in to the desk outlet until the regular one could be fixed???

Archived