South Panoramic with Beach

RUDIMAY1

South Panoramic with Beach - MT27

You will discover the South of the Island, enjoying time that you will spend at POINTE MARIN beach. Returning to your ship via the Atlantic coast, you will see nice landscape views.

This is the excursion we have booked for our January 2015 cruise.

I am trying to accomplish two things.

1) Has anybody taken the tour or know anything about it?

2) When we get back from our cruise I will review it here.

As you all know Martinique has very little about their excursions. Even though lately there has been some information posted on these boards about it. So I will try to fill the gaps a little bit. Thanks everybody.

. . . 2) When we get back from our cruise I will review it here. . .

That will be great. We are planning to take what's probably the same excursion through NCL.

There is so little information on Martinique it's hard to decide what to do.

We're especially interested in availability of chairs/lounges, shade (natural or umbrellas) and snorkeling.

Thanks. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Great site! Thanks!

I couldn't find the published date though so hopefully it's relatively current.

Our cruise isn't until next April so I'm hoping there'll be several reviews by others for their day on Martinique before we leave.

Edited by candydane

• 2 weeks later...

You will discover the South of the Island, enjoying time that you will spend at POINTE MARIN beach. Returning to your ship via the Atlantic coast, you will see nice landscape views.

This is the excursion we have booked for our January 2015 cruise.

I am trying to accomplish two things.

1) Has anybody taken the tour or know anything about it?

2) When we get back from our cruise I will review it here.

As you all know Martinique has very little about their excursions. Even though lately there has been some information posted on these boards about it. So I will try to fill the gaps a little bit. Thanks everybody.

Looks Like we will be joining you on this tour as I can't find anything else in Martinique.

Looks Like we will be joining you on this tour as I can't find anything else in Martinique.

It sounds like an enjoyable introduction to Martinique even though it is a group tour. First time on any island is always a mystery. Next time we will be pros.

It sounds like an enjoyable introduction to Martinique even though it is a group tour. First time on any island is always a mystery. Next time we will be pros.

That must mean I will have to come back to the Carribean in the future...........I like that idea:D:D

• 1 month later...

I took this tour last November. It was ok, but there was a LOT of driving on a bus. The time on the beach was in Saint Anne and was way too short for me. I didn't realize how big Martinique is. We saw a lot of banana and sugar cane fields and learned more than I ever care to know about banana farming. All-in-all, it was a good introduction to the island. Prices are high here and the infrastructure is much better than most Caribbean islands. We are headed to Martinique again in February of 2016. I think that we may take a snorkeling excursion or just take the $10 public ferry to the beach in Trois Islets. The ferry is very near the cruise dock.

I took this tour last November. It was ok, but there was a LOT of driving on a bus. The time on the beach was in Saint Anne and was way too short for me. I didn't realize how big Martinique is. We saw a lot of banana and sugar cane fields and learned more than I ever care to know about banana farming. All-in-all, it was a good introduction to the island. Prices are high here and the infrastructure is much better than most Caribbean islands. We are headed to Martinique again in February of 2016. I think that we may take a snorkeling excursion or just take the $10 public ferry to the beach in Trois Islets. The ferry is very near the cruise dock.

Thank you for this info. We are on NCL the beginning of Dec 2014 and have been trying to figure out what to do in Martinique. Its the only Port we haven't been to yet and there isn't a whole lot of information out there. Most of the sites I go on to look are also all in French! My Canadian background coupled with a little knowledge of French and google translate only go so far. Is there a town? Shopping? We kind of wanted a brief Island tour and then a beach with amenities. Any info you could give is greatly appreciated. I was going to book a similar excursion but after reading your review, I'm not sure I want to be stuck on a bus. We are definitely beach people. Just wanted to see some of the Island too since we have never been. Help please!!!!

Thank you for this info. We are on NCL the beginning of Dec 2014 and have been trying to figure out what to do in Martinique. Its the only Port we haven't been to yet and there isn't a whole lot of information out there. Most of the sites I go on to look are also all in French! My Canadian background coupled with a little knowledge of French and google translate only go so far. Is there a town? Shopping? We kind of wanted a brief Island tour and then a beach with amenities. Any info you could give is greatly appreciated. I was going to book a similar excursion but after reading your review, I'm not sure I want to be stuck on a bus. We are definitely beach people. Just wanted to see some of the Island too since we have never been. Help please!!!!

The excursion that we took was a RCL trip, but I imagine they are likely the same on other cruise lines since it was a local company. The ships dock in the downtown area. I think that a walking tour of the city may be what you are looking for? The town seems pretty walkable, although we did not walk around at all. There seemed to be plenty of shopping. There is also a fort that you can see from the pier.

The island is quite large and takes a long time to drive around. It is very beautiful with miles and miles of rolling field of bananas and sugar cane and quaint small towns. We drove so much though and I hate to be stuck in a bus for more than 2 hours total. I will do something else next time.

There is a ferry that takes you across the harbor to your choice of 2 towns/beaches. The next time we go to Martinique (February '16), I plan on taking this ferry to Pointe Martin and go to the beach there. The ferry costs €10 per person. I am not sure if that is return fare or one way.

Hope this helps!

Thanks khm1 for the info.

We don't want to be on a bus too long but we never went to Martinique so we just want to see the island on this trip. We will already have 5 beach days before this stop so my bald head should be nice and brown at this point.

Do you remember if one of the stops is at the Napoleans wife Josephine statue. Brother-in-law is a big Napoleon fan so a picture at the statue would delight him.

Any lunch stops or is that at St Annes beach? Is there a lot of interesting tourist sight stops?

Thanks.

Thanks khm1 for the info.

We don't want to be on a bus too long but we never went to Martinique so we just want to see the island on this trip. We will already have 5 beach days before this stop so my bald head should be nice and brown at this point.

Do you remember if one of the stops is at the Napoleans wife Josephine statue. Brother-in-law is a big Napoleon fan so a picture at the statue would delight him.

Any lunch stops or is that at St Annes beach? Is there a lot of interesting tourist sight stops?

Thanks.

We did not stop at Josephine's birthplace in Trois Islets. We bypassed that entire area. We stopped at a scenic overlook, continued to the beach at St. Anne and stayed about one hour. I did not see anywhere to buy food or drink on the beach. When we boarded the bus again, we were given a bottle of water. We then continued to drive through an area that was mostly used for agriculture. We stopped once along the road to have banana farming explained to us. We then continued back to the ship. I would have rather stopped at historical sights, but it was not a part of the tour that we took. If I had to do it again, I would take snacks as there was no food offered. We did not get back to the ship until about 2 and we were very hungry by then.

Now I am confused!!

This is a review from tripadvisor. Did you see any of the things described?? If not I might have to rethink my excursion.

“Beautiful”

Reviewed December 19, 2013 Near the Club Med in Martinique, La Pointe Marin has a beautiful beach with a lovely anchorage full of amazing, expensive yachts. There is an outdoor market with spices, local crafts and liquors made from local fruits. State of the art new marina with outdoor shopping mall on two levels. Great place to spend a few hours.

Visited December 2013

Now I am confused!!

This is a review from tripadvisor. Did you see any of the things described?? If not I might have to rethink my excursion.

“Beautiful”

Reviewed December 19, 2013 Near the Club Med in Martinique, La Pointe Marin has a beautiful beach with a lovely anchorage full of amazing, expensive yachts. There is an outdoor market with spices, local crafts and liquors made from local fruits. State of the art new marina with outdoor shopping mall on two levels. Great place to spend a few hours.

Visited December 2013

It is very confusing. There are many places with similar names on Martinique. Remember that it is much larger than some of the other Caribbean islands. Please see the map that I included. Go on google maps and search for pointe Marin. The red pin on this photo is where Google maps said it was. This is the same place that we went to the beach last year. The tour guide called it St. Anne's beach. I was there and I am still confused. I am pretty sure that you are asking about the same tour that I have described to you. If I were you, I would ask at the tour desk once you get on the ship.

aaafa4aa4b66cf1016494dfd82451246.jpg

Found some info on cc below that may help some of you as to where we are docked and what's in the area. We're going back in April of 2015, the last time we were there, 10 yrs. ago, we just walked into town, did some shopping and had lunch. Martinique is big as someone said, it's very pretty and has some beautiful beaches.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=22

• 2 months later...

Sorry I will not be reviewing or doing this excursion afterall. As our cruise is getting closer I read a lot af negative reviews of this excursion. Two of the reviews were on the RCCL excursion site pushed me to cancel. Hopefully others will review and keep this thread informative. It just seems like too much traffic on a vacation. The beach sounded nice until the bad toilet reviews. And we were still unsure about whether there was food available or not.

We will be there in late February on HAL. There are very few ship tours advertised and the bus tours, both to St. Pierre and St Anne's Beach talk about winding, bumpy roads. If you are susceptible to motion sickness, these may not be the tours for you.

We will wait until boarding the ship to inquire about more detail before booking anything.

The 2015 Fodors Caribbean guide says you can take ferries to some of the nearby beaches. Not sure how far it is from where the ship docks to to the ferry landing.

• 1 year later...

Read your post from 2014 on Martinique .

You said you were sailing again in February 2016 taking ferry to trios islets.

We are sailing also in February on the anthem. Been to Martinique and took ferry to point t bout, beach was not nice ,do not want to go back there sand was like concrete.

Any info you have would be appreciated.

Ty��

Edited by mrcnasto

Read your post from 2014 on Martinique .

You said you were sailing again in February 2016 taking ferry to trios islets.

We are sailing also in February on the anthem. Been to Martinique and took ferry to point t bout, beach was not nice ,do not want to go back there sand was like concrete.

Any info you have would be appreciated.

Ty��

We are going to try Anse Mitan. We will get there by ferry.