Review - July 28 Southbound following Authentic Alaska, Cruisetour... and Amtrak home

I guess mostly because I could. DW is OK for about one night' date=' plus she had a shower to attend. I'll fly if I must, but it is typically not enjoyable. Traveling long distance by train is uniquely relaxing and invigorating. Yeah, they are usually late, but so what, it just extends my vacation. We did it similarly last winter, but I took the train in both directions to/from Florida for a cruise. I got caught in that huge midwest blizzard Jan. 5 on the return.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. In July, we cruised the Pearl from Seattle. We took the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle and return after the cruise. Had bedroom accommodations paid with Amtrak Guest Rewards points. We avoid flying and take the train for our travels. For us, the train is part of the vacation, not just a means to get there.

To fishin' musician:

Great review and photos. We have been on a Seattle to Seattle cruise but your review showed us a lot about including an Alaska land tour as well as train trips. Alaska is back on our list.

Thanks !

Thank you for the great review and pictures. We sail on the Sun July 2015 Seward to Vancouver. One question - When you saw all the whales and dolphins from the ship, did the Captain announce it on the PA system or were you just lucky to spot them ?

Thank you for the great review and pictures. We sail on the Sun July 2015 Seward to Vancouver. One question - When you saw all the whales and dolphins from the ship, did the Captain announce it on the PA system or were you just lucky to spot them ?

There was no announcement. If you spend a fair amount of time viewing the beautiful passing scenery you will likely encounter them.

• 2 months later...

This is a terrific review, thank you so much! We are booked on the same Authentic Alaska cruisetour in July 2015, although in the reverse order (Northbound). This is our first trip to Alaska. Your pictures made me even more excited for our trip!

One question to the OP... how far ahead of time did you receive your itinerary for the land portion? I'd obviously like to know ahead of time where we are staying so I can do a little research about the area and make some dining reservations, which it looks like you did as well. Just wondering when you received this info and how detailed it was. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
This is a terrific review, thank you so much! We are booked on the same Authentic Alaska cruisetour in July 2015, although in the reverse order (Northbound). This is our first trip to Alaska. Your pictures made me even more excited for our trip!

One question to the OP... how far ahead of time did you receive your itinerary for the land portion? I'd obviously like to know ahead of time where we are staying so I can do a little research about the area and make some dining reservations, which it looks like you did as well. Just wondering when you received this info and how detailed it was. Thank you!

IMO, this is an area that could be improved. We initially received a generic itinerary listing the days and corresponding events/activities. We received daily itineraries with details and times from the tour director each day for the following day. It would have been nice to have the details and times a few weeks prior, but this did not impact our enjoyment.