Chikungunya Fever hits Martinique HARD!

wshaw859

For those who want more information regarding this epidemic, go to the St Martin threads. Travelers over 65 and those with heart disease, diabetes etc. need to plan travel accordingly. This disease can contribute to death in this risk group.

As of 21 February 2014, more than 5,900 suspected cases have been reported in the following locations:

Caribbean:

Saint Martin (FR): 1,780 suspect cases

Sint Maarten (NL): 65 confirmed cases

Saint Barthélemy: 350 suspect cases

Martinique: 3,030 suspect cases

Guadeloupe: 1,380 suspect cases

British Virgin Islands, Jost Van Dyke islands: 5 confirmed cases;

Dominica: 45 confirmed cases including one imported case

Anguilla: 5 confirmed cases including one imported case;

Island Aruba: one confirmed imported case

Saint Kitts & Nevis: one confirmed case

South America:

French Guiana: 7 confirmed/probable cases including 2 autochthonous cases and 5 imported cases.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the governments were covering up the facts. If that's THE case, the "real" death rates ARE much higher. I'm no psychic, but I'd cancel my trip with these types of facts.

The older folks and children should stay on the cruise ships where it's relatively safe compared to these jungle island environments where nasty mosquitos are viciously attacking tourists. The people saying everything is safe are probably industry shills working for the islands.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the governments were covering up the facts. If that's THE case, the "real" death rates ARE much higher. I'm no psychic, but I'd cancel my trip with these types of facts.

The older folks and children should stay on the cruise ships where it's relatively safe compared to these jungle island environments where nasty mosquitos are viciously attacking tourists. The people saying everything is safe are probably industry shills working for the islands.

govt not doing test now and only treat sick

so many sick to many for count same as on Martinique and Vir Island

Hmmm, looking at posting profiles, seems like we have some new CCers trying to scare tourists away from Martinique and some of the other ports.:confused:

Martinique is so un-friendly towards Americans they don't need a disease to keep me away lol.

• 4 months later...

Will check CDC o and other sites as noted, but aside from the comments back and forth can anyone who has been there recently give an update...?

do the cruiselines give any special alerts for this/other ports?

I am susceptible to mosquito bites despite use of deet so for me the facts are crucial..

Wow reading the initial thread I thought this was an attempt to raise awareness of the disease so that those going on their carribbean cruise could be safe and still enjoy their time in our wonderful islands but as others have since noted it actually looks like a couple of trolls scaremongering...

Lets look at some facts - It has been around since 1953 so it isn't new.

Symptoms of the malaria-like illness include fever, headache, chills, sensitivity to light, and rash, vomiting and severe joint pain, according to World Health Organization (WHO). Occasional cases of eye, neurological and heart complications have been reported, as well as gastrointestinal complaints, it adds. They usually begin three to seven days after infection occurs. The consequences include a long period of joint pains which may persist for years in some cases. Though the virus rarely leads to death, the problem is that there is currently no vaccine available. The treatment only aims at improving the symptoms.

In other words pretty much same symptoms and treatment of malaria, with only the very few having extreme reactions. The Pan American Health Organization says that about 165,000 cases have been either suspected or confirmed in the Caribbean since it was first documented in 2013-2014 with 14 death cases. Most of the cases have been detected in Dominican Republic, Guadalupe, Martinique and Haiti.

I also note that there have been cases documented in 6 US states now but I guess they don't count?!

Edited by IslandStar

What about the cases reported in x6 US states so far - perhaps the world should avoid the USA now too!

Maybe we should all just barricade ourselves in our homes?? Seriously...wear mosquito repellant, exercise good hand hygiene, and enjoy your vacation.

Maybe we should all just barricade ourselves in our homes?? Seriously...wear mosquito repellant, exercise good hand hygiene, and enjoy your vacation.

Just in case it wasn't clear my last post was sarcastic and directed to the original poster :cool: as I agree that visitors should just wear repellent and enjoy the Caribbean rather than scaremonger away from the islands

Oh good! Some more anti-French comments.

I do hope that all you people just stay away. I happen to love France, and the French, and the French islands.

Oh, but how DARE they not all speak English just for us! How DARE they not respond to emails written in English because, well, WE'RE AMURICANS, dang it! How DARE they not care about catering to American tourists and our American dollars?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Anyway, mosquitos love me. I always make sure I have "fresh" insect repellant with a high level of DEET. And read the instructions about how to use it combined with sunscreen. I do this even when there is no sky-is-falling panic about the latest mosquito-borne virus.