Passau restaurant status question

Ironcity

Greetings all... Does anyone in or around Passau know whether Zum Gruen Baum (Hollgasse 7) has reopened post flooding?

It's our favorite spot to eat, we'll be there in a few days via the Viking Bragi, but things don't look hopeful from the restaurant's website.

If not, any suggestions for a similar substitute?

Cheers!

Hello,

as websites are not always updated regularly, perhaps you could send an e-mail to the tourist information centre in Passau? Or phone them, they are used to tourists and English-speaking guests. :)

The web page is: http://english.passau.de/Home.aspx

Just navigate from there. And while writing this I can see a nice cruise on the webcam docking right in the foreground. :)

I like the quirky bistro café next to St. Peter's church, but it is not a typical restaurant.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

It has started snowing in the Middle Rhine valley!

Greetings all... Does anyone in or around Passau know whether Zum Gruen Baum (Hollgasse 7) has reopened post flooding?

It's our favorite spot to eat, we'll be there in a few days via the Viking Bragi, but things don't look hopeful from the restaurant's website.

If not, any suggestions for a similar substitute?

Cheers!

Cafe Stephen's Dom next to the beautiful St Stephen's Cathedral is cute and quirky too.

webpage

http://www.greindl-passau.de/cafestephansdom-index.php

Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187311-d2495996-Reviews-Cafe_Stephan_s_Dom-Passau_Bayerischer_Wald_Eastern_Bavaria_Bavaria.html

A second vote for this place. It is cute and reasonably priced. We were the only Americans there, surprising since it is right by the cathedral,but most people seemed to be locals.

Hello,

A second vote for this place. It is cute and reasonably priced. We were the only Americans there, surprising since it is right by the cathedral,but most people seemed to be locals.

Yes, Café Greindl, that's the place I meant. :D Had forgotten the name. :o

You go through a passageway to the Café, right there on the left is a shop fuuulll of chocolate. Irresistible!

The café has a lovely view as well as an unusual interior and is off the (English-speaking) beaten track.

notamermaid

46 F today.

Hello,

Yes, Café Greindl, that's the place I meant. Had forgotten the name.

You go through a passageway to the Café, right there on the left is a shop fuuulll of chocolate. Irresistible!

The café has a lovely view as well as an unusual interior and is off the (English-speaking) beaten track.

notamermaid

Here is a pic of the Cafe Stephen Dom located up stairs to the right of the Cathedral St Stephen

ry%3D400

Cathedral St Stephen and it's beautiful columns, ceilings and organ

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

other pic I took of the internet during the June 2013 floods and st Stephen was high enough it was ok I believe from the flood waters and so should this cafe.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions and information. We're About 3 days away from Passau and will check out all of the places you suggest.

Cheers!

Passau is a beautiful city filled with resilient people who all pulled together to recover from the June floods.

If you get a chance and are physically able, a walk across the bridge and up to the castle that overlooks the city is well worth the effort. Panoramic vistas from the castle built in 1499.

Have a great visit!

• 6 months later...