Great barrier reef

mkccltr

I have not been to Airlie Beach, but I have been to Port Douglas many times. The best snorkel boat out of PD is Wavelength--maximum of 30 passengers and it's a snorkel-only boat. If you are able to book on Wavelength, you will have an excellent day on the Reef.

Note that for some itineraries, it's not possible to take a non-ship sponsored snorkeling excursion out of PD. The boats generally leave around 8:30 am and don't get back until 4:30 or 5pm.

Edited by GradUT

Don't know about from Port Douglas but we did the GBR from Airlie beach and it is close to a 2.5 hour trip out to the reef and the same coming back , so you really need to go through your ships excursions to be on the safe side .

According to the Wavelength website, it is a 90 minute trip from PD to the Outer Reef. (That's also what I remember from my numerous trips with Wavelength.)

The Sailaway trip to the Low Isles, which I have also done and enjoyed, takes about 1 hour to get there. But they now offer an afternoon trip for adults only (1pm - 6:30 pm) if that would better suit your schedule.

Edited by GradUT

According to the Wavelength website, it is a 90 minute trip from PD to the Outer Reef. (That's also what I remember from my numerous trips with Wavelength.)

The Sailaway trip to the Low Isles, which I have also done and enjoyed, takes about 1 hour to get there. But they now offer an afternoon trip for adults only (1pm - 6:30 pm) if that would better suit your schedule.

When we did the Wavelength trip it was quite rough and windy, which is why it probably took longer than your trips. we still had good snorkelling though.

I thought the Low Isles trip was shorter but I could be wrong. It's so pleasant sitting up on the deck of Sailaway that I probably didn't notice the time passing.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info. I have checked both sites and I don't think I could go wrong with either. Decisions decisions

Are you on Princess 10/24 for 33 days I have been looking for snorkel trip also Stay in touch

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marcia,

Just came back from Wavelength GBR trip to Opal Reef, they have a new catamaran!!! took approx 1.5 hrs with 3 hours snorkelling at 3 different sights on Opal reef. It was on my bucket list...it was expensive but worth it.

Staff are really knowledgeable and helpful, it got a little bit rough be DH and I had taken Kwells before going out and took them again before coming in and had no problems and they constantly remind you and provide tablets on board.

Food was reasonable, the experience priceless! (make sure you take an underwater camera, even if disposable):)