1st time in Interior Cabim

I have never had an interior cabin before. Me, my wife and two kids usually have an ocean view but this year we couldn't afford it so we went with Lido Deck interior.

Folks who have had interior cabin before, how was it? I have this mental block because of no sunlight.

I've been on 3 cruises and always book an interior room. My view is that I am only in the room for as long as it takes to shower and sleep so why pay extra? Obviously others have their own preferences and since I have never gone the other routes I don't know what I'm missing :)

I'll echo Shof's post, bring some sort of night light and a clock. First time was a bit of an adjustment because it leaves you a bit disoriented due to no light coming in.

We had one once in 1981 and that was the last time.

We had a clock and woke up and thought it was 1am so we went back to sleep. Turns out it was 1pm. We ended up missing Nassau.

We found we only were in the cabin to shower and sleep because it was so claustrophobic. Now, if we can't get a balcony or a suite we pass on the cruise, even if they are giving them away.

Edited by DebJ14

I also have done interior cabins, and have booked one again for 2016. I don't spend that much time in the room, am only there to sleep, wash, change etc.

I prefer to book the interiors and spend my money on other things like drinks and excursions. I have always had a good sleep in them too.

Interiors are fine, just bring some of those LED tea lights and set them on the counter in the bathroom. That will be just enough light to navigate the bathroom at night, but doesn't make it too bright. There is nowhere to plug a night light in if you want it in the bathroom. I bought a bag of 20, came with extra batteries, at Big Lots for $6, and they worked great.

We almost always book an interior cabin. We are only in it to change, shower, and sleep. A night light is not necessary; just leave the bathroom light on and close the door. There is a gap at the bottom that puts out enough light. My wife is claustrophobic and this is good for her. I use my cell phone for an alarm; but you can also do a wake-up call with the phone.

We had only cruised with balconies due to me being claustrophobic until this past February. We wanted to do a last minute cruise, and the only thing we could afford was an interior. I went into it with a lot of anxiety but was shocked when we opened the door to the cabin. It was a little smaller than a balcony, but not much, and I felt like I had more than enough room. I slept great (no natural light made it soooo easy to sleep!) and I even booked an interior for a girls' cruise next May!

Given the choice, if price isn't a problem for me, I will book at least an oceanview so I feel more "connected" with the sea, but interiors will also be considered. They aren't as bad as I once thought!

I book balconies as a couple and interiors as a solo. I like the extra space that a balcony gives, one person can be meditating on the waves as the other snoozes inside for example.

As a solo, I'll be in the cabin off and on during sea days. I use the room telephone as an alarm, and usually have a small flashlight on the night table. I can always get the time from the telephone or the TV, and I haven't mistaken AM for PM since I stopped drinking over 30 yrs ago.

If there are 4 people in an inside, that will present challenges for dressing and showering. One suggestion I've repeatedly heard on these boards was that the guys can use the gym or spa showers while the ladies get ready in the cabin.

Edited by evandbob

I have never had an interior cabin before. Me, my wife and two kids usually have an ocean view but this year we couldn't afford it so we went with Lido Deck interior.

Folks who have had interior cabin before, how was it? I have this mental block because of no sunlight.

Though we've never booked an inside cabin, I've read that people turned the TV to the bridge cam channel at bedtime. As the sun rose, the cabin wasn't as dark and they knew it was morning.

We always travel 4 in an interior and have no issues. I use the time the girls are getting ready for a little rest time. Works out great. However we do have a balcony on the panorama deck for our upcoming cruise on the Conquest in July

They are tiny or 4 people. I can go with anything usually, but I think it would get to me.

How much diference between an inside on lido and the cheapest ocean view. I can't believe it would be that much.

Disclaimer, I have never stayed in an inside but I have looked in in the morning on the way to breakfast. Two people, I would probably be fine, 4 not happening.

Lido interior....the best. You're close to everything....it's dark (great for sleep for those with sleep issues).

I've had OV...and all you see is water (if it were pretty scenery, maybe I'd feel different). I've had balcony....and forced myself to use it (maybe for more than 2 people it would give you breathing space).

As others have said...if you need light...but on the webcam.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Lido interior....the best. You're close to everything....it's dark (great for sleep for those with sleep issues).

I've had OV...and all you see is water (if it were pretty scenery, maybe I'd feel different). I've had balcony....and forced myself to use it (maybe for more than 2 people it would give you breathing space).

As others have said...if you need light...but on the webcam.

My thoughts exactly. We sleep very well in interior cabins. We like to be out & about so if we paid for a balcony we'd HAVE TO find time to use it.

This is my first interior room in 15 years since my son has asthma. Now he has outgrown it and i wonder if someone can answer my question.

On an interior room is the air recirculated air?

We always had a balcony and open the door before going to bed for fresh air and had no problems but now i am worried if it is recirculated on the inside room

Slept SO well in an inside, but when I woke up it was hard to discern if it was morning, middle of the night or when.....and trying to find glasses, flashlight etc in a sleepy groggy state didn't go so well....:p

My clock/radio at home has a display that shines on the ceiling - which I am going to pack next time :)

I am sure you will be fine.

You understand the choice. Have a great cruise with the family or do something else.

You will either find that it's not so bad and you can use the money you save to do other things, or you will realize how important the ocean view is to you and you can vow never to do an inside again. You will never know if you don't try. So look at this as an opportunity.

Have a great cruise

How was it? It stunk! It's SUPPOSE TO stink...you get what you pay for- 4 walls, a bed & tiny bathroom...no sun, no salt air & wind at your face ( a biggie for me), no seeing the waves, the islands, the dolphins swim up next to the ship, no nothing...people say, they are not in their cabin much- that's because you have a crappy cabin! I HATED going back to my 122 SF broom closet...NEVER again..we tried a balcony on Princess in 2000, and 30 cruises later, it's always a balcony, or better if I can swing it..if we can't afford it, we don't cruise....

The kind of cabin you choose often determines how much time and how much enjoyment you will spend and have in your cabin…A balcony cabin can make you feel connected to the ocean…an inside cabin makes you feel connected to 4 walls. Again, I re-iterate: A balcony cabin makes you feel connected to the ocean and makes you FEEL like you’re on a cruise!! Would you book a hotel room without a window?? What’s the point of being on a ship if you can’t see the sea passing your stateroom? At this very moment, there is some poor couple trapped in a stateroom they hate, fighting over who’s to blame for this God-awful dark, windowless, claustrophobic nightmare resembling a broom closet- when they could’ve been sipping a cold beverage on their private balcony looking at the beautiful sea, watching the birds,other cruise ships go by, islands,and most of all, smelling, hearing,and watching the waves and the wonderful salty mist the sea has, perhaps dozing off to the sounds of the waves……even at night it is majestic,and tranquilizing with the stars out and a certain calmness the sea has in the Caribbean. I am out on my verandah every morning ,afternoon and night!! One of the most romantic things you can do is have breakfast delivered to your cabin and eating it on your balcony …this is best on a sea day, rather than a day in port (I find and most agree)..it is included in your price- just give the attendant a tip (cash is always preferred) for their service..they will bring it out right on the balcony for you, too…..there is not much romance in an inside cabin. Once you have cruised in a balcony,it’s hard to do anything other unless you upgrade to a suite,of course. My wife & I work hard & deserve a nice vacation- just as I wouldn't go to a beach resort & ask for the worst room & with the worst view, I will leave you with what my 10 year old niece once said after seeing our balcony cabin & standing out on the balcony looking at the Caribbean sea , then going into her cabin and saying," this is so dark & boring compared to yours"..."yours is suppose to be dark & boring, you wanted cheap, you got it"...That is MHO..remember, next time you book an inside cabin, also consider asking for a hotel room without a window- you find too many because that would considered crazy wouldn't it?

Edited by big al
spelling

Had plenty of balconies, never did see one dolphin or much of anything. Oh there was a hummingbird once. Other ships, wow! I can see them on deck too or wait until we pull into the next port. Continental Breakfast delivered to my balcony (remember not hot stuff on Carnival)? Not romantic. Especially since we don't eat breakfast. I don't need a balcony or window to know I'm on a cruise. The orange decor and light on the outside of the bathroom remind me of that.

As far a being a crappy room, they are my favorite. I get the best nights sleep in the total dark. I say this as I am wide awake earlier than I want to be on my day off because the sun has been poking through my 5 windows in my bedroom since 6AM even with blackout curtains! Guess what? Never do I sit and look out my bedroom windows. In fact I would be thrilled if it didn't have any!

A hotel is a temporary stay usually for one night. Oftentimes there's really nothing to see outside depending where you stay at anyway. I don't stare out those windows except if I stay by the port and have a good view, but more times than not we're by the airport. Hotel rooms aren't important to me.

I feel like I'm on a cruise and connected with the sea from the time I step on the ship until I hear the last ding of my S&S card. There is so much to do. Get out of your room and experience it. I don't need to pay twice as much not to have a "crappy" room as you say. I love my insides. They are perfect. And I get to truly be connected with the sea more at least twice a year as opposed to just once. Get me on the ship and I will have a fabulous time no matter where I sleep. I have ocean breezes and air all around me.

Sounds like you should stick to Princess and your balconies. The rest of us third class citizens will have a WONDERFUL time in Steerage. Remember the movie "Titanic"? I would rather party and hang out with those people than be stuck up top "connected to the sea" with the likes of the Snobs.

What people like is up to them. To insist that all inside rooms are horrible and the people that can't (or don't want to afford) a balcony will be miserable is simply not true. It may be for you, but not for probably the other 99% of people that travel in them.

I set plenty of sea, sun, and fun as soon as wake up, get dressed, and start my day. You do realize they let us steerage people out on deck just like the people who paid two to three times more than I did, right? SMH.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I prefer either a balcony or interior? Why? Love a balcony, but if it's not affordable as a solo traveller, I prefer to sleep in! That little crack of sunlight from an OV is enough to wake me up! On a balcony, the balcony space compensates for the early wake up....

Had plenty of balconies, never did see one dolphin or much of anything. Oh there was a hummingbird once. Other ships, wow! I can see them on deck too or wait until we pull into the next port. Continental Breakfast delivered to my balcony (remember not hot stuff on Carnival)? Not romantic. Especially since we don't eat breakfast. I don't need a balcony or window to know I'm on a cruise. The orange decor and light on the outside of the bathroom remind me of that.

As far a being a crappy room, they are my favorite. I get the best nights sleep in the total dark. I say this as I am wide awake earlier than I want to be on my day off because the sun has been poking through my 5 windows in my bedroom since 6AM even with blackout curtains! Guess what? Never do I sit and look out my bedroom windows. In fact I would be thrilled if it didn't have any!

A hotel is a temporary stay usually for one night. Oftentimes there's really nothing to see outside depending where you stay at anyway. I don't stare out those windows except if I stay by the port and have a good view, but more times than not we're by the airport. Hotel rooms aren't important to me.

I feel like I'm on a cruise and connected with the sea from the time I step on the ship until I hear the last ding of my S&S card. There is so much to do. Get out of your room and experience it. I don't need to pay twice as much not to have a "crappy" room as you say. I love my insides. They are perfect. And I get to truly be connected with the sea more at least twice a year as opposed to just once. Get me on the ship and I will have a fabulous time no matter where I sleep. I have ocean breezes and air all around me.

Sounds like you should stick to Princess and your balconies. The rest of us third class citizens will have a WONDERFUL time in Steerage. Remember the movie "Titanic"? I would rather party and hang out with those people than be stuck up top "connected to the sea" with the likes of the Snobs.

What people like is up to them. To insist that all inside rooms are horrible and the people that can't (or don't want to afford) a balcony will be miserable is simply not true. It may be for you, but not for probably the other 99% of people that travel in them.

I set plenty of sea, sun, and fun as soon as wake up, get dressed, and start my day. You do realize they let us steerage people out on deck just like the people who paid two to three times more than I did, right? SMH.

Bob's Wife... THANK YOU.... Very well said!!!!

I have done 2 cruises, the first a 14 night with a balcony. It was lovely.

The second a 3 night mini cruise with an interior that overlooked the shopping mall.

I was happy in both rooms. However, the only drawback of not having an outside view is not knowing what the weather is going to be like when you do venture out. If you live in England you will know that it can be baking hot one day and overcast and stormy the next. Our solution was sticking on the tv to the webcam channel.

Oh, and no alarm clock here, we used room service to bring us a nice cup of tea when it was time to get up!

We have only done 2 cruises. The first was an OV, the second interior. It was 8 nights, and we really missed having a window. Next cruise coming up, we are back to an OV. I've enjoyed reading the opinions here. It's a personal decision; to each his own.