Southwest Airlines

mamaboss

Does anyone know when Southwest will open their schedule for March 2014? They have just started service in our area so not at all familiar with them. Seems they have much cheaper flights than delta whom we normally use.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Does anyone know when Southwest will open their schedule for March 2014? They have just started service in our area so not at all familiar with them. Seems they have much cheaper flights than delta whom we normally use.

Southwest is planning to open flights to March 7, 2014 on July 22. They will probably have the next opening a month or two later, but you should know for sure on July 22.

Thank you Bob! I need to book March 7-16. Delta had a bit of a price drop this week so am anxious to see which one works for me. Hate to miss out on the price drop on Delta but same days in Feb on Southwest is 300.00 less per person! Are you familiar with Southwest? Are the flights usually on time?

Southwest flights are generally on time. The last one I took was 30 min late. But the good thing is they have flights pretty frequently. The bad thing is they don't have agreements with other airlines so they cannot move you to another carrier if their flight is cancelled. No charge for your first checked bag. Fly in at least one day earlier or make sure there are multiple flights you can catch if your flight is cancelled.

Thanks Baseball. Never experienced a cancelled flight. Hope I never do! :eek: guess I will try to find out how often that happens with Southwest. Yes, I am nervous booking the "unknown". Lol Flights are so much less that I am willing to give it a go.

Southwest flights are generally on time. The last one I took was 30 min late. But the good thing is they have flights pretty frequently. The bad thing is they don't have agreements with other airlines so they cannot move you to another carrier if their flight is cancelled. No charge for your first checked bag. Fly in at least one day earlier or make sure there are multiple flights you can catch if your flight is cancelled.

No charge for first 2 checked bags!:)

So is it fact that unless you pay extra you cannot choose your seats? I travel with my 88 yr old mom and would prefer to sit next to her. Any tips on how to make that happen? Is it first customers to check in get to be in the first group to board or something else?

I only fly southwest unless they don't fly where I am going. If your flight goes down after you book you can go to change flight and choose the same flight and get a credit. I have done that numerous time. Good luck!!!

So is it fact that unless you pay extra you cannot choose your seats? I travel with my 88 yr old mom and would prefer to sit next to her. Any tips on how to make that happen? Is it first customers to check in get to be in the first group to board or something else?

You cannot choose seats at all on Southwest. However, you have some degree of control as to your boarding order.

You can purchase Early Bird check-in which can help move you up in line. You can also purchase Business fares, which usually result in you being the first 15 people to board.

However in your case, I'd ask the boarding agent for a blue sleeve for your mom. This is free. This will allow her to board before anyone else. I've done it before for my mid-80's parents.

If you have never flown southwest, give it a try. The people that work there are pretty happy. They have never stroked, even when our of contract. They are "no frills" but they do not "fee" you to death. You don't have to pay for bags! I like them. Yes, you do not get an assigned seat. Check in online 24 hours before hand and print your boarding ticket. If you check in online 24 hours before take off, you should get a pretty good boarding number.

However in your case, I'd ask the boarding agent for a blue sleeve for your mom. This is free. This will allow her to board before anyone else. I've done it before for my mid-80's parents.

Would our party of 3 be able to board with her?

Thank you Bob! I need to book March 7-16. Delta had a bit of a price drop this week so am anxious to see which one works for me. Hate to miss out on the price drop on Delta but same days in Feb on Southwest is 300.00 less per person! Are you familiar with Southwest? Are the flights usually on time?

I think you are going to like Southwest. They do things their own way but it is a way that works pretty well for me. I am near their hub (Baltimore BWI) and you will find that they do tend to bring competition to an area -- sometimes Delta will have to lower price or schedule something better to fill plane with SWA in the game.

Some tips for you. If you are 65 plus then you buy senior fare -- better if you ever need to cancel but the price is usually the same. Don't buy business class -- that is usually for business people who need a seat at the last minute and costs more for the same seat comfort. Do buy Early Bird -- I think it is worth it to get on the plane earlier and get the seat you want and the bin space for your bag. Speaking of boarding -- when you check in or with early bird ($12.50 the airline checks you in) you are given a number to board. A 1-15 is business then A 16-30 on one side of the poles in the lineup area. A 31 -60 is on the other side of the pole. After A group is called families can board if not holding A number. B 1-30 lines up on the correct side of the pole and B 31 to 60 on the other side and follows onto the plane and then C 1-30 followed by C 31 -60. Sounds a little crazy but most of the passengers have done it often and are good about letting you in at your spot. I usually have an A number (I pay Early Bird) and I enter the plane and head to about 2/3 of the way back to aisle seat and hubby is across from me in the aisle seat. (:p don't look people in the eye and just maybe they will not fill both the middle and window seats!) Bring food if it is a food eating time. You will be offered a small drink and maybe pretzels but otherwise you go hungry. No entertainment so bring your own. Magazine OK. New plane that we had on last 2 flights (to Las Vegas) was very comfortable and leather seats were great.

Don't be afraid of Southwest. Try it and find that with the savings that it can provide you can fly easier. If you would rather pay for your bags and have an assigned seat, book on the Air Tran web site. (Air Tran and Southwest are merged now but do have different schedules and flights)

Sign up for Southwest specials "Dings" as those are the really awesome prices but usually the almost awesome "wanna get away" fares are steadily good.

Probably will see you in the boarding line. I'm the one with some extra dollars in my pocket.

No they don't have arrangements with other airlines but they don't have change fees and the ticket can be used at another time within a year period. Once or twice I cancelled my flight and grabbed a walkup seat on another airline and got home before the storm. Unfortunately in US today if flights are cancelled or delayed it dominoes and all airlines have a problem and you are stuck. No seats on the other lines because they almost run full. My experiences might be a little different in that we are a main hub and my Maryland taxes bought a huge terminal wing just for the many flights of Southwest and there are many many flights.

Pre-boarders, which "blue sleeve" gets you, may bring one companion with them when they board. So no, a party of three may send one along, with the other two following based on their boarding number.

If you decide to preboard your mother, you might purchase Early Bird Checkin for the other members of your party ... Southwest will check them in 36 hours before departure. That's a really good option for the return flight, as you won't need to purchase shpboard internet to check in at the 24 hour point to get a good boarding position. Early Bird is $12.50/person.

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about SW and will wait for the March schedule to come out before I book anything. If I understand correctly:

1. On the flight down I would not purchase EB because mum and I will board in

the A group because she uses a wheelchair. My brother and his wife should

Purchase EB if they want a good chance to sit together otherwise just check in

24 hours prior to flight.

2. I should check us in 24 hours prior to flight but go to the gate and get blue

Arm band for mum.

3. I should buy EB for all of us on return so I do not have to battle ship Internet

If I don't want to. (Was a nightmare last year)

4. When I book I should make sure to book mum a senior fare if same price as

Ours.

The next schedule to come out goes to March 7 only. That is the day we leave and we want to return on March 16. Should I go ahead and book the flight down for March 7 or wait till both segments are available? Anyone ever do this?

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about SW and will wait for the March schedule to come out before I book anything. If I understand correctly:

2. I should check us in 24 hours prior to flight but go to the gate and get blue

Arm band for mum.

3. I should buy EB for all of us on return so I do not have to battle ship Internet

4. When I book I should make sure to book mum a senior fare if same price as

Ours.

The next schedule to come out goes to March 7 only. That is the day we leave and we want to return on March 16. Should I go ahead and book the flight down for March 7 or wait till both segments are available? Anyone ever do this?

Southwest does not give any price breaks for for purchasing round-trip tickets. So you can purchase your March 7 tickets now if you like, makes no difference. The March 16 flights should be available to book Monday.

If I understand correctly:

Not quite.

If Mom is in a wheelchair she, and one companion, will board before the A-group. She, and one companion, won't need the EB on the return flight, either, as it doesn't matter what her boarding number is; she pre-boards before the A-group as she's in a wheelchair.

She could be C-60 and still be first to board the plane. Save a couple of bucks on two of you.

Southwest does not give any price breaks for for purchasing round-trip tickets. So you can purchase your March 7 tickets now if you like, makes no difference. The March 16 flights should be available to book Monday.

Bob, March 7th will be available Monday, March 16th won't be until the next release of dates.

We are currently accepting air reservations through February 12, 2014. On July 22, 2013, we will open our schedule for sale through March 7, 2014. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

...The next schedule to come out goes to March 7 only. That is the day we leave and we want to return on March 16. Should I go ahead and book the flight down for March 7 or wait till both segments are available? Anyone ever do this?

If the fare for the outbound flight is good, I would book that now. If the price drops on that flight, you can change your reservation to the lower fare, and the resulting credit will be available for you to use toward your return flight. Southwest does not charge a change fee. The credit must be used within 1 year of the original purchase.

Bob, March 7th will be available Monday, March 16th won't be until the next release of dates.

We are currently accepting air reservations through February 12, 2014. On July 22, 2013, we will open our schedule for sale through March 7, 2014. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Sorry, my bad.:o Thanks for the catch!

Not quite.

If Mom is in a wheelchair she, and one companion, will board before the A-group. She, and one companion, won't need the EB on the return flight, either, as it doesn't matter what her boarding number is; she pre-boards before the A-group as she's in a wheelchair.

She could be C-60 and still be first to board the plane. Save a couple of bucks on two of you.

Thank you Ruth, I was not thinking of that! So I would just check in online if I am able from the ship? All four of us get free Internet minutes so if not to busy I could check everyone in.

Mom uses a transport chair on the cruise for port excursions that folds down. Does anyone know if they will tag it at the gate to store on the plane as the other airlines do? Again, thank you all for your help!:)

Our spring break week is March 17th. I am anxious to see what southwest flights are since delta is about $800per person out of Minneapolis.

Anyone have an idea when they release the next schedule?

The website says the next schedule release is August 26.

Archived