Family "home-made" scavenger hunt

SunnydayKim

Since my son is too young to do the Camp Carnival scavenger hunt and he loves them, I decided to make our own for our upcoming Glory cruise next week. Just in case anyone is thinking of doing this with their younger ones (DS is 3) I thought I would share what I have come up with from looking at pictures and asking about odd things on the Glory in the Carnival Forum. I may still be tweaking, any suggestions- accepted! (I may split this up into two different scavenger hunts- one on each sea day). I will let you know when we return how it goes! :)

- Kim

A ball & a club. Know where that is? Find someone playing and snap your picture!

Have you seen a whale? Maybe it's tail? Find it and get a picture with this stack- need a hint: look back!

A boat with a sail, have you seen one you adore? Take a picture with one or more.

Sail. Ship. Sun. What do these words start with? Find a Carnival team member whose name has an S in it and take a picture with them!

Find Peacock feathers & take your picture with them. (Here is a hint- Ready to Jive in the blue bar? Head to floor five, not very far.)

Red, yellow, blue, green, orange. What is your favorite color? These couches certainly can't decide. Sit and take a picture on one of these comfy couches inside.

Looking for some money? Look up in the place you want to play, colorful money needs it's picture taken today!

Want to read a book? Head to deck 4 to pick a story on the Glory!

They have long trunks, big ears and one named Dumbo can fly! Take a picture next to this large animal. Here is a hint: Look for the Ivory Club on deck 4.

Head down one floor for bit of a breeze and fresh air. Find a bench outside with these letters on it- G-L-O-R-Y. What does that spell?

What is glass and let's you ride up to the top? Find the bottom and take up to the 5th floor for a treat at the Candy Store!

I did that for my kids on the Glory in 2012. They were 9 and 11 with cousins 10 and 16. I copied other peoples pictures of different things/places/art around the ship and sent them off in a small pack together to find all the things - good for about an hour! They loved it!

To keep my DD more engaged in sightseeing, I would put together a list of items to "find" during the day.

The number of items varied based upon her age. Some of the items would be tailored to the city we were visiting, some would be more "generic" in nature. When she was a pre-reader / early reader, I would include some basic drawings to accompany the words on the list.

So Venice might have had the following list:

_ Statue of winged lion

_ a basket ball

_ Gondola

_ Orange purse

_ Red baseball cap

_ carnival mask

_ Canadian flag

_ Someone wearing an article of clothing from a Wisconsin team

etc.

All she'd need to do is say she saw it at the time she saw it and explain where (we'd try to avoid pointing - particularly at people :)). She was a pretty good kid, so we believed her if she said she saw someone "with a Bucky shirt by the church" even if we had not actually seen it.

If she checked everything off the list on one day, we'd have some sort of treat the next day.

We've also done treasure hunts on-board with maps and clues (including ones when I would "run on ahead" to hide the next clue - or to enlist a bartender to hold a clue). Those took a lot more work, but were supremely fun for the whole family.