Are there any nice family beaches near the port?

jlk806

We will be in San Juan off the Disney Fantasy at the beginning of December. We would like to walk over to the forts while there but would also like to visit a beach, but the cruiseline is only offering whole-day excursions that would cost $300 for the 3 of us. Don't care about including food, we just want to stay near the port and hang out at a nice beach and swim for a couple hours. Any advice?

We were on a cruise last year and flew into San Juan a day earlier and stayed at a hotel in Isla Verde and the beach there was really nice. We took a cab from the hotel the next day to board the ship and the ride was about 20 minutes. I forget the cost of the cab, but it was definitely reasonable and a lot less than $300.00. I know there are chair rentals somewhere but I'm not sure what section that is. We used the chairs/umbrellas at the hotel.

If you're interested, hopefully someone else can add more detailed info. about cost of cab and also chair/umbrella rentals.

There are closer beaches in the Condado area.

But, really, there is so much to see in OSJ that I wouldn't consider San Juan a beach stop at all. It's an historic, interesting, working city with lots to see. Usually, other islands that are visited during the cruise can provide your beach time more easily.

The ship excursion is going to be expensive (because they always are), and you probably have to purchase a day pass from one of the beachfront hotels. Note that the surf in San Juan is often very rough.

You don't even have to walk (uphill) to either fort. There's a free trolley. Lots of info about walking tours and the trolley on this board already.