Booking Shore Excursions Through NCL

surran12

How far out are shore excursions usually available to be booked?

I'm cruising on the Pride of America in January 2013 and they're available now and I booked them a couple of months ago. So I would say around 10 to 12 months out.

How far out are shore excursions usually available to be booked?

They are usually available as soon as you book. However, too far out means that if a contract expires with a tour group, you may end up losing it. Ive seen them appear and disappear. Some say "not available at this time". On the other hand, they may gain new contracts and new excursions!

If you see a better one, you can always cancel and book another one thru your cruise consultant. Theyll just swap your money and put it towards the new one.

One thing to take note of tho, booking ahead on NCL means you also pay ahead. If you book on the ship, it gets put on your final bill.

We're cruising W Carib. this Nov and still show 0 shore excurions availabe to book. Same with others sailing with us. I'd like to know also, when we will be able to book. I've always been able to book this far out on previous cruises.

You can always ask your cruise consultant for email you the list of excursions. Quite often there are more available than are listed on the site. I dont know why that is, but its one of the reasons we will usually wait to book on the ship.

Anywho, your CC can book them for you even if the site isnt working. :)

I emailed my pcc over two weeks ago about the problem and she never responded. I guess I'll have to call the main ncl lines this weekend and see what goes.

When you call, you can ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them you didnt get any responses. That way you wont get stuck with the same CC not helping you.

One thing Ive found, thru the emailing of my CC is that if I dont include my membership number on the email, they are less likely to respond. Ive gotten much more helpful responses when I include my number. On the emails that I didnt include it, I got either no reply at all or one word answers.

Its a thing that makes you go hmmmm.. :confused:

So now, on every email Ill copy and paste my account info (membership number, cruise booking number, name, etc..) so theres nothing missing :p

I had this same question. I'm cruising in Jan 2013 and don't see the option to complete online check-in. Perhaps I need to complete the online check-in first?

I want to complete the online check-in, however, will there be any issues with adding a passenger to the reservation later if I do?

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant. We'll be adding our 6 month old to the reservation after he is born. Because we don't yet know his name or date of birth, we didn't add him yet. The travel agent said it wouldn't be an issue as long as the ship wasn't full. We'll add him in July and I don't think it would be fully booked by then.

Thanks for your help.

I had this same question. I'm cruising in Jan 2013 and don't see the option to complete online check-in. Perhaps I need to complete the online check-in first?

I want to complete the online check-in, however, will there be any issues with adding a passenger to the reservation later if I do?

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant. We'll be adding our 6 month old to the reservation after he is born. Because we don't yet know his name or date of birth, we didn't add him yet. The travel agent said it wouldn't be an issue as long as the ship wasn't full. We'll add him in July and I don't think it would be fully booked by then.

Thanks for your help.

Even if your room sleeps 3, you may not be able to add him based on occupancy. Your TA said "as long as the ship wasn't full". What if it is? Then what?? I would call NCL to see how to add him without knowing his name and then changing his name once he's born :)

The travel agent did explain that it's the overall ship occupancy and not a guarantee that it won't be filled even if we have occupancy left in our room.

NCL won't let you use a future date of birth (i.e. estimated due date). I could make up a name and date of birth, and then change it completely. Since I figured the risk was low that it would be 100% full in July for a Jan. sailing, I figured I'd just wait and do it once I had legitimate information.

There seem to be quite a few rooms left in every category that I check (I have been booking rooms for a few other family members, filling up that darn occupancy :D) If it were a popular time for families to cruise, i.e. spring break week, I'd probably be more concerned. (But if I'm missing something, CCers, and these ships fill up that early - let me know and I will try to get creative!)

Thanks for the info on the shore excursions, I will try to see what's going on with that. I thought perhaps they wouldn't open up until 180 days in advance or something in that range.

One thing to take note of tho, booking ahead on NCL means you also pay ahead. If you book on the ship, it gets put on your final bill.

Is this new? I always pre-book and it all ends up on our final onboard bill. :confused:

Thanks Joyce

The travel agent did explain that it's the overall ship occupancy and not a guarantee that it won't be filled even if we have occupancy left in our room.

NCL won't let you use a future date of birth (i.e. estimated due date). I could make up a name and date of birth, and then change it completely. Since I figured the risk was low that it would be 100% full in July for a Jan. sailing, I figured I'd just wait and do it once I had legitimate information.

From the NCL FAQ Site:

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#children-cruise-free

Do children cruise for free?

Cruise fare for children under two is government taxes and port fees only. Certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on Norwegian ships.

With this in mind, why would it matter if the ship is "full" based on occupancy since the child would be fully in the care of the parents?

I think that once you have the baby, call NCL and add the child to your room. I don't see any issue as long as they over 6 months old. :)

It is still a body that may need to get on a lifeboat. Even though the baby isn't charged full price, it counts as another passenger towards the ships capacity.

Every child in a room is fully in the care of it's parents, regardless of age.

From the NCL FAQ Site:

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#children-cruise-free

Do children cruise for free?

Cruise fare for children under two is government taxes and port fees only. Certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on Norwegian ships.

With this in mind, why would it matter if the ship is "full" based on occupancy since the child would be fully in the care of the parents?

I think that once you have the baby, call NCL and add the child to your room. I don't see any issue as long as they over 6 months old. :)

It is still a body that may need to get on a lifeboat. Even though the baby isn't charged full price, it counts as another passenger towards the ships capacity.

Every child in a room is fully in the care of it's parents, regardless of age.

I understand the need to account for everyone on board, but with an infant, that child would be carried by a parent, and not take up a seat space per se.

For our first cruise in Jan 2011 I booked in July of 2010 so they were available. I booked a cruise for Jan. of 2012 as soon as I got back from my first cruise and wasn't able to book my excursions until June of 2011.

Is this new? I always pre-book and it all ends up on our final onboard bill. :confused:

Thanks Joyce

Yeah, I was as shocked as you. When I booked excursions for my last cruise I didnt have to pay ahead. When I wanted to book for my upcoming cruise I did. I did ask why that is and was told that its something theyve implemented in the last year. Its also why I only booked one upcoming one online ;)

So needless to say, unless I really want something, Ill just wait until the cruise to book.

Pay now, or pay later as they say..

Archived