Norovirus on Carnival Freedom 5/5 Sailing

Staplerman

Hey fellow cruisers, we are on the Freedom this week (Southern Caribbean) and there have been numerous reports of Norovirus. Unfortunately, my son and I were both affected but are better now. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life, and that is the solemn truth.

Please please please be assertive, carry your own antibacterial hand gel around on your cruises with you and wash your hands frequently. Carnival has done an extremely poor job of helping passengers keep hands sanitized, so if you're coming on Freedom or another Carnival ship take matters into your own hands and help guarantee a great cruise.

See you all next week for a full review of the trip, ship and ports-of-call!

seems to me they've done a pretty good job. The 2 cruises I've been on had hand sanitizers everywhere, including right at the doors leading into the MDR.

There's only so much they can (and should be expected to) do. The rest is up to passengers. That is a fear of ours (not an overly large fear, just always in the back of our minds) about catching something in such an inclosed space with so many people.

Really hate that you and your son got hit with it. I can imagine it really sucked!

I have already posted this on the Muster Drill thread, but it is definitely worth repeating. The most likely place (besides using the buffet utencils, bathroom door knobs, etc.) you will catch even the common aggrevating cold, is during the Muster Drill. The close closed quarters standing shoulder to shoulder with those around you and all the sneezing, coughing, etc. one hears during this time......there's bound to be exposure. I always wait until "last call" for the Muster so I can be on the end somewhere. Or, allow others to go ahead of me and "wait for your roommates who are straggling behind" so you can be on the end. Trust me, trial and error, it worked for my cruise last time. Dh and kids wanted to hurry and 'get up there' while my mom and I waited behind. Dh came down with a terrible case of layrangitis three days later. I could barely see him during Muster but saw and heard about three people sneezing beside him. Poor guy. Lesson learned.....I hope. ;)

Sorry to hear that. It is always a risk. From what I understand, washing your hands with soap and water is the best preventative. Not sure how Carnival can help people out with that other than to remind them to do it.

I agree. From what I understand hand washing is the best defense against the Norovirus. Everything I have read states that hand sanitizers do little if anything for the Norovirus.

OP sorry you got sick. Wishing you a quick recovery.

I have already posted this on the Muster Drill thread, but it is definitely worth repeating. The most likely place (besides using the buffet utencils, bathroom door knobs, etc.) you will catch even the common aggrevating cold, is during the Muster Drill. The close closed quarters standing shoulder to shoulder with those around you and all the sneezing, coughing, etc. one hears during this time......there's bound to be exposure. I always wait until "last call" for the Muster so I can be on the end somewhere. Or, allow others to go ahead of me and "wait for your roommates who are straggling behind" so you can be on the end. Trust me, trial and error, it worked for my cruise last time. Dh and kids wanted to hurry and 'get up there' while my mom and I waited behind. Dh came down with a terrible case of layrangitis three days later. I could barely see him during Muster but saw and heard about three people sneezing beside him. Poor guy. Lesson learned.....I hope. ;)

We will be on the Freedom next weekend. I plan on packing a ridiculous amount of hand sanitizer. We have always lagged behind and made sure we were last in the muster drill, especially after the first time when we were early. My wife gets sick in confined spaces especially with the temperature of a typical cruise port and next to all of those people and wearing a lifejacket.

Just a note - hand sanitizer MAY work but only if it's the right kind. The Purell (which is also what they have on ship) doesn't have the right ingredient.

Wash your hands, and if you MUST use hand sanitizer (after touching a menu, etc) use Germ-X. (other brands have the right ingredient, but they're not bought easily in a store and have to be ordered)

My wife works in childcare and the "experts" are warning the hand sanitizers are losing their effectiveness because we are overusing them, I guess similar to antibiotics.

Also, these experts promote good handwashing for 30 seconds + the hand sanitizer. Too many people, myself included, have decided to substitute the sanitizer for the handwashing.

BTW, the nastiest thing you will encounter in a hotel room or stateroom is the remote control. Pack some lysol wipes.

A guest usually brings it on the ship so it takes maybe two or three days for people to starting getting sick and not everybody gets sick. Like the post say hand washing many times during the day, before and after eating, aftering touching non food objects like stair railings may reduce the risk of getting sick. Believe it or not shaking hands is a big one on my list. Keep you hands away from your face. One can only do so much when around so many people.

Gary

Hey fellow cruisers, we are on the Freedom this week (Southern Caribbean) and there have been numerous reports of Norovirus. Unfortunately, my son and I were both affected but are better now. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life, and that is the solemn truth.

Please please please be assertive, carry your own antibacterial hand gel around on your cruises with you and wash your hands frequently. Carnival has done an extremely poor job of helping passengers keep hands sanitized, so if you're coming on Freedom or another Carnival ship take matters into your own hands and help guarantee a great cruise.

antibacterial hand gel does nothing for norovirus. in fact, it can actually kill the good germs you want on your hands to capture the stuff. it's called the immune system.

wash wash wash your hands with soap and water.

it's quite possible you caught it cause you killed that good bacteria.

Also sanitize after using elavator since you have to push buttons and I am sure they are loaded with germs.

Use your knuckle to push any buttons to avoid getting sick by accidentally touching your face before you have a chance to wash your hands.

Just think of how many things you come in contact between washing your hands and the buffet. If only people would wash their hands after a potty break, we probably wouldn't have this issue in the first place.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

On the Miracle, there was hand sanitizer at the entrances of all eating areas. Also, there were small paper towels at every door coming out of the bathrooms, so you could use one to open the door and then throw it away in the small barrels near the door. I liked this, especially knowing that unfortunately, not everyone washes their hands after using the restroom!

Norovirus is brutal, had it this winter while on a skiing vacation....it spread through our condo like wildfire! Wouldn't want to have it on a cruise ship!

Beside hand washing (with soap and water) preventive care to boost your immune system prior to cruising (and flying) is ESSENTIAL.

Make sure to get proper rest before going away.

Eat properly...take vitamin supplements and keep your hands away from your face.

We tend to all run ourselves ragged before going on vacation and this leaves you more suseptible to catch something.

So sorry.The Pom Pom shakers will be out soon..telling you it is all your fault. but if posts stay on There are things you can do. I had it on Pricess..last pre Christmas Cruise. ONE..buy a big tube of Clorox wipes. When you go to your cabin..wipe the toilet handle. that is the worst place on the ship..that handle..because you wash hands after the potty..then wip down..phone....ice bucket...counters...lamps turnon..it only takes a few minutes..also balcony door if you have one...cabin door entrance..USE your own restroom if possible. Eat in the MDR as much as possible so you don't get contaminated in a buffet line.

RUNNING WATER WILL WASH THE VIRUS FROM YOUR HANDS IF YOU HOLD THEM UNDER WATER FOR 45 SECONDS. soap is great..HAND SANITIZER WORKS.....IF YOU DRY YOUR HANDS AFTER.

Wash you hands. Don't touch your face. Wash your hands. don't touch your face. It helps a lot.Good Luck to all.

keep washing your hands. if you can sit outside of that convention center..doso. With warm weather....it cannot be as strong as in Winter. Stay in the sun if possible. Wipe your cabin for germ..toilet handle. Wash your hands .Holding themunder water for 45 seconds washes the virus from your hands.

Use your restroom..Use a paper towel to flush the toilet in the Convention Center.

Be very careful You will probably be fine. Drink some Vitamin C. It is supposed to ward offvirus bad things.

Dh and I had it on the 4/21 sailing. Never so sick in my life. He ended up in the hospital in ICU and almost died. I am a nurse and I called them and told them to do something to clean the ship. Guess they didn't take me seriously. This was our 25th cruise on carnival but I think we have become land lovers.

I simply will not spend all my cruise sanitizing myself with antibacterial things that have nothing to do with virus. You can clean and sanitize 99 out of 100 things, and sure enough, you'll touch that 100th thing! I use reasonable care, wipe down the essentials in my cabin. The main key is get your immunity built up prior to a cruise to prevent or lessen the effects of noro. Someday my luck will run out, I'm sure. Remember, it's your cruisemate/cruisemates that brought it aboard to share the illness with you because they didn't want to miss THEIR cruise, or got it in the inadequate ventillation on a plane or in a cab.

Carnival can't put everyone in a bubble.

I keep seeing people say 'your cruise mates bring it on board' of course they do people spread germs...but CLEARLY it has been on this ship a while and Carnival has not addressed it with a thorough cleaning. Just like the Princess ship a few months back that kept getting cut short due to excessive outbreak.

I keep seeing people say 'your cruise mates bring it on board' of course they do people spread germs...but CLEARLY it has been on this ship a while and Carnival has not addressed it with a thorough cleaning. Just like the Princess ship a few months back that kept getting cut short due to excessive outbreak.

I was on that ship! Not the one that could not land and got called back..but the Crown Sailing on Dec. 17.

I was quaranteed for three days.

How sick was I? Ok. the seas were rough. We sailed through a gale. I was nauseated on Monday Night.could not eat. Went to our cabin and went to bed. In the night I had a minor stool Issue.The next day, as soon as the medical center was open, I knew to call the nurse. I immediately did. She came to my room, examined me and then ..gaveme meds for SeaSickness and for diarrhrea. I was also on the "diet" Cold soup. Tea. Jello. Dry toast. Boiled chiken or salmon. Very limited. And I was quarantind. Husband was not sick..never did get sick so he had the run of the ship.

The second day..I was better.Not sea sick. No more tummy issues.Slept a lot.I think the meds did that. The next day..ditto. Read some books..tried to figure out TV Station.I was Not every sick. Third Day..afternoon...i was seen by the nurse and let out of quarantine.

Itwas an awful cruise. They had been fighting Norvo since Thanksgiving. and were not winning. The ship was in chaos.The staff ..many were ill. ruined the cruise. But honestly..after that first afternoon and night........I was not that sick. The sleep I got....and I slept around the clock...helped I guess. I was bored. but a lot of other people were sicker than me, and my husband stayed in the cabin with me when I was awake.

Hope I never catch it again. But..........I have been sicker. I lost five pounds. If I catch it again, I will stop cruising until they come up with a treatment. A cure.

IMHO, people over sanitze. I've never been the type of person to wash my hands regularly (even before eating) and very rarely get sick (I get a cold every 2-3 years, never had anything more serious than the common cold, either), and I'm 35. In contrast, my cousin is a germ freak and she seems to be sick constantly. If you don't let your immune system practice then it will never be any good at defending you from invading organisms!

We've not seen reports of this happening every sailing, so saying that it's been on the ship a while might be a stretch. If it were on the ship a while, at least someone would get sick from it every sailing!

IMHO, people over sanitze. I've never been the type of person to wash my hands regularly (even before eating) and very rarely get sick (I get a cold every 2-3 years, never had anything more serious than the common cold, either), and I'm 35. In contrast, my cousin is a germ freak and she seems to be sick constantly. If you don't let your immune system practice then it will never be any good at defending you from invading organisms!

We've not seen reports of this happening every sailing, so saying that it's been on the ship a while might be a stretch. If it were on the ship a while, at least someone would get sick from it every sailing!

I would agree with you that you don't need to over sanitize. What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.

However, washing your hands is just smart.

Archived