Most DSLR-like compact?

Robin7

Which compact camera do you all believe gives the most DSLR-like images?

We have a Canon 40D with a bunch of lenses etc. The bag weighs 15 pounds!!! I am getting tired of hauling it so I leave it home a lot. So then I use our Canon D10 which doesn't give the best image quality. (Good but not great.)

I've been looking at reviews and things for something in between. I want a larger sensor but I'm not sure I want to go all the way to a the Micro 4/3rds system. What do you know about the Sony Cybershot RX 100 II? I'd like some opinions from people I know aren't getting paid for their opinions! The cost is $$$ for a compact, I think.

All input welcome!

Robin

We have a Canon 40D with a bunch of lenses etc. The bag weighs 15 pounds!!! I am getting tired of hauling it so I leave it home a lot. So then I use our Canon D10 which doesn't give the best image quality. (Good but not great.)

I've been looking at reviews and things for something in between. I want a larger sensor but I'm not sure I want to go all the way to a the Micro 4/3rds system. What do you know about the Sony Cybershot RX 100 II? I'd like some opinions from people I know aren't getting paid for their opinions! The cost is $$$ for a compact, I think.

All input welcome!

Robin

Industry consensus is that the RX-100 has the best image quality in a truly compact camera as of now. The Mark II has marginally better image quality but the tilt-screen and flash hotshoe may tilt one in its drection over the older model.

I have played with a friend's RX100 and put it through the wringer I can say without reservation that if I didn't have a NEX for a smaller travel option, I would own one already. I may still get one just for the casual carry option to replace my aging HX5V.

Some others who have one and have had more time with it than I did will hopefully chime in.

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I have really valued your input over the years.

I am a genealogist, and a class I attended on archiving/curating items at a conference recently went on and on about the Micro four-thirds system, but I am not ready to go that route--YET. Maybe someday.

We had a Canon ELPH for a long time (SD400). I loved that thing! But megapixels, etc. So it is now a grandkid camera. It's nice to hand them something to play with! (And the four year olds get some INTERESTING shots. Heh.)

Our D10 is great, but I hate carrying it around as it's not compact enough. And I guess I'm just getting tired and don't really want to carry the 40D and its stuff. (I pulled a muscle in my rib cage hauling it around Alaska on a ten-day land trip a few years ago!)

We leave on a cruise to Canada/New England in 53 days. I am mostly thinking out loud. I'm just not sure I can swallow the cost for the RX-100. Must work more to support my hobby!!! :D

Robin

The RX 100 II is the point and shoot I would buy... nice large image sensor coupled with fast and pretty sharp lense makes it the best p&s out there. It's pretty expensive for a p&s, but it takes great pictures and has all the controls you need.

You may want to take a look over at DP Review's Compact Cameras for Enthusiasts page. All of these are fixed lens cameras, some with fixed focal length lenses.

I'm fond of my Panasonic/Leica FZ-50 and LX7 cameras. While they notionally have low resolution sensors by todays standards the lenses are very nice.

I will likely get some sort of interchangeable lens camera, but I am undecided between MFT, Fuji X, or Canon SLR [i have two Canon film SLR bodies and a few lenses, but not a major investment]

All input welcome!

Robin

Take a look at the Fujifilm X100S. A bit pricey, but shoots great pictures. One of the few compact cameras with a viewfinder, which I like.

Of course if money is no object, then the Nikon Coolpix A gives you an APS-C (entry level sized DSLR) sensor in a compact camera body. But it costs more than your 40D.

If price is truly no object, there always the full-frame Sony RX-1...;)

Dave

How I wish price was no object!!! I approached my DH about maybe selling the 40D and all its stuff to fund a better compact, but we are a martial arts family, and I take pictures at all the rank advancement tests. Since he just started martial arts (yes, he's the oldest one!), he says I have to keep the camera to get pix of him. Darn! :D

232323232%7Ffp43583%3Enu%3D3244%3E783%3E%3A%3C6%3EWSNRCG%3D364%3B%3A497%3A7326nu0mrj

I appreciate all of the advice. Must go work more!!! ;)

Robin

How I wish price was no object!!! I approached my DH about maybe selling the 40D and all its stuff to fund a better compact, but we are a martial arts family, and I take pictures at all the rank advancement tests. Since he just started martial arts (yes, he's the oldest one!), he says I have to keep the camera to get pix of him. Darn! :D

I appreciate all of the advice. Must go work more!!! ;)

Robin

Hang in there another month or so. In April, the Sony A-6000 will be arriving and with its hybrid autofocus reportedly being as fast as all but the most advanced pro-DSLRs, a switch to the tiny, NEX-sized camera body (smaller than almost all the micro 4/3 cameras) may be an option for you. Ii can also shoot at 11 fps for action sequences. I am likely going to move my NEX-7 into back-up mode and get one. Just waiting for a thorough review to confirm image quality and performance claims.

Dave

The Fujifilm X-S1 is almost identical in weight and size to a DSLR. It has one of the best viewfinders on a point and shoot It has a fixed lens with a range of 24mm to 624mm. . This is much longer than the telephoto on the Sony RX-10. Also the Fuji being discontinued is going for $349 on Amazon versus $1200 for the Sony. Lots of cameras to consider and what has been suggested varies from single fixed focal lenth to superzoom. Think about how you want to use the camera and what lenses you want it to replace and it will help you narrow things down.

Looking promising, if it can really improve over V1/V2 by two stops and shoot at high iso like D700 then I'll be getting one.

The real attraction is for wildlife/birders who need blazing fast focus/frame rate and crop. Can you say 30FPS and 35mm equalvalent of 810mm focal length :D

Or for me shooting 85 1.8 and 50 1.8 = 230 and 130 f1.8 that all fit in your coat pocket and totally silent shooting. Very close to putting my D4 or D600 up for sale.

Here is my next travel body:The new Nikon V3,

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v3/nikon-v3A.HTM

Panasonic GM1 - new out December 2013. Personal side by side comparison with my Sony RX100 is that the GM1 has superb photo quality. Check out the DP Review of the GM1 and also read reviews at B & H Photo. The GM1 fits in my pocket and is my go-to travel camera.

All input welcome!

Robin

EOS M is your best bet. It takes all your existing Canon lens with an adapter. M mount kit lens is light and small compare to EF-S lens. EOS M has the same sensor as T4i. Price of EOS M is cheaper than any of the Sony, Fuji cameras mentioned above. With new firmware, AF speed is decent. For $350 with kit lens, flash, body with APS-C size sensor, can't beat that.

Edited by truel1111

EOS M is your best bet. It takes all your existing Canon lens with an adapter. M mount kit lens is light and small compare to EF-S lens. EOS M has the same sensor as T4i. Price of EOS M is cheaper than any of the Sony, Fuji cameras mentioned above. With new firmware, AF speed is decent. For $350 with kit lens, flash, body with APS-C size sensor, can't beat that.

Since it was $900+ when released, the sub-$500 price for the bundle of camera, kit lens and EF adapter is a pretty good deal. Some caution would be advised since Canon has discontinued the model due to poor sales outside of Japan and its successor, the M2, will not be marketed in the US or Europe. It is also unlikely that they will be distributing any lenses other then the two M-native 18-55 kit and 22mm pancake lenses. True, the adapter lets you use EF lenses on the body, but that sort of short-circuits the benefit of the small body. I bought the adapter to use my a-mount Sony lenses on my NEX but seldom use it with anything other than my macro lens or the Lensbaby for just that reason.

Dave

All input welcome!

Robin

I just picked up a Nikon P7800. It has an articulable rear screen, electronic viewfinder, full manual modes (MASP) and video. It also can shoot RAW as well as JPEG. I haven't had a chance to play with it a lot yet, but so far I'm impressed.

• 2 weeks later...