Question for Stephen Payne

1. Does the Queen Mary 2 have expansion joints & how does an expansion joint of the hull allow for flex yet maintain the strength of the hull?

2. Will Stephen Payne be giving presentations on the May 9 & May 16, 2014 Transatlantic crossings (QM2 10th Anniversary)?

Yes I am on the 9th of May 10th Anniversary Crossing it will be my first time on a sea voyage It would be great to meet you, as I have been a fan of Your Ship for some time, and managed to tour Her earlier this year. Is there a possibility that you will be on board.

Dear Sabrina,

Queen Mary 2 doesn't have any expansion joints. These are no longer required as we can work out the stresses and strains much more accurately than in the past using computers. With this knowledge we can design the structure so that expansion joints are not needed. In fact such joints introduce an inherent weakness in the structure and they are also very prone to corrosion etc.

I will be sailing on the 9th and 16th May sailings of Queen Mary 2 in 2014 to lecture and celebrate the 10th anniversary of the entry into service of the ship. We hope that Commodore Warwick, the ship's first master, will also be with us.

I hope to see you on board!

Thank you for your questions,

Stephen

I'd like to participate at the ongoing forum-discussion by talking to Mr . Payne... I posted my questions at the forum but they haven't been published (although they were moderate). i tried several times to contact Cruise Critics but to no avail...Q: is this forum open to serious discussion or just an opportunity to exchange compliments? no email-response, no connection by phone.... I will instist with you until I got feed back!

[quote name='scifisteve']Yes I am on the 9th of May 10th Anniversary Crossing it will be my first time on a sea voyage It would be great to meet you, as I have been a fan of Your Ship for some time, and managed to tour Her earlier this year. Is there a possibility that you will be on board.[/QUOTE]

I look forward to meeting you. Please come and say hello.

Stephen

Archived