Is Tipping in Labadee Customary?

cjdixon4

I just read a comment by someone on a different chat than Cruise Critic about tipping in Labadee. She said that the person who set up her beach seats "required" her to tip $5. When she only had a $10 bill, he claimed not to have change and kept the whole amount. Forr the record, we don't mind tipping when it's reasonable to do so. But is this what goes on there, or is that an exception about the tipping thing in Labadee? I'll be on Freedom next May, and trust me, my DH isn't gonna deal with that kind of nonsense. Any info about that? Curious. :confused:

My understanding is that those working on Labadee are forbidden from requiring tips or asking for tips of any kind. I would have gotton his name and reported that to guest services. That being said we always bring some ones for those to provide a service or go above and beyond. Remember you use your sea card for everything there, except the market, so things like drink tips are automatically charged to your card.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

We usually tip $5 if they set up chairs and an umbrella for us.

Bob, do you happen to know whether they are employees of RCI, or simply Haitian residents? I can't wrap my head around an RCI employee treating a guest that way.

We usually tip $5 if they set up chairs and an umbrella for us.

Same here.

They are pushy, but it's certainly not required. However, consider that the Haitian locals are dirt poor, and that the $5 or $10 means so much more to them than it does to any of us.

Bob, do you happen to know whether they are employees of RCI, or simply Haitian residents? I can't wrap my head around an RCI employee treating a guest that way.

I really don't know.

Most are Haitians, but there are some RCI employees that live there. Their housing is quite nice, I am told. They rotate their time just like any staff member on board does working so many months on and then home for vacation.

I just read a comment by someone on a different chat than Cruise Critic about tipping in Labadee. She said that the person who set up her beach seats "required" her to tip $5. When she only had a $10 bill, he claimed not to have change and kept the whole amount. Forr the record, we don't mind tipping when it's reasonable to do so. But is this what goes on there, or is that an exception about the tipping thing in Labadee? I'll be on Freedom next May, and trust me, my DH isn't gonna deal with that kind of nonsense. Any info about that? Curious. :confused:

Find out price/expectations before someone starts lifting and/or arranging something for you. It can happen very quick- but I have found that this is nothing more than a scam to get a few extra $ out of naive tourists. I had many instances where this was attempted. Most notably, with an aggressive baggage porter who I waved away while I loaded 8 out of 9 bags (heaviest to lightest) into a cab. He handed me the last "purse-sized" bag and expected a tip. My tip was , "next time realize your service is not asked for or needed." *door slam*

When we wandered onto Labadee last July, we were harassed because we found some open chairs that we thought we'd use and a gentleman ( I assume he was either a local or employee) stormed up to us because other people had asked him to set up the chairs and wandered away and never tipped him. This was our first time to the island so we had never encountered this situation before. We are used having the chairs set up and ready prior to guests getting off the ship. He wouldn't back down until one in our group did in fact tip him.

I don't mind tipping either but I felt he was unnecessarily aggressive. Quite frankly I was contemplating staying on the ship when we are there in 2 weeks.

You can get your own lounger, you don't need anyone to set it up or move it for you. They are everywhere, just take a seat. Of course if you require assistance or want something special, or just want to tip, have the correct change for what "you" want to tip.

The guys in the suite section will get you drinks, beers, mats, towels even if you are not in a cabana. They deserve a nice tip after waiting on you. Again, have the correct change

Edited by setsail

We've been to Labadee four of the past five years. Everyone seems to be looking for a tip, especially the chair guys.

I learned to carry a few dollar bills. For a few bucks several people work to make me happy, and a few people who live in the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere earn a few dollars. Everyone wins.

My understanding is that those working on Labadee are forbidden from requiring tips or asking for tips of any kind. I would have gotton his name and reported that to guest services. That being said we always bring some ones for those to provide a service or go above and beyond. Remember you use your sea card for everything there, except the market, so things like drink tips are automatically charged to your card.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I'm curious where you heard this.

Same here.

They are pushy, but it's certainly not required. However, consider that the Haitian locals are dirt poor, and that the $5 or $10 means so much more to them than it does to any of us.

I would almost wager the guys putting out our chairs in Labadee are upper class in Haiti. I believe the average income is less than $1,000 annually.

Last time I was on barefoot beach we had the best attendant he said every morning he came over from the mountainside across from labadee by canoe to work. He was Haitian and he didn't work for RCI.on all the cruises my wife and I have been on he and a waiter from the independence are two of the best people that we have ever met on a cruise and still talk about till this day. When We Go back to labadee this sept We walk the whole island to try and find him.They are hard working people that depend on us to survive and deserve a great tip.

We've been to Labadee four of the past five years. Everyone seems to be looking for a tip, especially the chair guys.

I learned to carry a few dollar bills. For a few bucks several people work to make me happy, and a few people who live in the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere earn a few dollars. Everyone wins.

This is how I feel about tipping the locals. I know some people working near labadee and their stories of poverty and desperation are heartbreaking. It is really is the poorest nation in our hemisphere despite millions of dollar in aid.

My husband spent 2 weeks there on a mission trip a couple of years ago. After the devastation he saw first hand - no power, no running water, homes made of - mud - we tip the locals anytime we go - we do anything we can for them! Honestly, the knowledge of the devastation just outside the gate tempers our "beach day" bliss more than a little.

The govt. is quite corrupt - millions of $$ of aid raised after the earthquake and very little to show for it.

We bring fruit over (from the buffet, at the end of the meal) for the musicians. They are thrilled - although they must be very discreet accepting it.

Let's face it, there are not acres of wilderness on Labadee. If Royal really wanted to discourage tipping the chairs would be set up before passengers arrived.

By 1pm the sand will be covered with chairs so why not just have them set up before everyone gets there? Because this way, the passengers will tip the workers and make them happy and one less thing for Royal to worry about.

Just bring singles with you and tip as you like. If anyone became demanding that's when I would get annoyed.