Avalon ...not off to a good start!

kreemmer

We arrived yesterday for our Budapest Prague river cruise which begins Sunday aboard the Luminary. We booked an extra night at the Intercontinental and paid for transfers on both ends. We usually do our own transfers but after a long day of flying thought it would just be easier to have a ride waiting for us. Our flight was pretty much on time . No one came to pick us up. We waited for 30 minutes or more .There were the signs from Viking and Tauck but no Avalon. I called the operations number we were given and was told to take a taxi! Now if I had wanted to take a cab I wouldn't have arranged transfers. The Intercontinental is beautiful. We just didn't start off positively with Avalon. Hope it gets better. I will keep you informed.

Just a thought for those going to or from Budapest or Prague. No need to do the tour arranged transportation. The taxis are reasonable and reliable and they should take euros. Just confirm the price before starting off.

We stayed an extra night in Budapest post cruise. Avalon wanted to charge us $50 each for the AP transfer. We hooked up with fellow cruisers and the cab the hotel got us cost $16 For us as a couple!

• 2 weeks later...

We were reimbursed for taxi from airport . Now my travel agent must try and get our$100 transfer fee back.

We are still in Prague now and have had a fabulous time and wonderful weather. We were very happy with our cruise director, Hendricks Jan. He was professional, organized and very pleasant. I think the cruise director has a big influence on your whole cruise experience. Ours exceeded our expectations.

Can't say the same for our contact\ hostess here in Prague. Isabella has been less than helpful and downright rude to many of us. Missing Hendricks and his easy manner. Wish he had continued with us to Prague. ( he stayed on ship as it continued to Trier and then Paris)

We were reimbursed for taxi from airport . Now my travel agent must try and get our$100 transfer fee back.

We are still in Prague now and have had a fabulous time and wonderful weather. We were very happy with our cruise director, Hendricks Jan. He was professional, organized and very pleasant. I think the cruise director has a big influence on your whole cruise experience. Ours exceeded our expectations.

Can't say the same for our contact\ hostess here in Prague. Isabella has been less than helpful and downright rude to many of us. Missing Hendricks and his easy manner. Wish he had continued with us to Prague. ( he stayed on ship as it continued to Trier and then Paris)

Its great that you enjoyed your cruise, I am glad that the pre cruise problems didnt affect your experience on board.

You are right a CD or in your case a hostess can make or break a trip..if the Prague section was through Avalon I'd be letting them know how your experiences.

Looking forward to our next Avalon cruise next year

Deb

I think the cruise director has a big influence on your whole cruise experience. Ours exceeded our expectations. Can't say the same for our contact\ hostess here in Prague. Isabella has been less than helpful and downright rude to many of us. Missing Hendricks and his easy manner. Wish he had continued with us to Prague. ( he stayed on ship as it continued to Trier and then Paris)

That's one of the nice ideas that AMA uses: the cruise director stays with the post-cruise extension. This may not work with all itineraries, where some guests join and leave the ship at different points, but it seems to be their usual practice.

Since you did your transfer paid for why would you want it back? You got your money for the taxi so they did give you your transfer. Why do you expect money back?

Since you did your transfer paid for why would you want it back? You got your money for the taxi so they did give you your transfer. Why do you expect money back?

We may be reading this differently but the way I read the OP's post was that prior to their arrival they had paid Avalon $100 to be picked up and transferred to the Hotel. That did not happen so they paid an additional amount to have a taxi do what they had already paid Avalon for. Avalon has reimbursed the OP for the Taxi fare but they still owe the OP for the transfer fee that they did not supply transport for.

By my accounts they still owe the OP a further $100.

We may be reading this differently but the way I read the OP's post was that prior to their arrival they had paid Avalon $100 to be picked up and transferred to the Hotel. That did not happen so they paid an additional amount to have a taxi do what they had already paid Avalon for. Avalon has reimbursed the OP for the Taxi fare but they still owe the OP for the transfer fee that they did not supply transport for.

By my accounts they still owe the OP a further $100.

By my account Avalon paid for the transfer to the hotel by reimbursement for the taxi.

Tell me that they did not receive transport from airport to hotel paid for by Avalon. If Avalon did not pay for the taxi I would agree with you, but they did. What is the OP out????? They got to the hotel and Avalon paid.

I believe the OP not only paid for the transfer but the real product being purchased was "peace of mind" knowing that someone from Avalon would be at the airport with a sign when they got off a long "International" flight. It was the ease of not needing to worry and have someone else there to handle the details.

While the transfer technically was paid for by Avalon, the peace of mind and worry free arrival was a huge part of the service that was not delivered.

JMHO

I believe the OP not only paid for the transfer but the real product being purchased was "peace of mind" knowing that someone from Avalon would be at the airport with a sign when they got off a long "International" flight. It was the ease of not needing to worry and have someone else there to handle the details.

While the transfer technically was paid for by Avalon, the peace of mind and worry free arrival was a huge part of the service that was not delivered.

JMHO

I agree with Nana. Peace of mind is worth everything. We always pre-pay transfers when we travel. After getting off a long flight or needing to be at the airport at a certain time for long queues of processing, knowing someone is waiting for you is definitely worth it.

By my account Avalon paid for the transfer to the hotel by reimbursement for the taxi.

Tell me that they did not receive transport from airport to hotel paid for by Avalon. If Avalon did not pay for the taxi I would agree with you, but they did. What is the OP out????? They got to the hotel and Avalon paid.

We really do read this differently. I'll try another way. You pay $10000 for your cruise and if you want a transfer from the airport it's an additional $100. So you pay the company $10100. You arrive at the airport and your $100 (paid) transfer does not show up so you take a taxi and pay the driver the $50 for the fare. Now in essence you've paid $150 for your transfer ($100 as part of the package and an additional $50 from your own pocket). The company refunds your taxi fare of $50 dollars BUT it still owes you a refund of the original transfer fee of $100 that it did not supply. If the company hands over another $100 the problem is solved.

The company refunds your taxi fare of $50 dollars BUT it still owes you a refund of the original transfer fee of $100 that it did not supply. If the company hands over another $100 the problem is solved.

Try this, you need to get from the airport and it is going to cost you either $50 for a taxi or $100 to have the transfer arranged for you.

There is no option that leaves you traveling for free ...

Now personally I'd have paid the taxi fare and claimed back the $100 transfer that was not provided.

I would not have let them keep their $100 and refund me the $50.

... but I don't see how you expect to get both the $50 and the $100 back as transport was provided ...

Try this, you need to get from the airport and it is going to cost you either $50 for a taxi or $100 to have the transfer arranged for you.

There is no option that leaves you traveling for free ...

Now personally I'd have paid the taxi fare and claimed back the $100 transfer that was not provided.

I would not have let them keep their $100 and refund me the $50.

... but I don't see how you expect to get both the $50 and the $100 back as transport was provided ...

You and I must be destined to butt heads Sir. Where was transport provided? The paid for transfer did not show up. The OP then paid for a transfer out of their own pocket and that was refunded by the company. What happened to the original $100? It's still in the companies coffers. The OP pays out $150 for a transfer and the company refunds $50. By my math the OP is still out of pocket $100.

You and I must be destined to butt heads Sir. Where was transport provided? The paid for transfer did not show up. The OP then paid for a transfer out of their own pocket and that was refunded by the company. What happened to the original $100? It's still in the companies coffers. The OP pays out $150 for a transfer and the company refunds $50. By my math the OP is still out of pocket $100.

The OP got a taxi and that was paid for by the company, that was the transport.

Your view has the OP paying nothing yet still being transported from the airport.

I can see an argument that for goodwill purposes the company may still refund the $100 as well, but I don't see any entitlement to have got transported from the airport at zero cost ...

The OP got a taxi and that was paid for by the company, that was the transport.

Your view has the OP paying nothing yet still being transported from the airport.

I can see an argument that for goodwill purposes the company may still refund the $100 as well, but I don't see any entitlement to have got transported from the airport at zero cost ...

This has got to be a language thing and I can find no way to translate Australian into American. The OP said ...

"We booked an extra night at the Intercontinental and paid for transfers on both ends."

I read this as I've already paid for my transfer. The OP then wrote ...

"No one came to pick us up. We waited for 30 minutes or more .There were the signs from Viking and Tauck but no Avalon. I called the operations number we were given and was told to take a taxi!

Now I read this as I've already paid for my transfer but it never showed up and I have to pay for a taxi. The cost of the taxi is on top of the cost I've already paid but the taxi fare is refunded. All I can make out from your replies is that the company failed to provide the paid for transfer - told the OP to take a cab and somehow the taxi became a substitute for the transfer already paid for. As it's apparent we're poles apart on our reading of this I'll leave it alone but for those of you who think this was a fair deal I've got some properties down here that you'll love to buy.

As it's apparent we're poles apart on our reading of this I'll leave it alone but for those of you who think this was a fair deal I've got some properties down here that you'll love to buy.

A fair deal at $100? No, we don't disagree on that point, I don't consider being told to take a taxi as 'providing a transfer', which is why I'd have paid the taxi myself and demanded my $100 back.

The only difference between us seems to be that you believe the OP should get transported from the airport at no cost with a full refund of what was paid for both the transfer and the taxi, so the company is out $50 and the OP gets free transport.

I still think it is possible to get that as a gesture of goodwill due to the company error, I just don't think it is an entitlement.

My take on this.....

If Avalon included transfers as part of their fare (as Scenic, Tauck and Uniworld do) then all costs should be reimbursed.

But - you are on your own for transfers with Avalon unless you purchase their air.

The OP paid for a transfer from Avalon that did not arrive. He then paid for a 2nd transfer (via a taxi) - that was reimbursed. I think that he should have asked for reimbursement of whatever was the more expensive transfer.

Avalon has an opportunity to foster some good will by paying for the taxi (which they have already done....) AND reimbursing them for the transfers that were supposed to have been arranged upon arrival. This is more of an apology for lack of service - instead of reimbursement for transportation.

It appears that the OP booked a transfers at both ends of the cruise - so am guessing that the one when they leave will still be on. If the OP is planning on using the transfer service at the end of the cruise - and the $100 was for both transfers - then pro-rating the costs means than Avalon wouldn't owe the entire $100 back.

If Avalon pays back the entire transfer fee - AND pays for the taxi - then the OP is getting a service for free that no one else gets. Again - Avalon could choose to do it from a good will perspective - but don't think they owe the OP that.

Just my 2 cents worth here.

Fran

Archived