Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 30th, 2005, 11:00 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Best time to see animals in Alaska

What is the best time to see the animals (babies also) in Alaska? We are debating between June and July.

Royal Caribbean Sovereign 7-2003 (the beginning), Carnival Conquest 7-2004, Carnival Legend 5-2005, Royal Caribbean Vision 6-2006, Royal Caribbean Rhapsody 5-2007, Carnival Victory 8-2008, Norwegian Spirit 1-2009, Royal Caribbean Mariner 5-2010, Celebrity Century 5-2011, Carnival Conquest 5-2012, Carnival Glory 7-2013, Carnival Freedom 7-2014.

Old July 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default June for babies

We spent 4 days on the Kenai Penninsula from June 20 to June 24 and saw baby moose seemingly everywhere.

"Please....don't confuse me with logic"

bill@wcbeanphoto.com

Old July 1st, 2005, 01:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

The best time for Bears I am told is end of August and September because of the salmon in the rivers.

Old July 1st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Wildlife is possible any time. Best bargain around is Denali Park and the Kenai Fjords boat tours for varied marine and bird wildlife.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingee
What is the best time to see the animals (babies also) in Alaska? We are debating between June and July.
In mid July they begin offering bear watching tours to Anan Creek from Ketchikan .. you didn't say if you were cruising/touring or both?? If you are just cruising roundtrip this is probably your best bet for bears although we did see a brown bear in Yukon last month grazing for lunch along the roadside meadow.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/badges/
www.cruisecritic.com/newsletter
www.cruisecritic.co.uk/newsletter
www.independenttraveler.com/newsletter

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:00 AM

For the costly fly in Bear tours out of Ketchikan, I only go during peak time, which is end of July for Anan. At $400pp I don't want the fringe season. I'll be there again in August. I've been to Neets Bay which is also peak in August- beg of Sept. Pack Creek out of Juneau is peak in July. So choose carefully.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were thinking about going at the end of May since the kids get out mid-May in FL and they have camps in June and I go back to work in July to get ready for the kids to come back first of August.

Are we going to see any animals, birds, whales, anything!?

Old July 3rd, 2005, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callajl
We were thinking about going at the end of May since the kids get out mid-May in FL and they have camps in June and I go back to work in July to get ready for the kids to come back first of August.

Are we going to see any animals, birds, whales, anything!?

Depends- where you are going?? Whales are close to 100% sightings out of Juneau or Icy Strait. For bears, there was good sightings off the Klondike Highway from Skagway, but this is usually brief and of course chance. Eagles are everywhere. You need to have a good pair of wide angle binoculars with my preference 10x50's. AND a reasonable expectation- they are never like the cruise brochures. Denali Park is the best bargain aound for land animals, later in May will get you farther into the park.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Vancover- Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway, Glacier Bay or Haines, College Fjord, Seward/Anchorage/Fairbanks then a 4 day tour through Denali. I assume we will stay in Fairbanks but don't know, McKinley Chalet, Anchorage Hotel

This is tour plan #23 with HAL- I hope it is pretty decent since I am reaching in and trying to pull something together with absolutely no experience or knowledge!

Old July 12th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Budget Queen: Does Neets Bay have glass between you and the bears or is in an outdoor observatory? I am trying to choose between that one and another. Since it says that the Neets Bay excursion is also a salmon hatchery, I am worried that we may be looking out a window at the bears. Thanks!

Old July 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM

No glass, just open views, well there was a rope reminding you not to go over the edge into the water.

Old July 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi - we went in mid-May, 2nd cruise of the season, and only saw two baby bears with their mother from the ship, very far away. No baby whales or moose or anything else juvenile. Maybe it was too early?
Norwegian Crown 10/22/06 Bermuda, Island Princess 5/14/05 Alaska, Norwegian Dawn 2/29/04 Florida/Bahamas, Carnival Inspiration 3/9/03 W. Caribbean, Pacific Princess 9/23/01 Bermuda, Celebrity Century 10/1/99 Mediterranean