cell phone straight talk ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:18 AM.
Dinwiddie va
360 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
hello
has anyone used straight talk cell phone on a cruuise or in ports ? thinking of swithing to them but wanted to know if they will work ?
thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

may all your curises be smooth
ccl Pride ..Baltimore.... oct 29th 2017
ccl Sunshine .Norfolk....oct 28th 2016
ccl Pride....Baltimore......oct 2015
ccl Pride....Baltimore.....oct 2014
ccl Pride....Baltimore......oct 2013
ccl Pride....Baltimore......oct 2012
ccl Glory....Norfolk......oct 2011
ccl Glory....Norfolk.....oct 2010
ccl Triumph...Norfolk...oct 2009
ccl Victory..Norfolk....oct 2008
ccl Victory..Norfolk....oct 2007
RLC empress..may2007
ccl Victory..Norfolk......oct 2006
cclTriumph..Norfolk.....oct 2005
ccl Victory...Norfolk.....oct 2004
ccl Victory...Norfolk.....oct 2003
ccl Triumph..Norfolk....oct 2002
29,351 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Is this different from a regular cell phone? Very expensive to use one on a ship so we lock ours away in safe for the cruise.
California
3,593 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by golfadj
Is this different from a regular cell phone? Very expensive to use one on a ship so we lock ours away in safe for the cruise.
Can't wait to lock my cell phone in the safe. When I retire, I am locking my cell phones in Davy Jones' locker!!!!

To answer OP's question, I do not believe that any prepaid companies have contracts with the company that handles cell phones on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

29,351 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by cdamion
Can't wait to lock my cell phone in the safe. When I retire, I am locking my cell phones in Davy Jones' locker!!!!

To answer OP's question, I do not believe that any prepaid companies have contracts with the company that handles cell phones on the ship.
So that is what that means.
Oregon
253 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by lnm6170
hello
has anyone used straight talk cell phone on a cruuise or in ports ? thinking of swithing to them but wanted to know if they will work ?
thanks
I would doubt they work as the cellular at sea has to be able to bill your account, and with prepaid ones I don't think you can, so I am pretty sure they won't work on the cruise ship. Not sure about in ports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Memphis
263 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Not sure of very much, but this I am sure of. I had my iPhone set on the proper Airplane mode, but did NOT turn off my data roaming. So when I picked up my cell phone while bored, 5 different times, I got the message about my data costing me $$$,and would quickly turn it off again. I still don't really understand what I did. But I paid $130 for this lesson. my data roaming is turned off, and my cell phone will be locked in the safe during the trip also!!!
How many margaritas is that???? LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Elation 4/2/16 Journey 10 day
Carnival Elation 12/3/15 2nd half of B2B
Carnival Elation 11/28/15 First B2B
Carnival Dream 5/3/2015 First Spa Balcony
Carnival Elation - 4/24/14 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Sunshine- 2/2/14
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - 9 days! 12/12/13
Carnival Elation 9/2/2013
Carnival Elation 1/31/13 PLATINUM!!!
Carnival Elation 11/26/2012
Carnival Conquest 10/7/2012
Carnival Conquest 5/6/2012
Carnival Elation 1/14/2012
Carnival Triumph 10/16/2010
Carnival Triumph 3/6/2010
Carnival Fantasy 10/13/2008
Carnival Fantasy 2/10/2007
Carnival Inspiration 11/18/2001
Grandeur of the Seas 11/29/2003
Carnival Mardi Gras- Sometime in 1986
Numerous Commodore Cruises

Gayle & Bennie
56,618 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I believe cdaimon is right. Cellular At Sea, the company that provides the satellite link for cell phones on virtually all cruise ships, bills your carrier directly for the $2.49/minute fee and the carrier passes on the charge to you. CAS would have no means of collecting their fee if your monthly limit was exceeded.

Here's a list of the roaming partners that CAS works with at this time...

AT&T
T-Mobile
O2
Vodafone
Telcel Mexico
Smart Philippines
Rogers Wireless

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
Dayton,Ohio
2,446 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
It wont work on the ship, but you will hold on to your phones signal longer, because it wont be able to switch over to the ship tower.

I have virgin Mobile and I love just paying $25 a month for unlimited web and texts Left contract phones in my rear view mirror years ago.

For ports,it depends on which ones you are visiting. Out the box mine will work in St Thomas and Puerto Rico, but since I have an andriod phone with a hot spot and an app called GrooVe IP, I can make free calls from anywhere in the world as long as I can find a free wifi signal.

With the new Carnival rate of $1.99 per min, its cheaper to use the phone in your room if you need to make a call home.
Central Texas
522 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by <3 2 Cruise
Not sure of very much, but this I am sure of. I had my iPhone set on the proper Airplane mode, but did NOT turn off my data roaming. So when I picked up my cell phone while bored, 5 different times, I got the message about my data costing me $$$,and would quickly turn it off again. I still don't really understand what I did. But I paid $130 for this lesson. my data roaming is turned off, and my cell phone will be locked in the safe during the trip also!!!
How many margaritas is that???? LOL
Put it on Airplane mode AND turn off Push. I used mine for books and games and had no problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maple Plain,MN,USA
1,014 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Host Mach
I believe cdaimon is right. Cellular At Sea, the company that provides the satellite link for cell phones on virtually all cruise ships, bills your carrier directly for the $2.49/minute fee and the carrier passes on the charge to you. CAS would have no means of collecting their fee if your monthly limit was exceeded.

Here's a list of the roaming partners that CAS works with at this time...

AT&T
T-Mobile
O2
Vodafone
Telcel Mexico
Smart Philippines
Rogers Wireless

You forgot the CDMA carriers:
Verizon Wireless
Sprint Wireless(excluding Nextel)
Alltel
US Cellular

Take care,
Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” —Mark Twain, 1857