Family Cabins on Radiance class ships

micruz

Trying to decide on a family cabin on the Brilliance of the Sea - do not know if they are similar to other Radiance class ships. The cabins vary in shape and ocean views - each with 2 windows: some with only forward facing windows, only side facing windows and then one on corner with a partial side and a forward window. Anybody sail in this type of cabin who can comment on layout and/or view???

Also, where do the superior balconies D1 add the room over the regular balcony E1/2/3?

Thank you!

Edited by micruz

hi,

I had two of these cabins on the BOS. One on deck seven and the other on deck eight. They are great rooms. The only problem we had was on deck 8. it was right next to the crew stairway and always heard the door closing through out the night.

ML

We had 8002 on the Jewel of the Seas twice. It was on the port side. Just 1 window, but it was sort of bay window with a window seat. The room had plenty of space. The side room for our son had it's own closet and dresser.

As far as our view....the window was dirty for the entire cruise so taking photos from it didn't work very well. But we did enjoy looking out for land or watching for the tenders. I found I really really missed having a balcony. Also we missed the tub from our junior suite on a previous cruise.

But as far as space goes, it was a great room.

Enjoy your cruise!

Oops, forgot to say about the D1 versus E cabins.....I was thinking that the difference might be a loveseat versus a sofa? But someone else may know better than I do.

PS: We're about an hour from you! Hello fellow Hoosier!

There are some photos of our 8002 room in the link below, but I couldn't tell you what page they are on. Look for the photo books that are New England/Canada. We did that cruise twice. I think there are room photos in both books.

Edited by Cheryl H

Oops, forgot to say about the D1 versus E cabins.....I was thinking that the difference might be a loveseat versus a sofa? But someone else may know better than I do.

There are some photos of our 8002 room in the link below, but I couldn't tell you what page they are on. Look for the photo books that are New England/Canada. We did that cruise twice. I think there are room photos in both books.

Great captures. Was that on Brilliance of the seas?

We've booked one of these rooms on Radiance for Alaska in Sept 2015. I'd love to see any other pictures anyone has. They look like great rooms!

Edited by Lost_in_BC

I don't have any personal experience with the family suites myself, but on my recent sailing I remember talking to someone on the night we sailed through a cyclone, that the rooms had a LOT of movement in rough weather. To the point people were falling out of bed! Ok, we WERE sailing through a cyclone, but the poor woman was quite sad because it was some people in her family's first cruise and she'd sung the praises of cruising and now they were all sick...

Not to put you off the rooms, but on the Radiance the family suites seem to be all right at the front and so therefore very susceptible to movement. Something to keep in mind...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not to put you off the rooms, but on the Radiance the family suites seem to be all right at the front and so therefore very susceptible to movement. Something to keep in mind...

There are at least some that aren't right up at the front. In a couple of weeks, we are going on the Serenade (also Radiance class), and we are staying in a family oceanview that is midship. It's room 1054 and is where the Concierge Lounge used to be. It has a main room and then a second small quasi-room (separated by curtains but not a wall) that has bunk beds. There's also a pull-out sofa that can sleep two. So you can get six in there total. If you search for "Radiance 1054" or "Serenade 1054" on the RCCL threads, you can find some posts with pictures. The Radiance version apparently has a small balcony. The Serenade version just has floor-to-ceiling windows. It's basically on the hump and high up, so the best place on the ship if you are looking to avoid motion sickness.

I'll post a room review after our cruise.

hi,

I had two of these cabins on the BOS. One on deck seven and the other on deck eight. They are great rooms. The only problem we had was on deck 8. it was right next to the crew stairway and always heard the door closing through out the night.

ML

What FOV room did you say in on deck 7. We have been looking for photos of 7504.

Great Photos from another fellow Hoosier!

What FOV room did you say in on deck 7. We have been looking for photos of 7504.

That's the one I'm looking for as well. I see you're cruising this year, would you mind posting pictures of your room after your cruise? I'd love to see the layout of that room. :)

That's the one I'm looking for as well. I see you're cruising this year, would you mind posting pictures of your room after your cruise? I'd love to see the layout of that room. :)

Yes I can post the photos. I always upload them all to my photobucket so that I can share individual pics.

I continue to be hesitant about the family cabins at the front on the Brilliance...worried about noise from crew stairway (light sleepers), the movement upfront (hubby & motion-sickness), and how much you can really see from the windows.

Thanks!!!

• 6 months later...

Laura,

As promised we are back and here are some photos of the FO room 7504. The room is laid out so that you first walk in and the bathroom is right in front of you with a closet to your right. The main bed is behind the bathroom and there are 2 windows that look out over the front on the ship. We had 1 pull out couch and 2 chairs. The small "children" bedroom had a single bed and a pull down (from the ceiling) bunk bed. I could not see 2 people being comfortable on the pull out couch if you were to have 6 people in the room as the website suggests it holds. It was a very nice room with the only drawback being that there was a crew door directly below the small "childrens" bedroom.

Sorry about the photos I took them as we were packing up at the end of the week!

Edited by CruiseDude_83

• 7 months later...
IMG_5185_zps2290b8d7.jpg

I see that you were able to fit the porta crib in by turning the other bed on it's side ...any problem doing this....from RCI ??? YES I know this is an old thread but looking for an answer from anyone...as we will be wanting to do this too.

Edited by Ashland

• 4 weeks later...
I see that you were able to fit the porta crib in by turning the other bed on it's side ...any problem doing this....from RCI ??? YES I know this is an old thread but looking for an answer from anyone...as we will be wanting to do this too.

No we did not have any issues from our room attendant with doing this. We had to do it on our own but they did not say anything. It was a great trip and we would stay in this room again!

No we did not have any issues from our room attendant with doing this. We had to do it on our own but they did not say anything. It was a great trip and we would stay in this room again!

Unfortunately we did ask about having the bed removed....what a hassel :eek::eek:...they finally did as the Executive Housekeeper said doing it the way you did it was a fire hazard. Sailing again in this exact cabin in September..so we'll see how it goes this time..

When did you sail? We sailed in end of May 2014. They acted like they had never encountered this situation with trying to fit the porta-crib into this 2nd sleeping area (which it can't). At that time there was only two adults and a toddler and will be the same this time. What FOV cabin were you in ? We were in the #8500 and will be again.

Edited by Ashland

Unfortunately we did ask about having the bed removed....what a hassel :eek::eek:...they finally did as the Executive Housekeeper said doing it the way you did it was a fire hazard. Sailing again in this exact cabin in September..so we'll see how it goes this time..

When did you sail? We sailed in end of May 2014. They acted like they had never encountered this situation with trying to fit the porta-crib into this 2nd sleeping area (which it can't). At that time there was only two adults and a toddler and will be the same this time. What FOV cabin were you in ? We were in the #8500 and will be again.

We stayed in Cabin 7504 on Jewel. I also didn't ask to move the bed or to have it removed I just did it. My thought was if there was an issue the would have said something. We actually had security, housekeeping, and the cruise director in our room at one point because there was a smell of cigarette smoke in our room. (It was determined that it was due to a crew area below and that they would try to watch the smoking by the door.) It just so happened that the CD came in as he just happened to walk by and he enjoyed seeing little.

With having all 4 of these people in our room they saw the bed on its side and they did not anything about it. I always say do it and ask for forgiveness latter.:D We also had 2 adults and a 1yo in the room. It was great for all of us.

We stayed in Cabin 7504 on Jewel. I also didn't ask to move the bed or to have it removed I just did it. My thought was if there was an issue the would have said something. We actually had security, housekeeping, and the cruise director in our room at one point because there was a smell of cigarette smoke in our room. (It was determined that it was due to a crew area below and that they would try to watch the smoking by the door.) It just so happened that the CD came in as he just happened to walk by and he enjoyed seeing little.

With having all 4 of these people in our room they saw the bed on its side and they did not anything about it. I always say do it and ask for forgiveness latter.:D We also had 2 adults and a 1yo in the room. It was great for all of us.

Sorry let me clarify...we only asked to have it removed after the fact. We moved the bed when my DD & DSIL realized that the porta-crib wouldn't fit..when the cabin steward came to introduce himself he saw that they had moved the bed and he "freaked" and became very rude and stormed out (they never saw this cabin steward again).

My daughter called me and I came to the cabin and called the floor superviser...she understood and saw the problem and said she would check into just having it removed..shortly a couple of crew came and removed the bed.

However the next morning a call was made and we were told that the bed would be returned. Instead the Executive Housekeeper (uniformed officer) came to the cabin and said it would be a fire hazard to return the bed and have it placed back on it's side in the sleeping area.

He assured me he was only doing this as a courtesy and this situation had never arisen before (what :eek:) never :confused:

Just looking to avoid this situation again ...what's the use of having this additional space and not being able to use it..so we'll just move the bed and deal with whatever happens next.