100% blue mountain Jamaican coffee

cruisefan23

Which port has the cheapest 100% blue mountain Jamaican coffee for sale?

We've bought it in Falmouth and got the business card from the owner of the store in the port to order more since we won't be back there for our next 2 cruises at least. We bought $100 worth in Nov and only drink it on the weekends.

In Falmouth, there's a store that's in the cruise sponsored flyer that charges considerably more. We also stopped at another store, don't remember the name that the coffee was a lot cheaper, same packaging, and we couldn't tell the difference. It was on the left hand side, and they offer a lot of liquour samples there. In fact, we got the name of the cheaper store from the port shopping representative on board. Nice thing, you don't need to leave the port village.

Edited by knittinggirl

Have not been to Jamacia for a while but in the old port always went to a nearby local small supermarket and the Blue mountain was so much cheaper there.

Love the little hessian sack it comes in.

Always said I never wanted my change in Caribbean dollars so would get nutmegs instead of the said change, some even had the mace still attached...better than any local dollars.

Asked about Blue mountain at a local coffee store when I returned and told it was hard for them to afford in UK as most was bought up by the Japanese.

Bought it once, tried it once, threw it out. Worst coffee I've ever tasted. I'll take my Trader Joe's Bay Blend any day over Blue Mountain.

I have to agree. My wife & I tried it on a few occasions from different sources, and every time, we found it way too mild/week for our tastes.

dp

I have to agree. My wife & I tried it on a few occasions from different sources, and every time, we found it way too mild/week for our tastes.

dp

You guys think maybe, just maybe the OP likes it which is why they're asking about where they can buy it?:rolleyes:

We love it, it's very smooth and if it's weak, you do know you can use more coffee....

We buy beans and grind our own. DH then experiments with amounts so we can get it to our taste. Weak or strong coffee is a matter of how much you use, not the coffee itself.

Edited by BND

I think I saw it in the liquor stores on St. Thomas and St. Martin. If you are on Jamaica, grab a taxi to Section (up in the Blue Mountains) and buy it directly from the grower. I finally gave up and order it (at about $44/lb) from a US web site (bluemountaincoffee dot com).

If you are in Puerto Rico or spot it elsewhere, their Alto Grande is very close - an Arabica bean grown at high elevations.

You guys think maybe, just maybe the OP likes it which is why they're asking about where they can buy it?:rolleyes:

We love it, it's very smooth and if it's weak, you do know you can use more coffee....

We buy beans and grind our own. DH then experiments with amounts so we can get it to our taste. Weak or strong coffee is a matter of how much you use, not the coffee itself.

Not true. A light roast coarse ground coffee (which is what the Blue Mountain that's sold in the shoreside shops is) will never develop as rich and full bodied flavor as a dark roast. Light roasts don'd bring out the essential oils in the bean. Some how adding four times as much coffee to the pot doesn't make any sense to me. Sure it will be "stronger", but it will never deliver a decent flavor profile.

I'm not a coffee drinker but I thought I saw Blue Mountain coffee in our local TJ Maxx store.

Yeah, we see that too, but it's a blend no more than 10% Blue Mountain, mixed with other beans. Nowhere near as good as the 100% real stuff.

You are correct it is sold in both TJMaxx and Marshall's without the worry of going on a cruise ship.

I don't drink coffee myself, but we bought some for our son and family. And we bought it in Falmouth, Jamaica.

And I would gladly go on a cruise to buy it, rather than getting it at a local store. Of course, when we buy it for someone, we always charge shipping and handling. :p;) Just kidding.

Gwen :)

I don't drink coffee myself, but we bought some for our son and family. And we bought it in Falmouth, Jamaica.

And I would gladly go on a cruise to buy it, rather than getting it at a local store. Of course, when we buy it for someone, we always charge shipping and handling. :p;) Just kidding.

Gwen :)

Hi Gwen! Of course buying it on a cruise is better lol

As for those who don't like it, don't drink it.

Not true. A light roast coarse ground coffee (which is what the Blue Mountain that's sold in the shoreside shops is) will never develop as rich and full bodied flavor as a dark roast. Light roasts don'd bring out the essential oils in the bean. Some how adding four times as much coffee to the pot doesn't make any sense to me. Sure it will be "stronger", but it will never deliver a decent flavor profile.

Your opinion about the roast. We happen to like light roast. We hate the burned taste of darker roasts. To each his own, but all the OP asked was where to buy it, not anyone's opinion on the taste.

Yeah, we see that too, but it's a blend no more than 10% Blue Mountain, mixed with other beans. Nowhere near as good as the 100% real stuff.

My DH has a co-worker that brings back coffee from Jamaica when she goes home for a visit. What she buys in her local neighborhood market, is much different (so she says) than what is typically sold in the 'tourist' locales.

It is pretty strong, and although we like strong morning coffee, we brew it a bit weaker (for us).

What is sold in TJMaxx and Marshall's when we choose to buy it, seems very good to us. Is it exactly what she brings back....can't say, what she brings back is in a brown bag.....seems awfully close to what she brings back (at least to us).

But if the packaging says 100 % Blue Mountain coffee, then it should be 100%Blue Mountain beans....multiple beans could still qualify as 'Blue Mountain' beans I would imagine.

Bought it once, tried it once, threw it out. Worst coffee I've ever tasted. I'll take my Trader Joe's Bay Blend any day over Blue Mountain.

I thought it was just me. Bought it years ago and did not care for it, and we drink strong coffee. Gave it to a buddy who wanted to pay is for it, we could not take his money.

I'm not a coffee drinker but I thought I saw Blue Mountain coffee in our local TJ Maxx store.

Didn't know it's a blend, glad I didn't buy any for our coffee drinking friends, thank you.

Your opinion about the roast. We happen to like light roast. We hate the burned taste of darker roasts. To each his own, but all the OP asked was where to buy it, not anyone's opinion on the taste.

True, if someone prefers bland flaccid coffee, then Blue Mountain is a good choice.

Interesting, this post has nothing to do with the OPs question. :rolleyes:

Burt

You know your coffee. The bolder roast having been roasted longer brings out the oils in the bean resulting in richer bolder taste. We never liked Blue Mountain, but it was big back in the 70s when coffee houses were just coming into vogue. I bought it in NYC at Zabors deli for $9.99 a LB which was astronomical back in the day, But whatever floats your boat. We were told by our Peat Taylor guide that the only place a Jamaican would buy it was the supermarket down about 3 or 4 blocks outside the pier area. The stuff at the shops at pier sits on shelves for far too long and is way overpriced, he said.

We are now so jaded about coffee, we will only buy Illy, (we own 3 espresso machines including Illy's Francis Francis Y2, best out there machine)but lately we tried Costcos Kirkland brand Pacific Bold for the Keurig. If you haven't tried it...you may like it.

Sorry for the high jack. But I see nothing wrong with posting opinions on coffee on a thread who mentions a specific coffee. And I did answer his question.......

Edited by BecciBoo

FWIW, I have been roasting my own coffee for ten years...

When you roast light, the flavors that make one type of coffee taste different from another don't get destroyed.

Dark roast will result in a more generic taste.That's why Starbucks overroasts their beans- they need large quantities of beans that taste the same.

Island coffees should not be dark roasted. If you like it, fine, but dark roasting any island origin bean is like taking a piece of prime grade filet mignon and cooking it well done. But, I digress...

I have bought bags of JBM coffee in the past and they are always terrible because:

1) The beans are stale. Like I said, I roast my own beans because I like fresh coffee. However, the stuff sold was real old, that is more responsible for lack of flavor than roast.

2) Is the stuff counterfeit? JBM is very expensive and you could be getting counterfeit beans. They are having problems with production, with coffee borers and leaf rust a problem. The last time I did a search, not a single green bean distributer had JBM beans for sale, with such scarcity, I find it hard to believe that all those cheap bags with "Jamaica Blue Mountain" on them, have real beans. I have maybe 1/2lb of JBM from two years ago, I guess I'll have to treasure them!

Sort of interesting that the only bag of coffee recomending refrigeration was on a bag of JBM (you never refrigerate beans as they will absorb the smells of the frig!)

So, to answer the op question, I'd say to not buy any coffee there. The disatisfaction some have for it comes from stale beans and/or fake beans or "blends".