Removing auto-tips on Cheers

Luckycruising

Before some people get agitated, let me just say that i never EVER remove auto-tips for the rest of the staff. We even give extras. However, after reading the other thread on Cheers, i would feel exactly like the other poster did, i could never order a drink and not tip generously each time. So what's the purpose of "pre-paying" them when i know i will give tips anyways? And since there are no other people left out by removing auto-tips since i'm tipping directly the person serving me, why should i pay the tips twice?

Any time you buy an individual drink, a tip is automatically added to your sign and sail card. It's been that way as long as I can remember (which isn't all that long, if we're being honest)

I assume this is why a tip is automatically added to the Cheers package, as well.

Like with the soda package, the 15% gets split among all bar staff. Keep it on and tip extra if you want to.

Is it? I thought i had read that only the servers who had served me would receive a portion of the tips (hence the swipping of the card, they know who served whom)? That's why i was questionning it. I'm not stiffing anyone by removing it, if there is something, i'm the one being fooled into paying the tips twice?

I have been told by many of the bartenders that I'm friends with that the gratuities on the Cheers package is divided between all bartenders and all bar waiters.

But since the tip is on the price of the package itself and not the cost of the individual drink the package tips are much less to each of the crew.

I usually tip $1.00 extra on the receipt and that tip goes directly to the person who served you.

I tips on the receipt go tot he bar server when they come to you and take your order and give you a drink. IF you go to a bar and get a drink, that tip is coded for the bar staff and most likely split amongst the bar tenders. The drink servers hustle for a reason.. the more drinks they can serve the more auto tips they get. I don't think they get much in other compensation. And this comes directly fro talking with a bar server.

So to the answer to the original question. the tips portion of the Cheers package is charged as a percentage of the package cost (which I am sure is calculated as a per drink cost somehow) I don't know if you are allowed to remove it. You certainly could ask. If they won't why not just leave it and tip extra knowing that they already got some tip from the package purchase?

Maybe I am misinformed but I thought you paid the 15% upfront when you bought the package? I thought the only reason that you got a receipt to sign was to keep track of the daily limit of drinks you were allowed? Im sure there is a tip line there as well but that's probably so you can add extra if you so choose? Correct me if I am wrong..

Maybe I am misinformed but I thought you paid the 15% upfront when you bought the package? I thought the only reason that you got a receipt to sign was to keep track of the daily limit of drinks you were allowed? Im sure there is a tip line there as well but that's probably so you can add extra if you so choose? Correct me if I am wrong..

You are correct.

The Cheers package gratuity averages out to .37 per drink if you purchased 15 drinks per day.

The tip on a Classic cocktail is $1.34 when purchased individually.

That's why I go ahead and tip a dollar on the receipt so it makes up for what they lost by offering the package.

I think 15% for opening a beer is ample!

When we're at a bar, and getting our own drinks (not table service), we generally tip $1 per order....that's usually 2 beers....depending on the price of the beer, $1 is more than 15% in most cases!

If we order some sort of hard-to-make fancy drink, then $2 is appropriate....but to tip $2 every time you buy a drink (and remember, 15% is added to the cost!) is overkill!

Is it? I thought i had read that only the servers who had served me would receive a portion of the tips (hence the swipping of the card, they know who served whom)? That's why i was questionning it. I'm not stiffing anyone by removing it, if there is something, i'm the one being fooled into paying the tips twice?

Every time you order a drink there is a service charge. If you add a tip you are tipping twice. They put the service charge on there for all the people who would try and stiff the bar staff and not tip at all. You can not remove the service charge. The only way you can avoid paying the service charge is by not buying anything at the bars on the ship.:D

Why people try to make tipping so complicated is beyond me. The cruise lines have simplified the process exactly so that passengers have one less thing to worry about and to ensure that their employees are tipped accordingly. Passengers don't have to waste time figuring out how much, or walk around with a stack of singles, or spend time stuffing envelopes, or removing then adding them dividing then multiplying and then adding again. :confused:

Hey, but if it makes some people happy to spend their vacation time going through this process, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I just got off the Splendor. The cheers package receipt will show the cost of the drink, then a credit for it so it shows $0.00, but there is a tip line, then new total line and then you sign. Again, you can tip extra cash if you want or add an amount to the receipt beyond the 15 percent paid on the cost of the program.

Also, at anytime you may ask for your count in case you lose track :rolleyes:

They started selling it at 6PM once we left port so any drinks purchased in port were credited to the program except for the local tax.

It worked out well for me. :)

Why people try to make tipping so complicated is beyond me. The cruise lines have simplified the process exactly so that passengers have one less thing to worry about and to ensure that their employees are tipped accordingly. Passengers don't have to waste time figuring out how much, or walk around with a stack of singles, or spend time stuffing envelopes, or removing then adding them dividing then multiplying and then adding again. :confused:

Hey, but if it makes some people happy to spend their vacation time going through this process, enjoy!

"LIKE"! My thoughts exactly.

Every time you order a drink there is a service charge. If you add a tip you are tipping twice. They put the service charge on there for all the people who would try and stiff the bar staff and not tip at all. You can not remove the service charge. The only way you can avoid paying the service charge is by not buying anything at the bars on the ship.:D

Wrong. You can remove the 15% gratuity from individual beverages. All you need to do is cross off the gratuity and total the bill accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

+1

The less I need to think about, the better.