Euros???

BIG GUY

Does anyone know if we can exchange dollars for Euros on ship? We are going to be in Martinique in Nov. Looks as though we would be better off having Euros before getting off the ship. Rates are said to be really high once on land.

You could buy some before you go or use an ATM on the island. Many cards have no transaction fee and just charge a penny or two more than the bank rate.

We've bought some from AAA. Check with your bank.

The ship exchange rates are truly outrageous.

Just checked xe.com. It's a good rate today $1.32 for a euro.

Edited by SadieN

Also, when you are traveling outside your normal area, you want to give your credit card companies notice that you are doing this travel, when, and where. Otherwise, if they notice you are not in your normal area, they can "lock" your card. Happened to me once for a $20 purchase in Mexico. Had to make a ship-to-shore call to get it resolved since it was the only card I had and it was locked so Carnival could not close out my account.

Also, when you are traveling outside your normal area, you want to give your credit card companies notice that you are doing this travel, when, and where. Otherwise, if they notice you are not in your normal area, they can "lock" your card. Happened to me once for a $20 purchase in Mexico. Had to make a ship-to-shore call to get it resolved since it was the only card I had and it was locked so Carnival could not close out my account.

American Express doesn't have a foreign travel notification requirement. Just make sure the vendor uses the correct CID # when making a purchase.

One would think if you used a MC, Visa or AmEx to purchase the cruise, that would/should be ample notification that you will be in a foreign country.

Edited by evandbob

I would not make that assumption for any of the credit card companies. I would make an explicit call and let them know of the travel. I would never make the assumption that they are aware of it. Or, you can take the chance that your card can get locked. Having been through that once, I now call.

And there will be a markup/fee associated with that transaction. Which is why I like to use the credit card with no fee. Plus, I tend to know the exchange rates for the countries visited to see what kind of deal I am getting in US dollars if I pay with cash.

BIG_GUY.. do as above.. Capital One credit cards do not have foreign exchange fees. If you have one get a PIN for it and just hit an ATM once on the island. It will be the best exchange rate you'll find. ALTHOUGH be careful not to get too many Euro's. You can use a credit card for most transactions. You would only need cash for little purchases. You might be able to get away with not having any cash and just use the card. If you do get Euro's and have them left over at the end of the day you will be charged another exchange rate to turn them back into dollars. I say use a credit card and use US dollars for the small stuff. I have to believe that they will take your $$... Just know the exchange rate so that they don't take you. might be cheaper that way instead of paying exchange rates

American Express doesn't have a foreign travel notification requirement. Just make sure the vendor uses the correct CID # when making a purchase.

One would think if you used a MC, Visa or AmEx to purchase the cruise, that would/should be ample notification that you will be in a foreign country.

The Fraud Department has no idea you purchased a cruise, hence the need to make a call (with Capitol One, all calls concerning travel outside of the US are handled by the Fraud Dept).

BIG_GUY.. do as above.. Capital One credit cards do not have foreign exchange fees. If you have one get a PIN for it and just hit an ATM once on the island. It will be the best exchange rate you'll find. ALTHOUGH be careful not to get too many Euro's. You can use a credit card for most transactions. You would only need cash for little purchases. You might be able to get away with not having any cash and just use the card. If you do get Euro's and have them left over at the end of the day you will be charged another exchange rate to turn them back into dollars. I say use a credit card and use US dollars for the small stuff. I have to believe that they will take your $$... Just know the exchange rate so that they don't take you. might be cheaper that way instead of paying exchange rates

Just a note: There is no 25 day grace period on cash advances. You will pay interest on that cash advance from day 1.