Tea making equipment

Jimsgirl

I will be staying at hotel that does not have tea maker in room. Thought I would buy a small round electrical "thingamagig from a travel store that goes into a cup and boils water.

The idea was fine in my mind, butthen I thought "Security when boarding". If I put it in my locked checked suitcase, will it cause me problem. I can understand it raising questions in my carry on, but has anyone had one of these, and carried it on in a checked suitcase.

I do not intend to use it on board, it is just for the hotel, where I do not wish to get dressed, go down into the lobby, to buy a tea from a kiosk, in order to return to the room to drink it.

Ideas most appreciated - I do have a electric pot but think that will be "over the top" for just using in the room at the hotel

I will be staying at hotel that does not have tea maker in room. Thought I would buy a small round electrical "thingamagig from a travel store that goes into a cup and boils water.

The idea was fine in my mind, butthen I thought "Security when boarding". If I put it in my locked checked suitcase, will it cause me problem. I can understand it raising questions in my carry on, but has anyone had one of these, and carried it on in a checked suitcase.

I do not intend to use it on board, it is just for the hotel, where I do not wish to get dressed, go down into the lobby, to buy a tea from a kiosk, in order to return to the room to drink it.

Ideas most appreciated - I do have a electric pot but think that will be "over the top" for just using in the room at the hotel

Hi Mrs. Jimsgirl. If you only need to use the inexpensive heating coil in your hotel room, then leave it there when you check out. But I'm not clear on whether you are talking about "security when boarding" a plane, or security when boarding the ship? Either way, my understanding that suitcases can not be locked (if you lock your suitcase, it the locks can and most likely will be broken) -S.

Addition info on locked luggage:

Approved Locks

TSA-approved locks bear either the "Travel Sentry" or "Safe Skies" logo, which is recognized by TSA screeners in the United States. These locks, sold by luggage companies and retail stores, come in a variety of colors, patterns and styles that make it easier to identify your bags at baggage claim. Combination locks have a master key lock. TSA officials have master keys that allow them access to your luggage, eliminating the need to break the lock. If the lock is broken by the TSA screener, Safe Skies and Travel Sentry will replace the lock at no cost. Both companies also manufacture luggage straps that you can use to prevent luggage from accidentally opening, which also have combination locks with a master key lock. Another alternative is either soft or hard-sided luggage with a TSA-approved lock.

copied from

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airline-rules-locked-luggage-61495.html

If you are going on a Cunard cruise surely you can make the effort to buy 1 cup of tea at the hotel !!!:)

newtoit, speaking personally, I like a cup of tea before I go to sleep. I put on my nightclothes, and then just sit quietly for a few minutes sipping a cup of tea. Certainly, I can afford to buy a cup of tea, but the trick is getting a cup of tea when I want it, the way I want it made. Just to complicate matters, I don't really wake up fully in the morning until I've had a pot of tea! Seems like such a simple thing really, all things considered (cup+tea+hot water), but getting increasingly hard to find, although we keep trying :)

Mrs. Jimsgirl, search keyword "Sunbeam Hot Shot Hot Water Dispenser". What do you think of that product? I think it would work for me, and I can't see how it would be a problem in checked luggage or used on board. -Cheers, -s.

If you are going on a Cunard cruise surely you can make the effort to buy 1 cup of tea at the hotel !!!:)
My wife always points out the posts that say. Travelling Queens Grill. Can I get a bus for £1 to London from Southampton? Or similar. Funny world.

Cheers.

Jimsgirl quite clearly says:

it is just for the hotel, where I do not wish to get dressed, go down into the lobby, to buy a tea from a kiosk, in order to return to the room to drink it.

On occasions when we want tea or coffee we pick up the phone. As we do on the ship. We feel that hotel hospitality trays or the lack of them were introduced to remove service.

Cheers.

That's what I was thinking. Seems a lot easier than lugging around kettles or visiting strange kiosks in the middle of the night.

No offence is intended, but I have not had a decent cup of tea in the USA since a trip on the Super Chief (still being operated by the Santa Fe Railway, not Amtrak) about 40 years ago - unless I have made it myself using one of those prong water heaters. Sadly, many restaurants in Canada have lost the ability to make a good "cuppa". Most hotels in Britain and a few in Canada provide kettles which can actually boil water. Those coffee makers allegedly can be used for making tea, but the resulting taste is worse than Pol Acker.

On occasions when we want tea or coffee we pick up the phone. As we do on the ship. We feel that hotel hospitality trays or the lack of them were introduced to remove service.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, there are many hotels that no longer offer room service. Of course, you can still pick up the phone, but that will only get you a dial tone, not a cup of tea!:)

Certainly, I can afford to buy a cup of tea, but the trick is getting a cup of tea when I want it, the way I want it made. Just to complicate matters, I don't really wake up fully in the morning until I've had a pot of tea! Seems like such a simple thing really, all things considered (cup+tea+hot water), but getting increasingly hard to find, although we keep trying :)

Salacia....I couldn't agree more! Affording room service is the easy part....waiting for them to finally get there is another story! Within 4 minutes of getting out of bed I can have hot water and brewing tea.....no room service anywhere has ever matched that.

I don't wait well first thing in the morning. Even my one year old puppy knows to greet me quietly and save the effusive morning hello until I sit down, hot, full tea cup in hand. Smart puppy! He learned from his "Dad".

Jimsgirl...you might want to check your hotel and see if they offer microwaves in the room. Having just come off a long trip, our motel rooms all had micros so morning tea was a snap.

I have traveled with those immersion heaters, which is what I think you mean....I have taken them onboard in checked luggage ( not to use in my cabin of course) and had no issues. They're so easy to pack I always have one for travel just in case........I NEED that fast cup in the morning!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

2013...5 months at our summer home on Cape Cod....priceless!

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

I have travelled with one of these for more than 40 years and never had a problem. The only problem I had with Cunard was with one of those colorful hammers that my daughter had when we were on the WC first sector in 2009.

Thank you so much for all your replies, had to smile at one which seems to imply I travel in the Grills, I WISH.!!

I will look into the Sunbeam thread, like some of you I am simply not "human" until I have had my cup of tea first thing, and I drink several cups through out the day. Indeed often on board I can be seen several times a day in Sir Samuels with a pot of tea.

It is not the cost of the cuppa, it is having it on hand when I NEED IT, confess I am rather like a junkie , I have GOT to have my fix.

It didn't seem that long ago on the ships of Cunard, P&O and Union-Castle - and even some that did not fly the "red duster" - that upon meeting the cabin steward(ess) for the first time the passenger was asked: "What time would you like your morning tea delivered?" There was no need to phone room service or hang a card outside the cabin. It was just assumed that passengers wanted tea in the morning. I assume those who preferred coffee were given it. On the afore-mentioned, the tea was always hot and the bags were in the tea-pots so it could be drunk immediately. A few plain biscuits were always on the tray. Only once on the QM2 have we ordered early morning tea and we were given a thermos of vaguely hot water, a few tea-bags and cups, milk, etc. The resulting concoction bore little resemblance to what I consider a good cup of tea. On all subsequent Cunard voyages my wife proved that she could, in fact, get out of bed without her cuppa. Now, if I could only persuade her of that at home. (A smiley face would be inserted here if my computer would do so.)

Archived