Booking for a trans person? Trans experience on the cruise?

pennywaltz

So I just booked a cruise with my best friend on RCL..

My best friend is trans (MTF).. her passport sadly still says Male, but her picture and name is female (female picture, female name)... When booking, I listed her gender as Male, just to make sure it matches her passport.

As a gay man, this is something I have never encountered before and wondering if any self-identifying trans person on Cruise Critics can comment how they booked and experiences on the cruise?

I know one of the ports we are stopping in (FALMOUTH) is quite conservative. So I know we will be cautious... But from talking to a few veteran cruisers, there is not much going on at that port anyway.

This is her first cruise, so I want to make sure it goes smooth as possible. Maybe, I'm just worrying for nothing. But who knows!

I think you are doing the right thing in researching your questions so your vacation goes smoothly and hopefully without issues. As for worrying about it, you can't move forward being afraid of things, but you can be prepared and understand the potential dangers.

There may be some issues with checking in, and some potential confusion on the part of some employees. I hope not, or that this is minimal and not made a big deal of.

I'm also interested to hear from someone who has actual experience with this. The organization I work for publishes an LGBT law book, and we are planning to expand the areas we cover regarding trans people. Travel law was not an area I had previously thought of, but I will suggest it when we start up the project again.

My best friend is trans (MTF).. her passport sadly still says Male, but her picture and name is female (female picture, female name)... When booking, I listed her gender as Male, just to make sure it matches her passport.

As a gay man, this is something I have never encountered before and wondering if any self-identifying trans person on Cruise Critics can comment how they booked and experiences on the cruise?

I know one of the ports we are stopping in (FALMOUTH) is quite conservative. So I know we will be cautious... But from talking to a few veteran cruisers, there is not much going on at that port anyway.

This is her first cruise, so I want to make sure it goes smooth as possible. Maybe, I'm just worrying for nothing. But who knows!

Well, I'm not sure how many transgendered persons are here on CC so I'm not sure how many like individuals will respond on this forum, but let me chime in here if that's OK. You probably should contact RCI and advise them of her situation. Her picture will be taken at embarkation and will be used to identify her as she come on and off at the ship thru the ship's on board security check point. Security verifies her photo taken with her physical appearance. I'm assuming that her profile and status as male would come up on the computer that might confuse security if they see her as female. Again, this might not be a problem/issue, but it's better to be safe then sorry. I'm sure all cruise lines have procedure for situations like hers. Just contact RCI and inquiry about any TG male/female issues. You just need to make sure you talk to the right people at RCI and not just some uninformed reservation agent...maybe a supervisor or such. As far as her on board experience - I wouldn't worry. Just be prepare for anything. No different then being on land.

Jamaica is unfortunate one of the most homophobic countries in the world. It's ingrained in their very conservation religious culture which is very typical with most Caribbean islands. I'm been to Jamaica many times and never had any problem. The country is beautiful and the people are truly friendly. However, it's a poor country and the vendors are horribly aggressive. Falmouth is a gated cruise ship port built just for RCI and you should have no problem there as it caters to most cruise ship passengers and has some shops and restaurants/bars. If you do go outside of Falmouth I would only recommend you take a RCI ship's sponsored tour. Stay within the tour group and don't wonder off by yourselves to unfamiliar areas. Other then that have a great cruise.

Edited by COMBOY

Well, I'm not sure how many transgendered persons are here on CC so I'm not sure how many like individuals will respond on this forum, but let me chime in here if that's OK. You probably should contact RCI and advise them of her situation. Her picture will be taken at embarkation and will be used to identify her as she come on and off at the ship thru the ship's on board security check point. Security verifies her photo taken with her physical appearance. I'm assuming that her profile and status as male would come up on the computer that might confuse security if they see her as female. Again, this might not be a problem/issue, but it's better to be safe then sorry. I'm sure all cruise lines have procedure for situations like hers. Just contact RCI and inquiry about any TG male/female issues. You just need to make sure you talk to the right people at RCI and not just some uninformed reservation agent...maybe a supervisor or such. As far as her on board experience - I wouldn't worry. Just be prepare for anything. No different then being on land.

Jamaica is unfortunate one of the most homophobic countries in the world. It's ingrained in their very conservation religious culture which is very typical with most Caribbean islands. I'm been to Jamaica many times and never had any problem. The country is beautiful and the people are truly friendly. However, it's a poor country and the vendors are horribly aggressive. Falmouth is a gated cruise ship port built just for RCI and you should have no problem there as it caters to most cruise ship passengers and has some shops and restaurants/bars. If you do go outside of Falmouth I would only recommend you take a RCI ship's sponsored tour. Stay within the tour group and don't wonder off by yourselves to unfamiliar areas. Other then that have a great cruise.

I know there are a lot of Gay and Lesbian cruisers... but I don't know about trans...especially on CC... That is my main concern for her.. getting on and off the ship. While her passport does say male, her appearance is female (including her passport picture). I'll send RCL an email directly and perhaps follow up with a phone call with someone.

I don't think we plan to go outside of Falmouth. I think the furthest I would go is the cruise gate. I am not only scared for her.. but myself also.. I am a bit of a flamboyant gay man :)

I think you are doing the right thing in researching your questions so your vacation goes smoothly and hopefully without issues. As for worrying about it, you can't move forward being afraid of things, but you can be prepared and understand the potential dangers.

There may be some issues with checking in, and some potential confusion on the part of some employees. I hope not, or that this is minimal and not made a big deal of.

I'm also interested to hear from someone who has actual experience with this. The organization I work for publishes an LGBT law book, and we are planning to expand the areas we cover regarding trans people. Travel law was not an area I had previously thought of, but I will suggest it when we start up the project again.

I have traveled to many interesting places over the years. And I always have to research laws about being gay etc... So might have something centralized would be nice :). Expanding coverage for trans people would be very helpful. It may be a bit of a challenge to research it.

I just want to report back on what RCCL told me. I just received a call from their resolution center today with a guy who recently researched everything for another customer.

So he told me my friend should now have any issues on the boat. For security on getting on and off the boat, dress as she want to present herself for the entire cruise during for the security photo.

They told me if anyone causes any issues on the boat report it and it will be dealt with. Contact the rep 3 weeks before the cruise and they will arrange someone to walk her onto the boat if she is concern about security issues.

They of course can't guarantee what happens in port. Was told she can use her drivers license (which says Female) instead of her passport.

I just want to report back on what RCCL told me. I just received a call from their resolution center today with a guy who recently researched everything for another customer.

So he told me my friend should now have any issues on the boat. For security on getting on and off the boat, dress as she want to present herself for the entire cruise during for the security photo.

They told me if anyone causes any issues on the boat report it and it will be dealt with. Contact the rep 3 weeks before the cruise and they will arrange someone to walk her onto the boat if she is concern about security issues.

They of course can't guarantee what happens in port. Was told she can use her drivers license (which says Female) instead of her passport.

Glad to hear this--thanks for the follow-up and the information.

My wife and I didn't have a problem in Ocho Rios in 2006 and we were pretty obviously a couple, but we didn't leave the "cruise terminal" contrived shopping area. I've been avoiding Jamica since as I didn't know about its bad rap. I wouldn't say to support Jamica beause of their issues, as it is not considered the most LGBT friendly place, but that doesn't mean you'd be unsafe. You could do a ship's tour or stay on board and enjoy the ship.

As far as self identifying trans folks, I have a hard time thinking they'd be willing to talk about it in a forum like this.

I know someone with experience that might be willing to share, email me at my name, then g6 at gmail and I'll put you in touch with her.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My wife and I didn't have a problem in Ocho Rios in 2006 and we were pretty obviously a couple, but we didn't leave the "cruise terminal" contrived shopping area. I've been avoiding Jamica since as I didn't know about its bad rap. I wouldn't say to support Jamica beause of their issues, as it is not considered the most LGBT friendly place, but that doesn't mean you'd be unsafe. You could do a ship's tour or stay on board and enjoy the ship.

As far as self identifying trans folks, I have a hard time thinking they'd be willing to talk about it in a forum like this.

I know someone with experience that might be willing to share, email me at my name, then g6 at gmail and I'll put you in touch with her.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks I just sent you an email

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Was told she can use her drivers license (which says Female) instead of her passport.

Has your friend thought about getting her passport changed before she sails so it will match the drivers license. Since DOMA fell and things are really falling nicely into place with the Federal Government side of things I don't think there should be any problem getting the Gender changed on her passport to Female since it was already legally done on the Drivers License.

I am an Immigration Officer here in the U.S. and even though the passport office is part of the State Department and not directly associated with USCIS we all work together on the same issues and also as a Lesbian Federal Employee I know that in terms of changing gender on work related documents and such it is fairly easy now especially if the Drivers License was officially changed.

When are you sailing?? If she pays the $60 expedite fee for the Passport they are very quick in getting it back.

• 4 weeks later...

Bravo to RCCL for handling this and providing an inclusive and protected environment. And kudos to you too, for making sure your friend has an awesome first cruise. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...