Hotel, Car and Parking question

melt

Hello everyone,

I have been gone from the boards for a while, but my next cruise is coming up quick and I am starting to do some real planning.

We will be in Vancouver for 4 nights before our Alaska Spirit cruise. While in Vancouver we'd like to do Whistler, Buchart Gardens, Granville Island, and Grouse Mountain. Do you recommend that we rent a car? I kind of think we should to avoid the hastle of taxi's and buses. My concern is the additional cost of hotel parking. If we have a car we don't necessarily have to be in a downtown hotel. A safe location nearby would be great. Does anyone have a suggestion of a reasonably priced hotel in a safe neighborhood that offers free parking? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Melt

You will need a car for whistler.. the drive there is unbelieve able, and living here all my life here and Vancouver Island, I am still amazed on the sights. If you drive you can stop at the view points and stop at shannon falls

http://www.shannonfalls.com/

Buchart Gardens, it a tough one. Taking a car on the ferry is pretty expensive about $45/ each way for 2 people and car. BUT it is probably about a good 1 hour bus ride from downtown to tswaseen ferry http://www.bcferries.bc.ca/ I am not sure how the bus is in Victoria, if I recall it isnt good.

Granville Island, and Grouse you can take a cab or the bus http://www.translink.bc.ca/

when at grouse you will need to check out Capalano Suspension Bridge

I think downtown the parking is $10-$15/day, if you stay out of downtown I know there are hotels with free parking.

I think if you want to tour around, renting a car might be a good idea you can get car rentals pretty cheap. I think for the cost of parking and car will be comparable to bus, taxi and even your waiting times!

Enjoy our wonderful city!

Hotels, this is what comes to mind right now I am sure there are others

Hilton Vancouver Metrotown - metrotown is in Burnaby, about 30min from downtown and VERY close to the skytrain which can bring you downtown. It is a busy part of the city, next to one of Canada's largest shopping malls. Has a large theatre at the mall, shopping (of course) and resturaunts. As for safe... I am 50/50 on that one.

Exectutive hotels, Coquitlam. We are getting further from the city now, maybe 45minutes, its save. I am partial to this hotel, this is where I am getting married! (its kinda far though)

There are also hotels in Richmond, I am not familar with that area its near the airport, and maybe 30minutes from the city.

Im not the best on this part.. maybe others can shed some light.

Archived