some info on experience in Bornholm and Klaipeda please??? I find very little

We are doing the Orient Lines cruise from Stockholm to Copenhage Aug. 13 and will be in Klaipeda and Bornholm. I can find very very little in guide books and not much here on the boards either. Has anyone been? Please give me some help as to what to see/do and how to get arouond without taking the cattle tour. Thanks so much in advance!!!:confused:

We are doing the Orient Lines cruise from Stockholm to Copenhage Aug. 13 and will be in Klaipeda and Bornholm. I can find very very little in guide books and not much here on the boards either. Has anyone been? Please give me some help as to what to see/do and how to get arouond without taking the cattle tour. Thanks so much in advance!!!:confused:

We were in Klaipeda last year and I would recommend just walking around the Old Town. My notes from last year:

Klaipeda: easy 10 min walk into town. Good shopping for Amber and lines or wood items. Big welcome for us (first big ship ever!) from the town and lots of local came to see the ship. Welcome party on the pier with music and dancers. Rather small Old Town with not as much to see as Riga or Tallinn. Easy money change at bank. We decide against 8 hour Curonian Spit tour which would have consumed entire stay and opted instead for Palanga Museum Celebrity tour ($49 each). Reading Eddie's notes, we would have done better just getting a taxi with English speaking driver instead of the 4 hour tour. Walked and shopped in Old Town in the morning.

It's an easy walk into the main area of Klaipeda from the pier. You can stroll along the Dane River toward a crafts fair by the bridge on Tiltu gatve. There are restaurants and pubs, plus the Meridianas, a restaurant ship adjacent to the crafts market. Yes, the vendors take US$.

At the pier, locals will provide you with "Discover Klaipeda" tour booklets. However, try www.klaipeda.lt for additional information.

Places/things of interest include Klaipeda University Botanical Park, Maritime Museum and Aquarium, Castle Museum, and of course sampling the local beers.

Last year we went to Palanga and enjoyed the walk in the park and Amber Museum.

Darcy

Take the lokal busses from the Ferry Terminal in Rønne (the main town on Bornholm) and explorer the Island on your own.

There are the one day tickets that also include free intrance to museums and other things.

Take the bus that goes north to Hasle for som good fish restaurants and also the twin towns Sandvig-Allinge and the nearby Hammershus Castle Ruin.

But Bornholm is all about the nature with the cliffs and sandy beaches and the round churches.

goldengirl4ever...

I'm just back from the Baltic cruise.

You are right...not much information on Klaipeda.

We did a tour for 15.

Went to the Amber Museum, which I would probably not recommend.

However, the grounds ...(walking to the museum) were beautiful. Ponds & swans and baby ducks, etc...

dave has given a good description of Bornholm--quiet, quaint and easy port stop--we visited there last summer.

Dave: great pics and impressive layout! Well done to you and your DW! I'll have to post a my photo of the bright blue boat at Bornholm-glad to see it is still afloat and pleasing tourists!!!

Welcome home, BTW!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from the Marco Polo Baltics cruise and visited Klaipeda twice - I was on 2 weeks of the rearranged schedule because of the StP G8 summit (11-15 July). I loved Klaipeda! I would recommend the tour called Village Life in Lithuania - it is a half day so still have free time in the old town afterwards. The tour is not at all 'contrived' but is visiting a real ex-soviet community and the property of two of the residents who have now diversified from farming as a necessity. One is a sculpture artist - throw a pebble in his Millennium Clock! and his wife makes beautiful jewellery, and the tour is rounded off with a visit to the ex British Attache to Lithuanian who has married a local woman and welcomes you into their home and provides drinks, snacks and conversation about any topic!

The old town has a tourist info office in the main street where use of the internet is so cheap if you buy postcards (as I did) they didn't charge me!

If you would rather see the beautiful golden sand then take the ferry next to the cruise ship terminal - you need local currency - 1.5Lits - to the spit the other side of the water and walk around their nature reserve and to the beach that stretches as far as you can see.

Hope this is helpful, enjoy - I did !

Ronne was the last day of the 2 week cruise and I was exhausted so just strolled into the old town and had a coffee and went back on the tender.

Carol.

The old town has a tourist info office in the main street where use of the internet is so cheap if you buy postcards (as I did) they didn't charge me!

If you would rather see the beautiful golden sand then take the ferry next to the cruise ship terminal - you need local currency - 1.5Lits - to the spit the other side of the water and walk around their nature reserve and to the beach that stretches as far as you can see.

Carol.

Just another idea!

We hired bikes from the tourist office to get around the old town, we took them across on the ferry to the spit, where there are miles and miles of cycle tracks, walks and beautiful beaches, the spit stretches out for about 50km.

Alan

Archived