Civitavecchia train station

Swice

At first I was planning to use a transfer service from Rome to the cruise port (four passengers = 100-euros).

But it appears our hotel in Rome is one block from the main train station (Termini). We could easily walk a block with our rolling luggage. From what I can understand, train tickets are 5-euros.

My question: How far is the ship (HAL Westerdam) from Civitavecchia train station?

25 euro per person from Rome to the port is a great price.

Civitavecchia, the port for Rome, is a huge commercial port that can handle up to six cruise ships at the same time. Lines and ships do not have permanently assigned berths and while they are "assigned" ahead of time, the port authority can change the berth if needed.

A ship can be located as close as a mile on foot from the train station or as far as two miles.

At Civitavecchia, there is an alternative to walking:

You can take a local bus from the train station to the main port gate/staging area. Tickets are 2 euro per person and can be purchased inside the train station.

When you are dropped off at the main gate/staging area on Via Turco, you can then get a FREE port shuttle directly to your ship. These shuttles cycle regularly; look for one with the name of your ship on it.

The cost of the train is cheap but as noted above, factor in:

-- long walk inside Termini station to the track where the regional train departs for Civitavecchia (at least another block or so)

-- likelihood of alighting in Civitavecchia and having to bring all luggage down one flight of steps and up another in order to cross the track

-- need to load and unload your luggage from two additional buses

If you travel light and are in good shape, it's fine and yes it can save some money.

Is the 100 E for a private limo to the port?

With 4 you might need a van due to luggage

It cost my group of 6 ...165 E in a van

I would grab the 100E ride if I were you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To reemphasize one of cruise moms points. It may only be a block to Termini from your hotel but it is then at least that far if not longer to the track where the Civitavecchia regional departs. You will also have a distance to go at the end of your trip. It can be done, but 100€ for 4 is not a bad deal

Agree that €100 for 4 is a very good deal. Check that this is really for 4 pax and x pieces of luggage !

're Civitaveccia train station.

All but 1 platforms will require you to drag your bags down and up long flights of stairs. No lifts or escalators (at least not in 2015). Lots of Italian station staff are watching you struggle but won't lift a finger.

Also, as this is a commuter train, don't count on a lot of room for your luggage on the train. (and be prepared to cop some possible nasty looks and abuse from the locals for taking up too much space )

;)

After that it's not difficult.

Walk from station to port gate is easy and straight forward. Takes perhaps 15 minutes. Just turn right as you exit the station. Port gate cant be missed.

From there , a free shuttle bus will gake you to the correct pier.

Apparently there is a local bus from the station to the port gate, but it must be very infrequent. Never seen a moving bus. Never seen a taxi there either.

Oh, and just near the port gate, on the beach promenade, there is a giant Marilyn Monroe - like statue kissing a sailor. Good fun!

Edited by buchhalm
Added info

Good information:

We travel a lot-- my two teenage boys were "trained" at an early age to wheel and carry baggage. ...So the effort is not a big deal.

Yes, 100-euros is a good price... but I figure I the local train gives them/us a more flavorful experience... and so what if it take a little bit longer and if I save 75-euros, why not? We'd just end up waiting at the port for HAL to let us on, right?

we have done this trip - Rome to the port numerous times by train and we manage our bags. Once at the port there are numerous options to get to the pier. Taxi, bus, walk and shuttle. First time we thought about taking the shuttle but the line was long so we walked. Last year we also were going to take the bus but couldn't find any buses at the time, and no taxis around and we decided to walk again. All you have to do is walk to the port gate and you are directed to appropriate ship's bus.

I have written about each day here: http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2015/10/sunday-october-25-rome-to-civitavecchia.html

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2016/11/travelling-to-port-of-civitavecchia.html