Recommendation for Lisbon

Oceanbabyblue

I've just booked a Transatlantic Seabourn cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon in April. This is our first time in Lisbon. Wonder any of you may have any recommendation on experiences, good food, hotel/resort/country house...in Lisbon? Thinking to take a river cruise but not sure if there'll be any river cruise at that region? And which river cruise/company is good? Would be interested in what you guys have experienced.:rolleyes:

The Pestana Carlton Palace is a gorgeous hotel (an old palace) but it is a little far out of town. It is very near where the Seabourn ships dock. We walked down last time and watched the QM2 go out - she had docked next to us (the Pride) that morning.:o

Lisbon, Portugal is a wonderful city!! I fell in love immediately.

You can pretty much do the "City Tour" in half a day. Seabourn offers one post-cruise for about $50, it's quite nice and get you aquianted with things. They drop you off at Le Meridien, which I reccomend if you like an upmarket modern hotel.

http://www.lemeridien.com/portugal/lisbon/hotel_pt1604.shtml

If you plan to do any walking in Lisbon, I highly recommend bringing some sensible shoes as it's all cobblestone and very hilly!

Having already done the "city", we will be staying at the Praia Del Rey Marriott resort 40 mins north of the city in March:

http://www.marriottpraiadelrey.com/index_flash.cfm

I'm not sure about River cruises, but it sounds like fun!

Have a great trip! :)

Another fabulous hotel is The Albatroz in Cascias (a small fishing village near Lisboa) The hotel will arrange pick-up/drop off also.

Beautiful, "picture postcard property."

Check it out on their web-site. The P.R. is a lovely lady named, Luz.

We already have luncheon reservations in their dining room for March 28th.

Happy Sailing!

Martita

Spring Legend Crosser's.....if any of you need a car/driver for May 5th, in Lisbon, please post! We have used our driver for 4 years and he is THE best! His name is Miguel Conde.......I phoned him this week and made our reservations for March 28th and April 9th......

Will be happy to share this information!

Martita B.

I was in Lisboa this past May(via HAL Prinsendam) - I agree it is a wonderful city. I walked most of the way - but they do operate those hop on/ off buses. This seemed a very good way to get an overview of the city. Don't miss the Tower of Belem!

One cab driver offered me an orange he grew in his backyard....the best I've had on years! Beautiful flowers.& people.

Yes - they are handy, but be careful, there are a few different operators and you have to make sure you "hop" on the right bus! :D

You are right Matt! We had great luck with the (crowded) busses, but I understand others did not! :D

Host Dan

You are right Matt! We had great luck with the (crowded) busses, but I understand others did not! :D

Host Dan

Dan, the ones we used weren't crowded at all....... interesting considering we were there at the same time. It must have been a different time of day.

Dan, the ones we used weren't crowded at all....... interesting considering we were there at the same time. It must have been a different time of day.

Actually we experienced the crowds at "rush hour". Everyone was headed home after work!

Host Dan

If I can get accomodations I would like to stay at Borges Miss M's hotel . The location is grrrreat !!!!!! I wanted to ask Miss M if they had a concierge or someone who could arrange a shuttle to the airport home . I will probably be having to depart the hotel at 4:00 a.m. for a 6:00 a.m. flight. I will need a way to get to the hotel will there be taxis at the pier ? The location is wonderful there and I want to get the atmosphere of Lisbon. Everytime I pull it up on Expedia it is always booked !!!!!!

John, yes there are plenty of taxis or you can arrange a private car to pick you up at the pier while you are on the crossing. As far as the 4AM transit to the airport, if your hotel doesn't a shuttle, they will most certainly arrange a taxi for you. FYI, Lisbon airport is quite confusing so be prepared.

What is booked everytime you pull it up on Expedia? :confused:

Sorry I realized that it did not say the hotel name . I looked up Borges Hotel where Miss M recommended and it is always booked. The location is superb , but I have to decide if I want a pool and spa etc. and less of a location to walk from . Traveling solo and trying to manage 3 suit cases and a carry on is hard to do so it is nice to have transportation waiting. There is a possibility that I could change the voyage to the 24 day Central America one if I don't get my dividend miles ticket . Rather than buy a more expensive plane fare I would just pay it for more Seabourn days !!!:)

Spring Legend Crosser's.....if any of you need a car/driver for May 5th, in Lisbon, please post! We have used our driver for 4 years and he is THE best! His name is Miguel Conde.......I phoned him this week and made our reservations for March 28th and April 9th......

Will be happy to share this information!

Martita B.

Martha, we are going to be on the Silver Cloud doing the Lisbon to Genoa sailing the end of April and will be overnighting in Lisbon. Could you please email me Miguels information? dails2@charter.net

Thanks Martha! Hope to one day do a crossing with you!

John III,

The Borges Hotel is a grrrreat place to stay in Lisboa. We've stayed there for 3 yrs.....in the center of Lisbon. VERY inexpensive!

Info: call Reservations MG Mr. Fernando Abreu

351 213 461 951 FAX: 351 213 426 617

The hotel is located on Rua Garret Only 96 rooms (ask for a room on the 2nd floor as they have small balconies overlooking the cobblestoned street)

Wonderful restaurants on either side of the hotel. Shopping on the Blvd. is within a block.

Happy New Year!

MB

We are tentatively booked at olissippo castelo - found it on the venere website - didn't know anything about lisbon but it was supposed to be good and centrally located. we are planning three days there and then not sure what to do until we leave on April 6. Suggestions?

I'm on my way to Neiman's to buy pink stuff:)

Genie, I remembered I had this information for a driver/car-Lisbon. The Company is: Tours For You www.toursforyou.pt/

Request either Rita or Orville

Staying in Portugal for a few days after disembarking the Pride, you will surely want a qualified driver.......J.B. and I stayed a few days last March in Lisboa and traveled a 'round Portugal. Fabulous country! Don't miss Obidos, Sintra or Cascais. (stop by and have a cocktail at The Albatroz Hotel in Cascais--unbelievably beautiful)

Martita B.

Thanks Miss M !!! I pulled up the pics on a travel site and it looks like the dining room has a light fixture like I have in my new house so I know that they have good taste !!!:) French Empire style !!! Would I want to stay in Cascais for a couple of days or just take tours to that area ? I'm trying to decide even though it won't be for a while !!!

John, the Borges Hotel is NOT a luxury hotel. The 1st time we all stayed, we wanted to stay simply with "the Portugese" in the City Center. The location can not be better.....within a block there are very good inexpensive restaurants and shopping. Many Europeans stay here. If you would like an upscale Hotel, then The Albatroz in Cascias would fit "the bill".........it's a fabulous small boutique hotel. I have good friends that stayed here (American dining plan) for three days before their Cruise, in Nov........they LOVED it!

When is your voyage......I have forgotten! I must have aged a year last night!! hahaha

MB

I am like yourself I want to stay where I can get the " flavor" of Portugal . The Fodors guidebook recommends Borges for " Fashionistas ." I can take my Grayline tours from there. Will they help me get a cab back to the airport ? My flight will probably leave at 6:00 a.m. I don't go until next year :-( BUT I am planning now !!! The dining room does look like it has a French Empire chandelier like mine in the entry and great room :) Thanks Miss M !!!

John........Happy 2006!

The 'lit Borges has a charm to it......next door is "The Cafe A Brasileira", world famous coffee house. I would reccommend that you contact our driver Miguel (very dependable) and hire him to come take you to the Airport. I am always nervous as to early departures!

I know you are enjoying your new home!!!

Cheers!

MB

Archived