What is the Differences Between Interior Rooms?

Teacher_91

I was studying the deck plan of the STAR and I notice some interior rooms are labeled II, I, J, or K. What is the difference other than the decks they are on?

Also, when doing my pricing my TA didn't offer me anything but a "K" interior room, "EE" ocean view, or "BD" Balcony.

The Mr. & I aren't really picky about where we sleep and shower, but I am curious and it might be helpful to know for future bookings. ...Yes, I'm pretty sure we'll be doing future books and we haven't even sailed yet! :D

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

I was studying the deck plan of the STAR and I notice some interior rooms are labeled II, I, J, or K. What is the difference other than the decks they are on?

Also, when doing my pricing my TA didn't offer me anything but a "K" interior room, "EE" ocean view, or "BD" Balcony.

The Mr. & I aren't really picky about where we sleep and shower, but I am curious and it might be helpful to know for future bookings. ...Yes, I'm pretty sure we'll be doing future books and we haven't even sailed yet! :D

It's possible that your TA has promotional rates on those cabin categories. However, it's professional for your TA to tell you that up front so you don't wonder why. :)

There are several non accessible inside cabins that are larger than the rest. On the Star I believe they are Cat II cabins A507, A508, A514 and A515 and Cat J cabin C106. I don't have photos but you can do a search.

Like real estate, the difference is location. Most people feel that cabin toward midship and on higher decks are better.

With that in mind, this pricing is based on what the cruise lines feel is most desireable. It may be most passenger's priority, but not all of them. You should decide for yourself what is more important to you: i.e. a lower deck near an elevator...or a top deck down a long hallway; a deck that is all cabins or one that is not.

Some also think that a higher priced "inside" cabin automatically means a better cabin, but really they are mostly all the same, with few exceptions.

There are several non accessible inside cabins that are larger than the rest. On the Star I believe they are Cat II cabins A507, A508, A514 and A515 and Cat J cabin C106. I don't have photos but you can do a search.

Here are some pictures of that type cabin

2970765410016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

2356893840016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

2673007400016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks everybody for all the great information & pictures! :)

I guess I should have asked more questions when I booked. I was just so "gung ho" about getting the booking done. I was also working with a TA I'd known personally (but not used professionally) for many years, so I guess I was just going with what she told me. I'm sure whatever cabin the Mr. & I end up in will be fine. We don't expect to spend much time there. :p

When I book our next cruise (and yes, even though we haven't even sailed yet, we are thinking about our next cruise :D), I'll ask more questions!

• 2 months later...

Wow, are these updated pictures? This interior looks so different from the other interior pics I've seen. We have an interior on the Caribbean Princess and I really hope it looks like this in particular. It seems like so much more room!

The JJ inside cabins do have a slightly different configuration in as much as they appear to be longer than the J cabins and you get a bit more standing space. We always opt for the JJ and visitors often comment on the difference between ours and theirs Also SOME cabins will not have the ability to have a double bed in the CENTRE of the cabin but attached to one wall and this is awkward for some people. Your TA should have explained this to you I would ensure with your next conversation with her that you are not penalized with one of the wall attached cabins if that would makes difficulties.

Thanks for posting these. I booked one of these for the 28 day R/T South Pacific cruise!!!!!! I couldn't swing a balcony going solo so I went for this. It looks much more comfortable than the regular inside and a great location.

Thanks everybody for all the great information & pictures! :)

I guess I should have asked more questions when I booked. I was just so "gung ho" about getting the booking done. I was also working with a TA I'd known personally (but not used professionally) for many years, so I guess I was just going with what she told me. I'm sure whatever cabin the Mr. & I end up in will be fine. We don't expect to spend much time there. :p

When I book our next cruise (and yes, even though we haven't even sailed yet, we are thinking about our next cruise :D), I'll ask more questions!

Don't beat yourself to roughly over this. As a beginning cruiser you won't even know what questions to ask, but your TA should have been more upfront with the whys & whatfores to a virgin cruiser.

Be careful of triple (black triangle) or quad (red circle) occupancy cabins shown on deck maps which have the extra berths partially sticking out of the wall based on the photos I've seen on this board.

yes, those cabins are for bookings of three to four persons for that cabin. Hopefully you won't get one of them if there's just two of you, but there's always the possibility especially if you're going while school is normally in session and there's less families.

The beds would be configured differently (split up), with the extra beds that come out of the ceiling or the wall when needed. If you do get one of the extra capability cabins, you can request the beds be moved together.

As others said, location may determine the subcategories (and price). Make sure your TA tells you where the cabins are, and then look at the deck plans (you can look online at Princess.com) and look to see what's on the deck below and above in the same location. Be sure to tell the TA not to accept an upgrade unless you can find out where the new cabin is before agreeing to the change. Not all upgrades are good ones.

It could be that the TA may not want to have overwhelmed you with lots of choices, but could have explained that.

Wow, are these updated pictures? This interior looks so different from the other interior pics I've seen. We have an interior on the Caribbean Princess and I really hope it looks like this in particular. It seems like so much more room!

These pictures only apply to the very few cabins (5) such as R515 which are shown on the ship map as horizontal to the hallway.

You disclosed the super secret cabins!:mad:

In all seriosity, they are somewhat larger, but I prefer them for their superior layout. The center "island" offers separation of the dressing and "bedroom" areas. And the closets have real "DOORS"!:p

BTW: Other "Grand/Crown" class ships have six of these cabins on Aloha or Riviera deck. They're easily identified on the deck plans.

Here a few more more photos from Crown Princess:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

Archived