What RCCL ship is to replace Monarch in LA?

Since the Monarch is moving from California to Florida in October, does anybody know what ship is taking it's place? We would be very surprised if RCCL doesn't put something in it's place for the short Mexico cruises out of L.A. We were never all that happy with the Monarch, but if something better was coming soon.... Sure would be handy to sail out of L.A.

Thank you!

Craig & Joyce

As of right now there is no replacement for the Monarch out of LA when she repositions to Florida. :(

Hopefully RCI will see that there's a short cruise market on the left coast and give us a ship for the 3/4 night cruises.

We're off on the Monarch on Monday and I'll ask if there's any update on a replacement when she leaves for Florida.

RCCL claims to be losing money on the 3/4 night Mexico run. Even though the Monarch is frequently sold out, RCCL has priced the cruise below the competition (Carnival) thus they claim to lose money. TA's are furious that there will be no repalcement for the Monarch. Although the TA's commissions are low due to the low cost of the cruise, they look at it as a first step into the 7 night or longer cruise which generates a larger commission. I would think RCCL would look at it the same way.

I'm not a big Carnival fan, but I think RCCL just gave them the bank!

Just got off the Monarch today. Rumor has it that there will be a replacement, hopefully it will be announced soon, and hinted that it may be a Voyager class (in addition to the Mariner!). Let's hope it's true!!!

Can you give us a little review of your trip?

No problem, I'm at work and don't feel like doing anything . . . so . . .

Embarkation - smooth as glass. Got to the port at about 11:30 and was on board by noon. Same friendly and attentive staff :p ; same food in the Windjammer :( . However, I do fancy the honey stung chicken!

We got a great deal on a deck 9 superior OV. Nice, bigger room. It was toward the aft so we used the rear elevators most of the time. They were not as crowded as the main lifts - definite plus. There were some nice, subtle changes on board. They finally changed the production showtime!!!! Although we did not opt to go see it, it was nice not to see the same old show being offered. They changed the movie channels on TV. Instead of two channels each offering a different movie all day, there are two channels that rotate movies all day. Each channel had about 8 different movies. The Schooner Bar is now smoke free.

The dining room menu is still the same, but our wait staff was awesome. Stanny (waiter) and Collins (asst.) were fabulous. Head waiter Sheldon (dial 1-800-Sheldon) was great. He remembered us from our last trip in June 07. He also arranged for us to have creme brulee on Sunday night!!!!! We felt special and the creme brulee was awesome! First time I've ever overtipped a head waiter!

The ship was not full, which was also nice. The venues were not that crowded (other than the Quest). It rained pretty much all weekend and despite the fact that there were about 12 die hards (must live in North Dakota) at the pool instead of the usual hundreds at the pool, the ship did not feel crowded. The staff did a nice job of keeping everyone entertained. I cannot say enough about the crew of the Monarch. Friendly and helpful!

Since we had a larger room we spent more time there. A few midday siestas were taken! Our stateroom attendant, however, was a bit lacking. She kept forgettign to refill our ice bucket and leave us the compasses. It took until Saturday night to get our Platinum goodies (and then it took me asking twice for them). She claimed the manifest showed us a gold, despite having "platinum member" on our seapass cards. She said to talk to the LA; when we did he said to tell her to read her manifest! All I wanted was my nice comfy robe! (In know, it's those whinny platinum members again.)

It rained all day in Ensenada. We took the winery tour which turned out to be perfect for a rainy day. It was an hour long bus ride to two wineries. The first one had much better wines, but the second one had fabulous atmosphere. You got to go down into the aging caves among the barrels.

Debarkation - We were off the ship before 8:00 a.m.! We were in the Windjammer having breakfast and saw people loading up their cars and heading out by 7:15! They made the express debarkation announcements by 7:30, and called the white tags shortly thereafter. There was no back up (which is usually the case) for immigration. We walked right into the buidling and only had two people in line ahead of us. Had the truck loaded up and out of the lot by about 8:10.

Overall it was a great, relaxing trip.

Just off Monarch's New Years cruise. This issue was constantly on my mind and I talked to many staff members to find out if there are any rumors. The overwhelming response (and obviously the company canned reply) was that Mariner was coming to LA. I replied that it is replacing Vision, not Monarch. That was all most people would say.

I booked a future cruise while on board and the future cruise consultant said that he worked for RCI for over 18 years and could not believe that RCI would not eventually have a 3 and 4 day ship for the LA market. He mentioned what we all know.....that it is a great way for RCI to introduce new customers to the RCI product in particular and cruising in general.

I thought Monarch was great except for the tiny cabins. The ship was in great shape and this ship has been mentioned many times on this board as having one of the best crews in the fleet. They were all very friendly.

Can you tell I liked this cruise?

You know someone from Royal Caribbean's corporate office pays close attention to this board. Hey RCI, how about a replacement for Monarch soon, okay????

So far I've heard Adventure, Enchantment and Rhapsody as possible replacements. So I guess we'll just have to stay tuned!

I vote for Adventure! How great would it be to have two Voyager class ships sailing out of LA?

Just got off the Monarch today. Rumor has it that there will be a replacement, hopefully it will be announced soon, and hinted that it may be a Voyager class (in addition to the Mariner!). Let's hope it's true!!!

Another Voyager class doing 3/4 besides Mariner. No way, that cannot be realistic. You already have Mariner in California, the Adventure in San Juan and Explorer in New Jersey, no way they will remove those 2 ships, and then 2 ships, Voyager and Navigator in Europe, which seem to make money, and Europe is doing really good, so I can't see them taking one of those out either unless they replace on Voyager class in Europe with the Independence on 09, which I can't see since they will have all ships there in 08.

So I really can't see that happen, and I don't want to see that happen. I would hate for them to waste a Voyager class ship on 3/4 night Itineraries.

I'm voting for a Vision class ship - they're large enough to have a few more entertainment options (assuming that the beancounters don't get rid of all such things:rolleyes: ) yet not so large that I'd feel that I need to run around like a crazy woman to do everthing in a short period of time.

Another Voyager class doing 3/4 besides Mariner. .

I may not be reading your post correctly but the Mariner is not doing 3/4 it's doing 7 days only

For the record, I don't care what ship they bring to do 3/4 dayers, just bring something

I'm voting for a Vision class ship - they're large enough to have a few more entertainment options (assuming that the beancounters don't get rid of all such things:rolleyes: ) yet not so large that I'd feel that I need to run around like a crazy woman to do everthing in a short period of time.

Can we agree with a Radiance Class Ship Jean? I love the Specialty Restaurants :D

###

The chances are slim to none that another ship will replace the 3/4 Nights of the Monarch.

It really doesn't pay off to have a Radiance Class or Voyager Class ship do 3 Nighters on a year round basis.

With the Sovereign and the Empress leaving the fleet the only option would be a Vision Class ship. The Enchantment is out though since she is repositioned to Colon, Panama.

I guess the Mariner must do for a while. Sorry.

One of the biggest reasons I here of people picking CCL over RCCL on the 4 day is the stop in San Diego. Most would rather be at sea than in port at San Diego. When we do the 4 day for a get-away, we stay on board there.

RCCL really should keep a 3-4 day ship in San Pedro. Any ship!!

The rumor that I heard a couple of weeks ago from an RCI person in Miami is that the Vision will not go to Santo Domingo and will instead stay in L.A. and sail 4/5 day itineraries like Carnival's Elation does now from San Diego.

That would be a nice option too!

###

The Mariner is replacing the Vision which does a 7 nighter out of San Pedro.

###

I'm sorry, it was my mistake. What I meant was, another Voyager class doing Mexican Riviera besides Mariner (which i know is doing the 7 nights replacing Vision), which would do 3/4 nights.

My guess is that if they do replace it, it will be a different vision class or maybe even radiance class , but where would they get the ship?

Nope, not a Vision class. I asked the LA this weekend, sort of ran my theories by him as he would not come right out and say it, if it was a Vision class. He said no, a Voyager class!!

My guess is that we'll have to wait until Genesis comes out and then we'll pick one up. So we may not have 3/4 day cruises until 2009. Well, it's only next year and I can save my $$$ to book a JS or GS, or just go on several cruises vs. one!

One of the biggest reasons I here of people picking CCL over RCCL on the 4 day is the stop in San Diego. Most would rather be at sea than in port at San Diego. When we do the 4 day for a get-away, we stay on board there.

RCCL really should keep a 3-4 day ship in San Pedro. Any ship!!

LOL! I actually chose RCCL over Carnival BECAUSE of the extra port stop in San Diego - and I am a Southern California native.

I would rather tour the Midway, shop at Horton Plaza, or take the whale watching tour than spend an extra day at sea.

To each their own. :)

Archived