st. Maarten Le galion taxi question

hunan6

cruising on oasis to st. Maarten in June. I am planning on getting a taxi for nine people to Le Galion for a few hours. How easy will it be to get a return back to phillipsburg?

cruising on oasis to st. Maarten in June. I am planning on getting a taxi for nine people to Le Galion for a few hours. How easy will it be to get a return back to phillipsburg?

This is very difficult to answer. There is only one restaurant/water sports rental/chair rental etc and they are officially on borrowed time from what I recall reading so they may be gone by June.

Personally, I would not go to this beach if there was not a restaurant and facilities up and running. It's a lovely spot but there have been issues with car breaking ins and cars stolen.

Just remember that they are closed on Mondays in low season may-oct if they are still operating.

If the restaurant is still up and running they will call you a taxi. With a fare of 9 people in June you actually could get lucky and arrange for the driver to come and pick you up and pay him upon return to the port. That would be the best IMO.

This is very difficult to answer. There is only one restaurant/water sports rental/chair rental etc and they are officially on borrowed time from what I recall reading so they may be gone by June.

Personally, I would not go to this beach if there was not a restaurant and facilities up and running. It's a lovely spot but there have been issues with car breaking ins and cars stolen.

Just remember that they are closed on Mondays in low season may-oct if they are still operating.

If the restaurant is still up and running they will call you a taxi. With a fare of 9 people in June you actually could get lucky and arrange for the driver to come and pick you up and pay him upon return to the port. That would be the best IMO.

Very good advice - Le Galion is out of the way - without a lot of taxis waiting for fares. Aside from making firm arrangements with a driver(s) - you might explore the possibility of renting a large enough van for the day.

I went there a couple of years ago and I was nervous hoping the taxi would return. It happened to be a Monday and there was nothing open there so I wasn't sure what I was going to do ! Thankfully - I did tip the taxi drive nicely when he dropped us off and he did come back right on time. Risky - I would not do it again if there was no where that I could call a taxi from.

I went there a couple of years ago and I was nervous hoping the taxi would return. It happened to be a Monday and there was nothing open there so I wasn't sure what I was going to do ! Thankfully - I did tip the taxi drive nicely when he dropped us off and he did come back right on time. Risky - I would not do it again if there was no where that I could call a taxi from.

There is a Butterfly Farm a 5 minute walk away and the main road to Orient is there as well so getting stuck is not really an issue IF you are aware of that.