Contradictory packing advice!

GlamorousGirl

OP's cruise is probably over by now (it was set to start March 20) but it did remind me of my first cruise, two years ago now. I couldn't count the number of times I read the following line:

"Pack your suitcase. Now open it back up and remove half the clothes."

Or this one:

"Take half the clothes and twice the cash."

So I tried to follow this advice, and I ended up having to wash clothes in the sink of my very small cabin by about day three.

Internet collective wisdom can be useful, but you don't have to follow it off a cliff. And keep your own personal preferences in mind. (In my case ... I really don't like re-wearing clothes, especially after they've been exposed to smoke or restaurant smells, and I should have been more cognizant of that.)

Lot's of good advice - but some was off the mark. OP was driving to the port - so "packing light" is imposing a needless restriction. With baggage handlers at the terminal and loading and unloading your car in your own driveway there is no reason to not bring enough for several changes per day.

As with everything else, context counts- if you are flying, or having a pre-or post-cruise activity, packing light might be a good idea - but a needless exercise in OP's case.

Internet collective wisdom can be useful, but you don't have to follow it off a cliff. And keep your own personal preferences in mind. (In my case ... I really don't like re-wearing clothes, especially after they've been exposed to smoke or restaurant smells, and I should have been more cognizant of that.)

Agree completely. Everyone has different preferences and tolerances. There is no right or wrong answer here.

I hear p we look we talk about "travel friendly" clothes. Where do you usually purchase them

TravelSmith and Magellans are two stores I know of that specialize in travel clothing. Here are some links:

https://www.travelsmith.com/

https://www.magellans.com/

Of course, I would also search Amazon, where you could probably find stuff for less money than the two stores listed above.

Happy shopping! ;)

TravelSmith and Magellans are two stores I know of that specialize in travel clothing. Here are some links:

https://www.travelsmith.com/

https://www.magellans.com/

Of course, I would also search Amazon, where you could probably find stuff for less money than the two stores listed above.

Happy shopping! ;)

They do "specialize" in travel clothing, but the primary difference between the things they carry and what can be found at pretty much any retailer is the higher price which their specializing "justifies".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What I wear in the evening AFTER showering from port visits will be what I wear the next day. I don't change multiple times a day unless its into swimwear. 7 day cruise, 3 bottoms and 7 tops that all coordinate with each other. If you need to dress for dinner (depends on the cruise line) then bring a black skirt that will be worn every night and change out a couple of tops and add a scarf or other jewellery to liven it up.

Nobody on board cares if you wear an outfit more than once!!

This is what I do, too! Fresh outfit for dinner then wear the same top in port the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
Lot's of good advice - but some was off the mark. OP was driving to the port - so "packing light" is imposing a needless restriction. With baggage handlers at the terminal and loading and unloading your car in your own driveway there is no reason to not bring enough for several changes per day.

As with everything else, context counts- if you are flying, or having a pre-or post-cruise activity, packing light might be a good idea - but a needless exercise in OP's case.

Shoot, then this is a bunch of worry over nothing. If I was driving to the port I would pack everything I own and not worry about it.

Febreeze. best invention ever for light packers. spritz your clothing down at night and hang. next morning, almost fresh as a daisy.

This is the best thing ever. As long as your clothes aren't actually dirty, you can spray them and rewear them. Also, I'm not sure how well this actually works, but some really light travelers/backpackers will bring an empty spray bottle and a dryer sheet to make their own Febreze without the liquid (until you need it)--avoiding the liquid issues with TSA and avoiding the weight. It's probably overkill on cruise packing, though, as people usually bring enough that it needs to be checked and the weight of 3 oz of Febreze isn't going to make or break you.

If you're really into saving weight and space, you can get sink-washable underwear. Bras can be washed out in the sink, of course, and don't usually get too gross. Your dinner clothes could be reworn...who's going to notice or care if you're in the same pair of slacks?

I've got my fourth cruise coming up, and you'd figure I'd be packing lighter with each one by this point, but my "to pack" list (already created for a trip that's months away, for some reason) is a damned monster. I'll minimize in the sense of one pair of slacks and a bottle of Febreze, but I'm planning on bringing a sun hat, an underwater camera, snorkel gear, different sandals...because oh well.

WE drive to the port 95% of the time. We each carry on our suite cases. Two 20 -21 inch rolling cases each. Each one has extra space left in it. I can not believe what I can get in them. I have in mine two outfits for each day. My DH even fits his tux in. The trick for me is to get clothing that is not bulky, light in weight and does not wrinkle.

I have been trying to cut down in the amount that I bring. We mainly cruise on Princess and we get unlimited free laundry and pressing service. So, I have been trying to take advance of that too. But, I like to wear different things, so it is hard to cut down.